interested in anyone who has gone on this tour

Name Of The Game

I know Victor Bodden gets many wonderful recommendations, but I am specifically interested in anyone who has gone on this tour:

http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/RoatanIslandTours.html

Victor's would cost $80.00 for two people (plus any add'l admission charges) while Roatan Cruise Excursions would only cost $60.00 and includes the $8.00 admission to the iguana farm, which we are interested in. While the difference in money would by no means break us, it could be used for the driver's tip. Just wanted to see if anyone has taken THIS specific island tour and what they thought of it.

Thanks!

Remember that the tour you're looking at is only 4 hours - with Bodden you have your driver for as long as you want and you'll want to compare apples to apples. Our driver Tex picked met us at 8:30 and returned us to the ship a little after 3 PM and only then because I was tired!

We really don't need the longer time because we'd want to be back on the ship at 2:00. I also get the feeling Victor tells his drivers to bring everyone to his house because that extra $2.00 a head per day really adds up to extra revenue for him. We'd rather see the iguanas than have monkeys climb on us.

It seems no matter what driver people have from Victor's group they always end up going to Victor's house so he probably strongly encourages it, or maybe even reprimands the drivers if they don't. In any case, I wanted to hear if anyone had used the other tour.

It seems no matter what driver people have from Victor's group they always end up going to Victor's house so he probably strongly encourages it, or maybe even reprimands the drivers if they don't. In any case, I wanted to hear if anyone had used the other tour.

Ive gone with Bodden tours 4 separerate times. We have only requested to see them monkeys once (as we booked our online tour) They were awesome and we got lots of great pictures. The $2 "contribution" to see the monkeys helps feed the monkeys, deer, raccons, island rabbits, katamundil, parrots, etc. tht he boards on his property.

For the three subsequent tours, we did not request the monkeys and they were not even mentioned on our tours of the island. We did get to enjoy the monkeys once again on this last trip, though, as they are included FREE with both his Zip-N-Dip excursion and Mayan Jungle Canopy tours. It was great seeing them as an added bonus to enjoying his terrific zipline! There were a lot more monkeys and parrots on this second trip and the cages have been updated and are actully looking quite comfortable for the variuos animal inhabitants.

From the people we have met at Victor's Monkey Business, I have sensed no "coersion" by the guide to get them to spend a big $2, so I'm sure these tours were all requested online, as well. After spending lots of time with the monkeys the two times we went...we concluded that it is truly unique experience. My wife loves sitting in the cage...I like observing from the outside. It's just amazing stuff...and for only $2! From the huge smiles on the others faces, I'm sure they didn't mind forking out the extra $2 per person either. But, if it's not your thing, on a Bodden Tour, you can just skip it since you only do things that you choose to do and see the places that you have requested to see.

Additionally, I can't imagine Victor repremanding ANY of his guides...he is one of the most sweet, even tempered, easy going people that I've ever met. I guess that's why he's able to keeps so many wonderful guides working for him instead of striking out on their own!

More people may not have used the excursion you're looking at since it is offered by a company in the Cayman Islands...I think I'll continue spending my money "locally" with guides that grew up on thier island, trying to earn money to improve thier island...but, that's just me!

I don't know about this company being located in the Cayman Islands but I do know it is affiliated with Island Marketing, which sells tours all over the caribbean. I know paying an $2.00 isn't a lot, my point being that if he has 30 people on tours a day and he makes an extra $60 a day from that or over $1000 a month, I could see how Victor would want his drivers to keep bringing the passengers back there. Regardless I was just wondering how the other tour was. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Ive gone with Bodden tours 4 separerate times. We have only requested to see them monkeys once (as we booked our online tour) They were awesome and we got lots of great pictures. The $2 "contribution" to see the monkeys helps feed the monkeys, deer, raccons, island rabbits, katamundil, parrots, etc. tht he boards on his property.

For the three subsequent tours, we did not request the monkeys and they were not even mentioned on our tours of the island. We did get to enjoy the monkeys once again on this last trip, though, as they are included FREE with both his Zip-N-Dip excursion and Mayan Jungle Canopy tours. It was great seeing them as an added bonus to enjoying his terrific zipline! There were a lot more monkeys and parrots on this second trip and the cages have been updated and are actully looking quite comfortable for the variuos animal inhabitants.

