AMEX Platinum vs OBC

MGnut

American Express wants me to upgrade my account to the Platinum level, saying one of the perks is a $300 OBC when paying for the cruise with it. Has anybody done this? The fine print - that you don't see until you get the card - is that it can't be combined with other OBCs.

Anyone with experience on this care to comment? Can we get the OBC?

Thanks.

We have been using the AMEX Platinum for years. I believe it costs 450.00 per year now. We cruise at least twice a year so it pays us to have it. We also have FCC with OBC's, shareholder (Carnival) OBC's and group OBC's. We usually get about 500.00 total combines with the AMEX. Years ago it was not combinable or the shareholder was not combinable. I usually went for the best OBC.

We are on the IP in October and currently have 600.00 in OBC's

You need to see if you are going to benefit from it after the annual dues. You also must pay for the entire cruise on the AMEX. Not all cruise lines are part of the benefit.

Hope this helps.

We have had the platinum card for years. It has NEVER given us any on board credit! We were told we had to book the cruise through American Express and the couple of times that I priced it the price our TA was charging was way less than Amex and the credit wouldn't have made up the difference. (Frankathy- I haven't tried to get OBC from Amex for a couple of years. Has anything changed?)

However, we do book the whole trip with Amex because that ensures us emergency evacuation coverage. (I was told! :confused:)

Also, we do use the airline clubs.

You supposedly get a second airline ticket when purchasing one first class ticket with it but that has always been cost prohibitive.

For all those reading this - do you know anyone who has ever used the emergency evacuation insurance?

You do not need to go thru PTS.

Your Travel agent must call AMEX and get a tracking number. Than they need to call Princess with the tracking number. Princess adds it to the booking.

Suites get $300.00 OBC. Below that you get a two category upgrade, if you book an AA cabin they will discount the cabin (this happened to us a few years ago).

Other Perks:

First night only Complimentary Sabatini's with wine and a welcome bottle of Champagne.

Chamima - Are you booking thru a travel agent? I have been getting them since 2000. I have one on each future cruise. Except when they are under 7 days.

I was not aware of the emergency evacuation. I will do some research. I always purchase good travel insurance.

I have tried the American Airlines club but was turned away since it was a discounted 1st class ticket $1500.00 each way was discounted?

I just booked with AMEX. I had a wonderful experience. I did originally book through Princess, but I found out about the perks with my Platinum card and had them take over my booking. I did get upgrades and Sabatini's for the first night. It was worth it to me. I did also get money back as a travel reward for paying for my trip with my AMEX, not OBC but still money!! ;)

Hi Paul,

This is not true. Even in the book they send every year has on the back for the travel agent to call a special 800 number at AMEX. I have again been doing this for years thru a travel agent and have the OBC credit on my future bookings.

I have heard that if you book directly with Princess you can not get the benefit.

You do not need to go thru PTS.

Your Travel agent must call AMEX and get a tracking number. Than they need to call Princess with the tracking number. Princess adds it to the booking.

Suites get $300.00 OBC. Below that you get a two category upgrade, if you book an AA cabin they will discount the cabin (this happened to us a few years ago).

Other Perks:

First night only Complimentary Sabatini's with wine and a welcome bottle of Champagne.

Chamima - Are you booking thru a travel agent? I have been getting them since 2000. I have one on each future cruise. Except when they are under 7 days.

I was not aware of the emergency evacuation. I will do some research. I always purchase good travel insurance.

I have tried the American Airlines club but was turned away since it was a discounted 1st class ticket $1500.00 each way was discounted?

What happens if we don't want an upgrade? We always try to book the aft corner BB cabins and don't want to move! Had a suite last year - I guess that's a $300 lesson.

Isn't the bottom line this -

You have to book through Amex travel and you get an OBC

What if the price through Princess direct or another on line agency is hundreds less and you're paying to own a card that really saves you nothing?

:confused:

Talk to your trvel agent and explain that you want a certain cabin but maybe they can get you a two category discount on the BB. I like those cabins as well. The balcony make such a difference on the aft. We liked B751.

Isn't the bottom line this -

You have to book through Amex travel and you get an OBC

What if the price through Princess direct or another on line agency is hundreds less and you're paying to own a card that really saves you nothing?

:confused:

Hi Veronica13,

I have never used PTS and still get the OBC for the suite.I think there are some lazy travel agents that don't want to make two extra phone calls for their clients. Make sure you use a travel agent willing to do this. I always get Princess' lowest rate and I get it adjusted before the final payment if I see it cheaper.

Hav a great day!

