What makes peoples personnel cruises so different....

Essentially

This has got me wondering:confused:.....I have been reading cruise reviews on a U.K website.....and there are quite a few reviews on the same ship....same date.....same destination etc. Most of the reviews averaged 3.5/4 out of 5.....I read that most people ate in the same restaurant/s etc.....and most tried out others. So why have a minority of people written such wrotten reports 1/2 out of 5.....and it is a very small minority.....is it ones expectations....is it age specific......honestly it quite baffles me. Maybe one persons lemonade is anothers champagne and vice versa.:o If that makes sense....hmmmm!

This has got me wondering:confused:.....I have been reading cruise reviews on a U.K website.....and there are quite a few reviews on the same ship....same date.....same destination etc. Most of the reviews averaged 3.5/4 out of 5.....I read that most people ate in the same restaurant/s etc.....and most tried out others. So why have a minority of people written such wrotten reports 1/2 out of 5.....and it is a very small minority.....is it ones expectations....is it age specific......honestly it quite baffles me. Maybe one persons lemonade is anothers champagne and vice versa.:o If that makes sense....hmmmm!

One of the most important aspects of cruising in my opinion, is to go on board in a good frame of mind. If a person does this I believe that small faults may be overlooked, while the good things stay with the cruiser.

I will admit that one time, I went on a cruise with a chip on my shoulder, [caused by the cruise line on boarding], and I wrote a scathing report on these boards. I was justified in part, since other reports on that ship were not at all favourable, but I still maintain that had that been my first cruise it would have been my last.

The above may help to answer your question.

On a different topic I noted your location, I used to live in Bexhill, and I went to agricultural school at Plumpton. I also taught radar while in the army at Storrington.

I am now in The Okanagan Valley [wine country] in British Columbia. I read the story of how Merrydown Cider started wine production in England, but I'll tell you the made a great cider. I understand that the now operate across the Channel.

All the best on your next cruise.:)

john

I look at it that if 10 people have great things to say and one person has negative things to say...I'm going to favor what the 10 people had to say. Not everything appeals to everyone, and we all know that food is such a subjective topic. I would recommend that you continue to read whatever reviews you can find, and make the choice that best suits your criteria. Best of luck!:)

Though we ALL have our different opinions, I HONESTLY believe that people who give say a 1 or a 2, are probably people who generally complain about any and everything.

If you keep reading bad or low reviews, you will get on the ship and look for every "nook and cranny" to make their point. However if you read nothing but good reviews you just might expect too much.

Just remember one thing:

YOUR ON VACATION!

Tim

Though we ALL have our different opinions, I HONESTLY believe that people who give say a 1 or a 2, are probably people who generally complain about any and everything.

If you keep reading bad or low reviews, you will get on the ship and look for every "nook and cranny" to make their point. However if you read nothing but good reviews you just might expect too much.

Just remember one thing:

YOUR ON VACATION!

Tim

I agree totally.

Some people for some reason will never be happy and they look for things to justify their unhappiness. These are the people who are always the victim and nothing is ever their fault.

I look at it this way: The worst possible day on a cruise ship (short of sinking) is 10 times better than being at home and work.

Happy Sailings.

Very eloquently put....these were exactly my thoughts......some people just seem to be moaners.....funny enough on a different subject I have a friend of 19 years and my husband says he always knows when I've been chatting to her, as she is a cup half empty person... I come off the telephone feeling decidedly glum.:mad:.I'm defo cup half full. I'm 54 feeling 40...shes 57 going on 80......hmmm! Anyway back to topic.......the only expectations me and hubby have are of a lovely holiday with happy people on wonderful liners, seeing great locations ......being pampered etc and not having to think about anything. Sheer bliss.

Very eloquently put....these were exactly my thoughts......some people just seem to be moaners.....funny enough on a different subject I have a friend of 19 years and my husband says he always knows when I've been chatting to her, as she is a cup half empty person... I come off the telephone feeling decidedly glum.:mad:.I'm defo cup half full. I'm 54 feeling 40...shes 57 going on 80......hmmm! Anyway back to topic.......the only expectations me and hubby have are of a lovely holiday with happy people on wonderful liners, seeing great locations ......being pampered etc and not having to think about anything. Sheer bliss.

Everyone experiences things differently! What might be "haute cuisine" to you, may be "slop" to me!

Some folks want non-stop excitement on vacation---other's want total peace and quiet...everyone is different!

It's not so much that folks are "whiners", but they just experienced the cruise differently than you!

For me it would take alot to hate a cruise. I know they are going to vary due to variables-ports, weather, people on the ship etc. The food is the least important. I always can find something somewhere to eat on the ship. One night in a specialty restaurant will be my special dining experience.

