In port purchases get taxed in NJ.

Just a word of warning. Don't make any purchases on board any ship out of New Jersey until you leave port. All purchases made while docked will have NJ state sales tax added to the price. This includes the soda package that the cruise lines are pushing as soon as you board.

Just a word of warning. Don't make any purchases on board any ship out of New Jersey until you leave port. All purchases made while docked will have NJ state sales tax added to the price. This includes the soda package that the cruise lines are pushing as soon as you board.

Same as in Florida, although in my experience, they hand write the ticket for the soda card and then run the charge when they are international waters and don't charge sales tax.

Funny thing is, I just prepaid for a soda card for my next cruise and was not charged sales tax, just the 15% gratuity:confused:

Also, the sales tax stays in effect until the shops open up. On our Explorer cruise that was 1 1/2 hours after leaving Cape Liberty. They were charging sales tax on the soda cards.

Once the ship hit's those "international waters" is when the sales tax drifts into the wind ! :cool:

Well, I learned something today. I didn't know that sales tax was added on a purchase on the ship while still in port!!!

It's a bargain...even at California's 8.5%....in Canada, it would be about 13%..depending on the province.....;)

Well, I learned something today. I didn't know that sales tax was added on a purchase on the ship while still in port!!!

It's a bargain...even at California's 8.5%....in Canada, it would be about 13%..depending on the province.....;)

Isn't CC great? I learned it on my Majesty cruise. I was on the 4-nighter and sort of noticed I was being charged different amounts for my Bud Lights. I ended up thinking, "maybe I'm charged more if I have a pool attendant bring it to me, as opposed to getting it myself." But that theory ended up not working either. Sometimes I was charged about $5.70 for a Bud Light (yeesh) and other times I was charged over $6. I finally asked a bartender what was up and he explained that it depends on which port you're in, and I should hold off until we were out to sea.

Makes sense, I just never thought of it!

Same as in Florida, although in my experience, they hand write the ticket for the soda card and then run the charge when they are international waters and don't charge sales tax.

Funny thing is, I just prepaid for a soda card for my next cruise and was not charged sales tax, just the 15% gratuity:confused:

We bought a soda card for our son when we boarded Explorer in NJ. The ticket was handwritten and we weren't charged any tax. I didn't realise at the time that this was the reason.

Julie

I could die of thirst if we waited until the ships sails...

Sales tax is not going to stop us from buying our first on board adult beverage. Just another cost of cruising :D

###

Buying a drink is one thing, but buying soda cards for your whole family could be a little bit more costly.

Archived