Passport/Passport Card

We just booked our first cruise on the sky in December. We booked through NCL and was told by our CC that we will not need passports/passport cards. Everything I am reading including the government website says that we need a passport. We aren't sure if we should go ahead and get the passport card or not.

We just booked our first cruise on the sky in December. We booked through NCL and was told by our CC that we will not need passports/passport cards. Everything I am reading including the government website says that we need a passport. We aren't sure if we should go ahead and get the passport card or not.

Although I cannot comment on IF you need the passport or not, I can comment on which to get. In an effort save money for the four of us, we opted to get the passport card because we thought we were going to Mexico. Our cruise was cancelled and we found ourselves looking to book other cruises. Turns out, we couldn't do many of the ones we wanted because we only had the CARDS and not the full passport. So, my lesson was learned and if I could do it over- I would spend the money and get the full passports. JMO Good luck.

Can't comment if you need one because you do not state where you are going. Keep in mind though, the Passport Card is NOT acceptable on airlines, only the full passport is acceptable !!! If you must fly home in an emergency or want to go somewhere in the future that requires a flight, your screwed !!!! Pay the extra bucks and be fully covered.

I agree with the above post, if you are going to pay for anything, get the full passport. The passport card can only be used on the cruises that will also accept a certified BC and government ID; meaning that you get nothing special for spending your $45.

As for the government rule on this, you can find it here.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Look halfway down the page for the section titled "Closed Loop Cruises"

According to the below, you can travel to Bahamas with a passport CARD.

Someone mentioned that you could not fly with a passport CARD. Let me clarify that a little. you CAN fly with a passport CARD WITHIN the U.S.

U.S. citizens do not need to obtain visas to visit The Bahamas and may enter using either a passport or, if traveling by sea, a passport card. The Bahamas does not accept Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDLs) for entry. U.S. citizens planning on an extended stay of several months may be asked by Bahamian immigration authorities to provide proof or evidence of financial solvency upon entry to The Bahamas. Travelers arriving via private watercraft are charged docking fees.

I have yet to find a good reason for the passport card.

And, as to the flying domestic with one - you do not need either one. Any government issued ID (drivers license) is fine.

The idea behind the passport card is for land travel into\out of Canada and Mexico. It is a cheaper alternative to folks that do business "just over the border", but whom may never go "overseas"

I'm not sure anyone has directly answered the OP's original question of whether they needed a passport or passport card. (Someone did suggest they look up "closed loop" cruises.)

To the OP:

No, you don't need either a passport or a passport card to cruise on the Sky to the Bahamas from Miami. Your NCL cruise consultant was correct.

An original or certified (raised seal) birth certificate together with a government issued photo ID (such as a drivers license) is all that is required for this itinerary.

Although I cannot comment on IF you need the passport or not, I can comment on which to get. In an effort save money for the four of us, we opted to get the passport card because we thought we were going to Mexico. Our cruise was cancelled and we found ourselves looking to book other cruises. Turns out, we couldn't do many of the ones we wanted because we only had the CARDS and not the full passport. So, my lesson was learned and if I could do it over- I would spend the money and get the full passports. JMO Good luck.

When in doubt do your research before you decide what to do. If this poster would have checked into the PP cards on http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738_2.html , it would have been obvious that the PP cards are not the way to go for the typical American. They are pretty much made for people that commute back and forth over borders for work, shopping etc. - not for international travel. Research www.ncl.com as well as the state departments website to make sure as some rules changed June 1.

My 2 cents are - get a passport as they are so much easier to use instead of DL /BC. It's a matter of time anyway. It's about $100 and I got one a few years back when all of these changes started.

This is what I've found on the net

Beginning June 1st, 2009, all Carribean, Mexico and Canada cruise passengers will need a passport, or the new passport ID card, to re-enter the United States after a cruise EXCEPT for what are known as "closed loop cruises." A closed-loop cruise is one that stays within the Western Hemisphere and leaves and returns from the same place.

That said if something goes wrong and you need to fly home from Mexico or Canada - the passport card will do you no good - only a passport book is good for air travel.

If you are doing a closed loop cruise (round trip from the same port) from the US, you do not have to have passports.

This is not meant to start the should you have them discussion, just a statement that the US government does not require them for you to take the cruise.

As has been mentioned, if you are going to get anything get a passport, not the card, which is designed for people who cross the border on an almost daily basis, not for travelers.

I'm not sure anyone has directly answered the OP's original question of whether they needed a passport or passport card. (Someone did suggest they look up "closed loop" cruises.)

To the OP:

No, you don't need either a passport or a passport card to cruise on the Sky to the Bahamas from Miami. Your NCL cruise consultant was correct.

An original or certified (raised seal) birth certificate together with a government issued photo ID (such as a drivers license) is all that is required for this itinerary.

Just a minor correction or clarification. the birth certificate has to be certified. It does not have to have a raised seal as many jurisdicitons did away with raised seals in favor of special papers years ago.

Archived