Shopping in New England

es_2009

Can any other shoppers out there offer me any advice for shopping in the following ports:

Bar Harbor

Portland (with a trip to Kennebunkport)

Boston

What are some of the highlights/lowlights of shopping at these ports? Where are he best areas for shopping? What are good souvenirs? How much time for shopping should I allow in each port?

*Note: I am not big into clothes shopping (though i do want to check out the LL Bean store in Portland I think), but more into crafy, home stuff like boutique stores.

Are you aware that Kennebunkport is about 45 mins to an hour or so away from Portland? That will eat into your time particularly if you want to go to LL Bean in Freeport which is in the other direction. You can spend hours in Kennebunkport just walking around Dock Square and looking in all the shops.

Boston has Quincy Market/Faneiul Hall. There are many shops there. It is not too far from the pier. There are some boutique type stores there as well as regular mainstream. Newbury Street is another option for high end boutique type places, but that is not really walking distance from Quincy Market or the pier.

Love your pic Sailbad.

Freeport is about 1/2 north of Portland and features many outlet stores in addition to the LL Bean Flagship Store. LL Bean is definitely worth a visit if this is your sort of thing. Some of the departments are in separate buildings in Freeport. K-Port is nice, but is just another small touristy gentrified Maine town. The Bush compound can be viewed across the water as it is on a point. As mentioned by Wog, K-Port is about 45 minutes south of Portland. The LL Bean, IMHO, is nothing great. Even though I work near it, I have rarely stopped in. I much prefer the Flagship. Within easy walking of the cruise ship is the Old Port Shopping District. Most shops are locally owned in this area. We enjoy looking at the Pottery Stores. There is a co-op that features works from many area potters. Another favourite is the Rock Lobster hot sauce store and boutique on Exchange Street. Enjoy your cruise and our wonderful city.

Bar Harbor will have small shops a lot with the normal tourist stuff. There are a few places to get paintings, christmas ornaments, jewelry stores (including rocks), a few tee-shirt stores, book stores, etc.

The "Cool as a Moose" sign ... as I sit here in my half price purple t-shirt that has the logo on it. The store mostly has tee-shirts with Maine "stuff" on it .... few other odd n ends. http://www.coolasamoose.com/

The Hemporium is always a big draw on the kids from our area ... (small town living, I guess) http://www.barharborhemp.com/ I found a lovely tourmaline necklace in there (It is the Maine stone).

I think Lyn Snow still have a shop on Main Street (I think -- I know she's in Rockland) http://www.lynsnow.com/ ... I like her pictures --- she used to have a booth at the Bangor art show.

Hope you enjoy your visit. Jan

Wow, lots of great info! Thanks for the tips! I have only left myself about an hour to shop in BH (after Lulu's and Acadia Tour) so I will have to do more of my shopping in Kennebunkport and Portland I suppose :) Only 84 days, and I am getting SOOO exicted!!

i would lvoe an hour in LL to try on cloths and look at other areas. go to freeport for the day. have lunch and shop. alos if staying in Portland go to Old Port and shop. there are historial homes there too to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you really want to see the Bush's summer home, I'd skip Kennebunkport and go up to Freeport. To do both in one day is way too much and Freeport has LLBean's and tons of shops. Just more fun. If you get a LLBean credit card, all the embroidery and shipping is free.

I think you will find you like the small stores right off the port in Portland to poke around in. Maybe they have changed, its been about 6 years since our visit.

Went to Bar Harbor last Sept. There are nice small shops in the port area of Bar Harbor. There were many blueberry products for sale in Bar Harbor and we brought back some great jam. I ended up buying candy to bring back to the kids (shaped like lobsters and cruise ships) The very best thing we bought there was the lobster roll!

Archived