I know that one ship can vary to the next or the lines themselves. Even on land vacations..hotels vary etc. For me getting away is a blessing and I appreciate it. Especially since we did not travel much during our 37 yrs of marriage. Even with the children. We worked hard and often extra hrs as a nurse and pharmacist. I would change that if I could. With us getting older we feel we have time to make up for.

When I look out of my balcony any time of the day or night it brings me peace and I will never let little things ever take that away when on a cruise. Those times are what I enjoy the most or just sitting and chatting with people with a nice drink.

I do realize that incidents happen. Hey even the best doctors will miss a diagnosis or a patient will have a complication from surgery. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt though as they report them. Some will complain no matter what as said on earlier posts and some can have the worst experiences and still find good in them. We are all different.

Laura

• 1 year later...
For me it would take alot to hate a cruise. I know they are going to vary due to variables-ports, weather, people on the ship etc. The food is the least important. I always can find something somewhere to eat on the ship. One night in a specialty restaurant will be my special dining experience.

I know that one ship can vary to the next or the lines themselves. Even on land vacations..hotels vary etc. For me getting away is a blessing and I appreciate it. Especially since we did not travel much during our 37 yrs of marriage. Even with the children. We worked hard and often extra hrs as a nurse and pharmacist. I would change that if I could. With us getting older we feel we have time to make up for.

When I look out of my balcony any time of the day or night it brings me peace and I will never let little things ever take that away when on a cruise. Those times are what I enjoy the most or just sitting and chatting with people with a nice drink.

I do realize that incidents happen. Hey even the best doctors will miss a diagnosis or a patient will have a complication from surgery. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt though as they report them. Some will complain no matter what as said on earlier posts and some can have the worst experiences and still find good in them. We are all different.

Laura

Very well said.

• 4 weeks later...

We went on our first cruise not knowing what to expect. We were celebrating my parents 50th Anniversary. Everyone had such a great time, we were hooked on cruising. We now book a balcony cabin, but we had a few days in April for Spring Break and the only thing available for our dates was a 4-night on Monarch in an OV cabin. Our TA was very worried that we would not enjoy ourselves. We knew the ship was older (the oldest in RCCL fleet), smaller and didn't have all the bells and whistles. We went to relax and let someone pamper us for a few days. We had a great time and came back with good things to say about the cruise, in spite of the tiniest cabin we've EVER had on a ship. A large group down the hall from us congregated in the hall outside their cabins complaining about everything from the food, room, room service, ports, water pressure, shower stalls, beach towels, price of the drinks...you name it! I don't think any of them smiled during the whole cruise. We were on the same ship, ate the same food, showered with the same water pressure, drank the same priced drinks...different strokes for different folks. Some people love camping but I'm sure if I went with them, I would be a whiner...:eek:. I just don't let it worry me or ruin my cruise.

One of the most important aspects of cruising in my opinion, is to go on board in a good frame of mind. If a person does this I believe that small faults may be overlooked, while the good things stay with the cruiser.

I will admit that one time, I went on a cruise with a chip on my shoulder, [caused by the cruise line on boarding], and I wrote a scathing report on these boards. I was justified in part, since other reports on that ship were not at all favourable, but I still maintain that had that been my first cruise it would have been my last.

The above may help to answer your question.

On a different topic I noted your location, I used to live in Bexhill, and I went to agricultural school at Plumpton. I also taught radar while in the army at Storrington.

I am now in The Okanagan Valley [wine country] in British Columbia. I read the story of how Merrydown Cider started wine production in England, but I'll tell you the made a great cider. I understand that the now operate across the Channel.

All the best on your next cruise.:)

john

Attitude

• 1 month later...

What people forget in life is that you can't change the wind, but you can adjust your sails. My DH almost died from cancer, every day with him on earth with me is a good day. It's all on how we look at things. I can make a mountain out of a mole hill, and the squeakiest wheel is the one that gets the grease, but when I leave a place I want to be remebered in kindness, not bitterness.

Don't know if it's this way in England, but in America if you are from the northern states and you give your customer an honest answer-even if it's painful, they accept it, when I moved to the south I was told by everyone that I worked for, that no one wants the cold hard truth, I had to stall, and sugar coat everything. Yuck, but that's just the way it is here. I also think that people who are from the big city and have every thing at their fingertips 24/7 are more likeley to complain than a farmer in lets say Iowa or Vermont, who at home may have to drive 10 -100 miles to find something they need, and sadly to say in a report today, there are more city mice, than country mice.:(

Archived