From the people we have met at Victor's Monkey Business, I have sensed no "coersion" by the guide to get them to spend a big $2, so I'm sure these tours were all requested online, as well. After spending lots of time with the monkeys the two times we went...we concluded that it is truly unique experience. My wife loves sitting in the cage...I like observing from the outside. It's just amazing stuff...and for only $2! From the huge smiles on the others faces, I'm sure they didn't mind forking out the extra $2 per person either. But, if it's not your thing, on a Bodden Tour, you can just skip it since you only do things that you choose to do and see the places that you have requested to see.

Additionally, I can't imagine Victor repremanding ANY of his guides...he is one of the most sweet, even tempered, easy going people that I've ever met. I guess that's why he's able to keeps so many wonderful guides working for him instead of striking out on their own!

More people may not have used the excursion you're looking at since it is offered by a company in the Cayman Islands...I think I'll continue spending my money "locally" with guides that grew up on thier island, trying to earn money to improve thier island...but, that's just me!

Nice post and thanks so much for your opinion.....you've certainly got me considering of VB tour!!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Victor started bringing people to his home to see animals to avoid them having to pay the fees that were being charged at other places just to see one type of animal. We didn't pay extra, nor did we stay beyond the time that we wished. His family came out of their house and talked with us and answered questions that we had and did not accept a tip when offered.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from the Legend and we did take the Roatan Highlights Tour. Included in the $30.00 price was admission to the iguana farm (regularly $8.00 alone). They had a couple swinging monkeys in cages that were fun to watch but to be honest, I wouldn't want those monkeys climbing on me! The driver took us through the west and east sides of the island pointing out things and he took us to a beach where we could stay for 1-2 hours, it was up to us. The tour was well worth the price.

Island Marketing is a tour broker, not an actual operator, with connections throughout the Caribbean. They get, I believe, 20% up front, which they keep. The balance goes to the company that actually runs the tour, which, if I remember correctly, you pay upon arrival. It's a good way for locals to get their tours publicized and booked.

We used Bodden when we last visited Roatan a couple of years ago. There was no coersion of any kind, and the guide was excellent. It's just that there isn't much to see or do there. Having been there once, we've pretty much seen and done it all. We're booked on the 3/21/10 sailing on the Voyager of the Seas. Our plans this time are to remain on the ship.

Al

Things have changed A LOT in the last couple of years on Roatan. Roatan is a very beautiful Island that is worth the trip off the ship just to see the beautiful beach at West Bay and the unbelieveable snorkelling. What a shame to stay on board at this destination.

Meka ... it's all what you're used to. Having lived on the Gulf Coast of Florida for over 20 years, I have access to some of the world's most pristine beaches (Honeymoon Island is consistently rated #1 or #2, and is 10 minutes from my home). Snorkeling is a popular activity throughout the islands, hardly limited to Roatan. I find the venues of the eastern and southern Caribbean more to my liking. This does not mean, however, that Roatan doesn't have its highlights ... cruise lines wouldn't stop there otherwise. They're just not my favorites. We're going on the cruise because it's, (a) a short trip to the port, (b) very inexpensive, and © a Royal Caribbean mega-ship, which I love. That's the beauty of cruising ... you can do as much or as little as you wish, and still have the time of your life.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from the Legend and we did take the Roatan Highlights Tour. Included in the $30.00 price was admission to the iguana farm (regularly $8.00 alone). They had a couple swinging monkeys in cages that were fun to watch but to be honest, I wouldn't want those monkeys climbing on me! The driver took us through the west and east sides of the island pointing out things and he took us to a beach where we could stay for 1-2 hours, it was up to us. The tour was well worth the price.

Hi, we are thinking of doing that same tour. Did you like what you saw on it? Did you get to spend much time at the end at West Bay Beach? We are also thinking of just doing their West Bay beach break, and wondered if you thought West Bay was the best part of the tour, or other things you saw. But we are using Island Marketing for our Cozumel tour, which was only being offered by them.

Thanks for the insights.

Darn I copied & pasted 5 pictures from this tour but only one took. We don't even know the name of the beach we went to but here is one photo. It wasn't as nice as Carlos & Charlie's Beach in Cozumel. My mother went in the water in Cozumel but she would not leave her bag unattended in Roatan due to all the poor people after money. The iguana farm was cool and we went to a scenic outlook. I can post a couple more pictures individually if you'd like.

