Travel Insurance ?

I have always purchased insurance in the past, but it seems that it has gotten more confusing than ever! MY DH & I will be sailing in August ( made final payment 6/10 & dep. in Jan. The ins. co. are saying that because I did not purchase at time of deposit-why would I when I could cancel without penalty:confused:-I can not get the cancel for any reason option. Our concern is that while my DH & I don't have any pre-existing medical, family members-who are not travelling-do have them. Does anyone know of a company that will cover pre-existing? Hopefully someone will have an answer!

Thanks!

Sandi

There are a couple that will cover pre-existing conditions, BUT they have to be purchased within 24 hours of final payment...and I'm afraid you've passed that dead line as well... a good site to check out is

insuremytrip.com... you can compare many companies to get the best coverage for your money. The 2 that showed up that could be bought after final payment were CSA Webdirect Luxe & HTH Worldwide..you do lose the cancel for any reason option...which I think is extra in most cases anyhow...

I know we will be using a similar company next year, as we have a cruise booked for Oct. 2010 & I do not want to tie up insurance money for over a year...

I have always purchased insurance in the past, but it seems that it has gotten more confusing than ever! MY DH & I will be sailing in August ( made final payment 6/10 & dep. in Jan. The ins. co. are saying that because I did not purchase at time of deposit-why would I when I could cancel without penalty:confused:-I can not get the cancel for any reason option. Our concern is that while my DH & I don't have any pre-existing medical, family members-who are not travelling-do have them. Does anyone know of a company that will cover pre-existing? Hopefully someone will have an answer!

Thanks!

Sandi

Sandi, you need to actually call and speak with a rep from a provider or two. Try TravelSafe for example and let them know your concerns about pre-existing conditions.

This whole thing is ridiculous! Why in the world would I have to purchase insurance at the time of deposit when if I cancel I get my deposit back but not the money I give to the insurance company:mad:. In the past, it was always that you could purchase the insurance within 14 days of final-I did it last year. I will check out a few more sites, but right now it looks like we'll have to take our chances without insurance.

Sandi

I can't recall which company we used that let us purchase insurance after final payment by a few days...not a few weeks. I think it was part of AIG. The only company I found this time was HTH Worldwide which allowed purchase within 24 hours for pre-existing conditions waivers.

Good luck.

This whole thing is ridiculous! Why in the world would I have to purchase insurance at the time of deposit when if I cancel I get my deposit back but not the money I give to the insurance company:mad:. In the past, it was always that you could purchase the insurance within 14 days of final-I did it last year. I will check out a few more sites, but right now it looks like we'll have to take our chances without insurance.

Sandi

Even when I was researching insurance last year for our cruise, I never saw a company that allowed up to 14 days AFTER final payment to get pre-existing coverage. There was only one company that offered the waiver, and you had to buy it within 24 hours of making final payment.

Its really not so ridiculous. Pre-existing conditions can pop up at ANY time, and the insurance company is indeed 'insuring' you for that from the moment you purchase the policy. They are taking on the risk.

Think about it. If you booked a cruise 18 months in advance and 6 months later someone in your family falls ill. Would you cancel your trip then? Probably not; chances are you'd wait and see how things were going. With the insurance, you have even MORE time to wait to make that decision; you don't need to cancel before you make final payment. You can take the chance that all will be fine and go on your trip knowing full well that even ONE day before you're due to leave, you can get a refund if something happens to that relative.

Its no different than car insurance. You can't ask the company to give you your premium back if after five years you never had an accident or made a claim and decide to sell the car.

I have researched this allot and have never found a company that allows us to buy cancellation or pre-existing coverage after final payment was made.

There was only one company as stated above that you could pay extra for pre-existing coverage.

Cancellation cover age is really for those last 3 months before you cruise after final payment, they are gambling you wont use it and so by having you buy it after the first payment (your deposit) is made, you are taking a gamble too. Fair is fair I guess.

HTH Worldwide allows you to purchase insurance with a pre-existing condition waiver within 24 hours of final payment. Currently this is the only company on insuremytrip that offers this. This company does not offer cancel for any reason. The companies that offer that coverage and the work related cancellation coverage require purchase at the time of deposit.

I bought an airlines ticket on 1/15 and purchased insurance. On 1/19 date of biopsy it was determined I had cancer. Since the original Mamogram was 1/2, they denied my claim. Saying it was pre-existing. Reason I cancelled was after my second surgery, I developed an infection on 4/22 ???? I am so upset. Next year I need to research this insurance business, as I am already committed for this years cruise.

p.s. I am appealing the claim.

I use Travelguard-they do have a 15 day rule that they waive the preexisting clause if you placed your first deposit down within 15 days of the insurance. I do agree that it becomes a problem if you decide to cancel your cruise. Call them and see what you can do if you cancel a far out dated cruise.

Thanks!

Sandi

Sandi, contact Steve at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

I am using their services again this year. He works with a number of different companies. We will also be purchasing our insurance in about 2 weeks since we paid our deposit on June 8th.

There is a lot of confusion regarding this issue and you should really call your insurance carrier to get the details. In many cases a medical condition that pre exists and is under control by a physician and has not changed for 90 - 180 days prior to the purchase of insurance is covered, even if the insurance is purchased after the 14 day deposit period.

I would suggest you google the following words: Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period. And click on the first link that comes up and read it. It is a very good explanation by an insurance company of what is covered and when.

Mike

There is a lot of confusion regarding this issue and you should really call your insurance carrier to get the details. In many cases a medical condition that pre exists and is under control by a physician and has not changed for 90 - 180 days prior to the purchase of insurance is covered, even if the insurance is purchased after the 14 day deposit period.

I would suggest you google the following words: Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period. And click on the first link that comes up and read it. It is a very good explanation by an insurance company of what is covered and when.

Mike

Mike, thanks. It's interesting to note that the article was written by the Tripinsurancestore, which I endorsed. Here is a direct link to the information:

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/3/lookback.shtml

I would think that the primary reason for you to purchase insurance has more to do with WHEN you are traveling... in this instance...

August is prime hurricane season... even if you took the precaution of arriving to your departure port a day or two early, you never know what could happen that could prevent you from boarding the ship and thus missing the cruise entirely or having to catch up with the ship a day or two later... insurance would be helpful in this situation...

Archived