Thanks for all the comments, and keep them coming. The AMEX sales person said that we did Not have to book through AMEX, but that the TA we used needed to use a certain Princess phone number when making the payment (not the booking). I hope that's the case. I've got my TA checking on it.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the comments, and keep them coming. The AMEX sales person said that we did Not have to book through AMEX, but that the TA we used needed to use a certain Princess phone number when making the payment (not the booking). I hope that's the case. I've got my TA checking on it.

I've got my fingers crossed.

What is that phone number, please?

(Did you ask about the Emergency evacuation by any chance?)

What is that phone number, please?

(Did you ask about the Emergency evacuation by any chance?)

According to the information I have, my TA is supposed to contact AMEX's CCP (Cruise Privileges Program) at 800-443-7672 for details and requirements.

According to the information I have, my TA is supposed to contact AMEX's CCP (Cruise Privileges Program) at 800-443-7672 for details and requirements.

Many Thanks! I will pass this info to my TA.

Thanks for the info about the non pts travel and perks with your travel agent. We have really been missing out on this. We used to book with pts, but now find that other places have great deals. As for the airline clubs, Delta and Contintal have been in the program for years, doesn't matter what class of ticket as long as it is only their airline. American was added two years ago. This is the one perk we really use, as business now requires coach travel. You are may bring one guest into the lounge with you. We still get the free breakfast and upgrades at the hotels. As for the two for one first class, this program has been scaled back.

i booked my last cruise thru pts. if i booked a suite i would get a $ 300 obc. i choose to book a mini suite. i received a 2 cabin upgrade. the dinner at sabbittins which by the way appears as a credit on your bill.you dont have to go first night. the maitre d at sabbitinis told me that and he was correct. i was told i could exchange my bottle of champaign for a non alcholic. that part did not happen and was only offered a glass of champaign. I also received double reward points which i received about 6 weeks after the cruise.

We charged our trip on our no fee Costco Amex card and get 3% cash back for the entire cost of the cruise, airfare, hotels (all travel expenses). Plus our TA kicked in $50 PP OBC on top of the $100 PP OBC from Princess for leaving a deposit on our previous cruise.

Can anyone clarify/confirm if this is also a perk for those who hold Canadian AMEX Platinum? I had looked on the website before booking, but didn't see Princess listed as a line for which they provided a benefit (but I got OBC for a Regent cruise I booked for next year).

Thanks.

For any of you Canadians out there, I did confirm that this is applicable (exactly the same benefit as described by others) to Canadian issued AMEX Platinums as well. So I have my TA on it for our next cruise.... at least I used the right card for the deposit!

Thank you for this thread. I had no idea that I could get any benefit from using my Platinium AMEX to pay for the cruise. After reading the thread, I contacted my TA who was able to get me a $100.00 discount off my cabin (category BC on an upcming CB cruise) complimentary dinner at Sabitini's (first night) and bottle of champagne. I was told by my TA that she had to contact Princess and get a tracking number. I did not contact AMEX directly. Again, thanks to all that posted on this thread.

Larry

We upgraded to Platinum before our last cruise in February 2009 to get buy 1 / get 1 airline tix to FLL. That worked. So we saved about $300, but spent $450. Then, we booked through AMEX Travel. That worked well, but since our OBC's from our FCS was better than what AMEX could give us, and we could not have both ... well ..... AMEX did give us a free dinner in Sabatini's ... on sail-a-way night only. We were too tired. I think we got a bottle of champagne and a free portrait ($25), too.

Since then, AMEX has dropped the buy 1 / get 1 airline tix program, both domestic and international. We used points for our cruise in August (EWR - Rome - EWR) and again, our OBCs from our FCS were much better that what AMEX could offer.

We've since downgraded to a Green Card. The Platinum ain't what it used to be, IMO.

We actually booked through AMEX Travel again for this cruise, as the agent and I established a rapport. But it had nothing to do with being Platinum, Gold or Green.

fwiw, i was told by my ta that the amex platinum amenity does not apply to flash promotions. (i was told by amex that it didn't matter.) a phone agent at princess confirmed this, but was unable to point me to anything in print verifying this. :rolleyes:

We charged our trip on our no fee Costco Amex card and get 3% cash back for the entire cost of the cruise, airfare, hotels (all travel expenses). Plus our TA kicked in $50 PP OBC on top of the $100 PP OBC from Princess for leaving a deposit on our previous cruise.

For travel the Costco card gives you 2% back, not 3%. The 3% is for gas and restuarants. I have the same card.

http://www201.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Costco-TrueEarnings

Archived