Any tears over loss of Horizon???

M&M cruiseaholics

I guess with the influx of numerous new ships since 1990 (larger and with many new amenities), the transfer of the Horizon to a sister company in Europe may not be a big deal. But Horizon was mine and my wife's first cruise. We love to cruise - it's by far our favorite type of vacation - and cruising on the Horizon sealed our love of cruising. Even so, I guess it will always have a special place in our hearts.

With most lines increasing the number of ships, it's interesting that Celebrity has chosen to reduce in size.

We'll miss the Horizon.

Sorry, no tears here. Had to get that off our chests.

The good thing is its being transformed into a daytripper vs. being turned into razor blades.

Pretty sure the flames will start but keep things in mind. RCL didn't do this to PO folks. A ship without balcony's anymore are very difficult to fill so they had to do something.

Day tripper? Hardly. Most of the Med itineraries are 14 nights. Only a handful of 7 nighters.

Though it's better Horizon sail for Island Cruises than be relegated to 5 nighters out of Miami.... like Zenith.

Very, very sad she's leaving. It was the first cruise my husband and I took together & still has my favorite Michael's of all the ships. I'm trying to figure out a way to get in one last cruise, but the rates to Bermuda seem super high. I can't see how we could manage to do it, but I'm going to keep trying :(

Ok, I sailed Horizon last June. I have also been on Zenith,Galaxy, and Summit. I know everyone has their own opinion so here is mine.

It was nice and I had a great trip, but I wouldn't shed tears over the loss. The lack of balconies is a big drawback and given the choice(which I have)I won't sail without a balcony. I felt cramped on Horizon compared to Summit. We had trouble getting a seat for the shows, the martini bar is tiny and overcrowded, the restaurant feels cramped compared the the two level dining areas on the larger ships. Yes, you get to know your fellow passengers because the ship is small and you can't get away from them.

The crew was fabulous, but so was the crew on the other ships, so that is a tie.

Just my opinion so don't burn me too badly.

Since RCI is spending the money to retrofit her, I really believe that moving her to another subsidiary has more to do with the fact she doesn't have diesel engines than anything else. Heck, they are going to drydock her and make her competitive in the US market, but the fact that she still burns bunker fuel may be at the root of it all. She's considered a "dirty ship".

I really hope that Bermuda doesn't make a port that will allow the mega-ships to dock there. The first time we went to Cozumel it was such a fun port, now with 8-10 HUGE ships docked there routinely, it's turned into a port that I'll avoid like the plague from now on. As ports become more and more "accommodating" to the big ships, I can see myself choosing cruises based more on number of ships in each port to avoid the crowds. I can also see a day where I may not be able to cruise because I refuse to be on a ship that holds more than 2000 pax (why I love Celebrity), and refuse to be crushed in a port with more than 4 ships.

I am sorry to see her go. She was our first cruise and she will always be special. Since I am one of the people who isn't addicted to balconies it is no big deal to me that she has none.

Though I think there are better ships to cruise the Caribbean on, I think she is perfect for Bermuda. I don't think people have to worry about Bermuda being over run with mega ships. They seem to have pretty good control over things on that island.

Hilary,

Horizon is a diesel ship. The fact is, she is too small and old to compete in the US market and RCCL would have to spend a lot of money to bring her up to snuff and there's a great chance they would never recoup that investment.

Sad to see her go, I guess I'm relegated to cruising Crystal and Oceania.

Sorry, no tears here. Had to get that off our chests.

The good thing is its being transformed into a daytripper vs. being turned into razor blades.

Pretty sure the flames will start but keep things in mind. RCL didn't do this to PO folks. A ship without balcony's anymore are very difficult to fill so they had to do something.

In case you didn't read the press release, they are placing balconies and more cabins on the ship so in some sense that makes no sense. No flames, just the facts.

Don

The deisel fuel comment reminded me of the awful deisel smell near the midships elevator.