The beach you went to is in the West End (not the superb West Bay Beach). The scenic overlook is near/at a restaurant called The View and IIRC it's at Turquoise Bay?

Your comment about "poor people" is interesting - were either you or your mother approached by panhandlers or made to feel uncomfortable while on-island?

Darn I copied & pasted 5 pictures from this tour but only one took. We don't even know the name of the beach we went to but here is one photo. It wasn't as nice as Carlos & Charlie's Beach in Cozumel. My mother went in the water in Cozumel but she would not leave her bag unattended in Roatan due to all the poor people after money. The iguana farm was cool and we went to a scenic outlook. I can post a couple more pictures individually if you'd like.

Thank you so much! These pictures are superb! Wow! Great photography.

Yes, I agree that that is likely West End beach. Do you recall if you later went to West Bay beach?

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

The beach you went to is in the West End (not the superb West Bay Beach). The scenic overlook is near/at a restaurant called The View and IIRC it's at Turquoise Bay?

Your comment about "poor people" is interesting - were either you or your mother approached by panhandlers or made to feel uncomfortable while on-island?

What is your point? Obviously, some people feel intimidated by islanders that are in great need of money. Others, feel that this is simply part of the cruise experience. From what I can see, the original poster was not affected either way by the islanders. There IS a DO NOT VISIT post on the govt. board concerning Honduras. I think each person is able to make their own decisions regarding this port, thank you.

We did not take the tour you are interested in but we took another one by Roatan Cruise Excursions dba Island Marketing and it was terrific. I would highly recommend this company.

Jay B--we are thinking of using this company for all of our ports on our western caribbean cruise this Jan. We already booked through them for cozumel.

Did you happen to book through them for other ports?

thanks,

barb

All five came through and posted perfectly. Actually, they are the very best shots I have seen of Roatan (from a photographer's perspective).

Thank you for posting them.

I can see you have been sort of harangued by your posting. I think there is some sort of cliche of posters who hammer one individual tour operator over all others. I don't know what to say about this. This posting board is for customers cruising on cruise ships. We are looking for non-prejudiced information on the cruise ports we will be visiting from other cruisers who have been on the same tours.

Please understand that I have never been to Roatan, but am scheduled to come there in February. I want to feel that I am welcome.

Otherwise, with current the current political situation, and with the responses I've seen on many of these Roatan posts, exclaiming, why aren't you going with Victor?, I may just remain on the ship.

OK I don't know what happened, the first couple times I looked only one photo showed up now they suddenly appeared. We only went to the one beach and didn't stay too long, our choice plus it began to rain again. My mom was in her bathing suit and wanted to play catch with me in the water like she did in Cozumel but as soon as she got a chair she said there's no way she's leaving her bags unattended. People came up to her immediately selling things and assertively trying to talk her into getting her hair braided and massages. You'll see a photo of me playing catch with two local boys...wonder why they weren't in school? After a few minutes they asked if they could have $2.00 each. I got out and asked my mom, who said she only had a certain number of singles and might like to hand them to a few other people as we were leaving so as not to get mobbed with others looking for money. She told me to give the boys $1.00 each and to be discreet about it. Yes to be honest she couldn't relax there like she did in Cozumel. She also said the women's bathroom was filthy because the toilet wouldn't flush. Other than that, we enjoyed our tour for $30.00 with Island Marketing. The iguana farm alone is normally $8.00 admission. They had a couple monkeys swinging in a cage that were fun to watch but we wouldn't want them crawling all over us. The iguanas were eating cabbage leaves and were cool too. There were also a couple rabbits and some chickens & turkeys.

OK I don't know what happened, the first couple times I looked only one photo showed up now they suddenly appeared...

See my edit at the bottom of your post showing the pictures.

The pictures were there, but since they were listed horizontally instead of vertically you had to use the slide bar at the bottom of the page to scroll to the right to see them. The post was a verrrrrry w i d e post!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your time on Roatan. My husband and I are moving there full-time next year (retiring) and we're always interested in how others perceive their time on the island......thanks for clarifying.

Once we saw Roatan we never questioned that we would retire there.....

Archived