Visiting Statue of Liberty on September 11th

sunneesmile

We are cruising out of New York City (RedHook) on September 12, 2009. We are planning to be in the city for a few days prior. We are considering going to the Statue of Liberty on September 11th and are going to attempt to get Monument and Crown passes (in advance) for that day as well.

My question, never having been in New York City on the anniversary of

9-11, will there be a lot of people visiting the Statue of Liberty because of 9-11? We truly do not know what to expect, but we do want to visit these national landmarks.

Any information that anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

We are cruising out of New York City (RedHook) on September 12, 2009. We are planning to be in the city for a few days prior. We are considering going to the Statue of Liberty on September 11th and are going to attempt to get Monument and Crown passes (in advance) for that day as well.

9-11, will there be a lot of people visiting the Statue of Liberty because of 9-11? We truly do not know what to expect, but we do want to visit these national landmarks.

IF it is a weekend, it will be wall to wall traffic and people. If it is on a weekday, it will still be crowded, if for no other reason than all the news coverage of the Memorials.

We will NOT pick up any freight south of Canal on 9-11. We reschedule to the preceding or next business day. Just too much traffic and confusion.

You may want to go to the WTC area for the Memorial services. If it was me, I sure wouldn't try to go to Statue of Liberty that day. It is a very reverent day in NYC-time to go to the Memorials and have a nice lunch and REMEMBER!!!!

There will not be extra people visiting the Statute, but security will be extra tight. It is hard to say what the memorial service will be in 2009 because it is now a contruction site. I know in 2008 they didn't want the families to go down there, but then they relented. As a NYr and as someone who personally knows several people who perished that day, I think that visiting the Statute and all that it stands for would be respectable on that day.

:oThanks Got2Cruise and greatam for your opinions.

We did decide to go to the Staue of Liberty on 9-11. We bought the crown passes as well. If security tightens and we can't access the pedestal or crown, then hopefully we will still get to stand at the feet of Lady Liberty and be thankful, like those who went before us, to live free in the United States of America with God's grace.

Our hotlel is in Times Square and we will most likely spend most of our day down that way paying respects at Ground Zero and seeing the sights of your great City. This is our first trip to NYC and we are excited to experience it.

:oThanks Got2Cruise and greatam for your opinions.

We did decide to go to the Staue of Liberty on 9-11. We bought the crown passes as well. If security tightens and we can't access the pedestal or crown, then hopefully we will still get to stand at the feet of Lady Liberty and be thankful, like those who went before us, to live free in the United States of America with God's grace.

Our hotlel is in Times Square and we will most likely spend most of our day down that way paying respects at Ground Zero and seeing the sights of your great City. This is our first trip to NYC and we are excited to experience it.

Overall, you need to allow for most of the day, if you are also including Ellis Island. Be aware you have two security lines to go though, for the boat, then the statue. Hopefully you have an early am start?? Anyway, get in line early, the boats are NOT specific to the time. They continously load and leave. Allow at least an hour in the statue security line- one time, I spent almost 2 hours there. Again, the times are NOT specific. It is continous. The "times" reserved are only to spread out the crowd. They don't access via the specific times. When you get there, head to the line.

Overall, you need to allow for most of the day, if you are also including Ellis Island. Be aware you have two security lines to go though, for the boat, then the statue. Hopefully you have an early am start?? Anyway, get in line early, the boats are NOT specific to the time. They continously load and leave. Allow at least an hour in the statue security line- one time, I spent almost 2 hours there. Again, the times are NOT specific. It is continous. The "times" reserved are only to spread out the crowd. They don't access via the specific times. When you get there, head to the line.

If we get there and get in line and pass security prior to the time on our ticket, do you think we will be allowed to board?

If we get there and get in line and pass security prior to the time on our ticket, do you think we will be allowed to board?

The time means nothing, as I said, they don't take "groups" or split up people, or call out "tour times". It's one continous line from opening to closing. This is for the boat and basic access pass, only. It will definately be another story for the crown access.

Teresa,

I copied the following off the website where we purchased our crown tickets, hope this helps...

This Reserve with Crown Ticket allows access up to the Crown of the Statue of Liberty. This Reserve Ticket allows you priority entry into the Security Screening Facility which saves you wait time at the departure point. The Reserve with Crown Ticket allows access to the Museum at the base of the Statue and the Pedestal Observation Deck. Audio Tours are available for an additional fee. Prior to entering the Statue of Liberty, there is a second security screening.

Kim

Teresa,

I copied the following off the website where we purchased our crown tickets, hope this helps...

This Reserve with Crown Ticket allows access up to the Crown of the Statue of Liberty. This Reserve Ticket allows you priority entry into the Security Screening Facility which saves you wait time at the departure point. The Reserve with Crown Ticket allows access to the Museum at the base of the Statue and the Pedestal Observation Deck. Audio Tours are available for an additional fee. Prior to entering the Statue of Liberty, there is a second security screening.

Kim

Thanks Kim...I did see that on the website. I was just curious that if we got to the Statue prior to the scheduled time that is on our tickets if we could just get in line and they would let us go up when it was our turn, even if it is prior to the time on the tickets.

• 2 weeks later...

That's going to be difficult because certain parts haven't been open since prior to 9/11. So imagine that tons of people will be looking to make the very same trip however if crowds don't really bother you and you plan to book tickets in advance you should be fine.

Archived