I can understand feelings of regret for your first ship experiance going away.. My first ship was Meridian and I fondly remember her. Now she's at the bottom. At least you have a chance to sail Horison again.

I have sailed only three Celebrity ships == Constellation, Century and Horizon.

Horizon was by far my favorite. These two old ladies (she and I) got along fine.

I don't "do" balconies, usually sailing solo and spending most of my time on the outer decks or public rooms, so that part does not bother me. Besides, no balcony fare means mroe cruising for this old age pensioner.

You can have your big M ships. I like the feel of the Horizon.

Sorry to see her go.

love

joan

And yes, Gail, come up with a good reunion cruise on her, and I'm your gal.

I will miss her completely! The Horizon had a certain coziness about her. She was the first one with the Rendezvous Lounge which has become a standard on all the Celebrity vessels. Now that she is going, my favorite,which is the only other ship we sailed twice, is the Century.

Anita

It is indeed very very said to see the ship that made Celebrity the most successful premium cruise line to ever exist leave the fleet. She is old now--- over 14 years. There is only a certain amount that they can do to keep her up. I am sure that the Zenith will leave the fleet by the end of the decade as well.

Am I wrong or did they not cancel the refurbishment of Horizon? I thought that originally they were going to do a mega-refurbishment but then they canceled it, taking a new approach of selling it.

One "official announcement" coming up.....

MIAMI, Dec. 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises' Horizon will move to the Island Cruises fleet in October 2005 under a six-year lease agreement arrangement with the British-based cruise line.

Island Cruises, created in May 2000, is the brand name of Sunshine Cruises Limited, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and First Choice Holidays PLC, one of the United Kingdom's largest integrated tour operators.

"Island Cruises has performed well in its first three years," said Jack Williams, president and chief operating officer of Celebrity Cruises. "By adding a ship, Island Cruises can continue to grow its brand and overall presence in Europe and South America. Horizon has served our Celebrity Cruises guests very well during the past 14 years and will continue to do so for the guests of Island Cruises."

Since its first sailing in spring 2002, Island Cruises has attracted a high number of first-time cruisers with its casual ambiance. The cruise line offers informal, flexible and affordable cruise vacations with open-seating dining and a relaxed dress code. It currently offers two transatlantic, six Brazilian and three Mediterranean itineraries on the 1,740-guest Island Escape. The line also offers combination cruise/hotel packages with 20 resort hotels in Majorca, Sao Paolo and Rio De Janeiro, as well as air/sea packages originating from 16 regional airports. Island Escape previously sailed as Royal Caribbean International's Viking Serenade.

"We couldn't be happier about the expansion of our fleet, especially with such a wonderful ship," said Michael Bayley, managing director of Island Cruises. "We look forward to growing our cruise line and providing our guests with even more alternatives for their cruise vacations."

Horizon will complete its current winter sailings to the Caribbean from the Port of Tampa and its summer 2005 Bermuda sailings from the Port of Philadelphia. The ship will be turned over to Island Cruises in late October. It will then enter drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, where it will undergo extensive refurbishment, including the addition of two restaurants, 59 staterooms and 50 balconies.

The ship will enter service for Island Cruises in December in Brazil under a new name. The ship will sail from Brazil during winters and in the Mediterranean during summers.

Horizon joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in May 1990 and was built by Jos. L. Myer GmbH & Co. of Papenburg, Germany. It was refurbished in October 1998. The 47,000 gross-registered-ton ship carries 1,700 guests

As posted on the Boards previously.

May I say I told everyone so.

When we were on the Millie this summer in Europe. we were told that the Horizon was being transferred and an annoucement was due in the fall(they even told us she would leave the fleet in Oct 2005). We were told at that time that they were looking for a buyer for Zenith and designing app 5 new ships for the Celebrity line with 3 smaller ships around 70,000-tons(if I remember correctly) and also 2 ships around 100-110,00 tons. When I got back and posted this I was slammed by the people on this board, so I really have not visited and posted since!!!!!!!!! guess I say "I told you so. again"

Archived