June 7th - First Triumph Cruise out of NY - Review

crusinmama06

Seriously this is the best review I have ever read :) WOW !!!!

We had something similar on our NCL cruise with the Kids camp. I wouldn't cruise NCL again if someone paid me too. I would have to consider long and hard about this ship as well. Funny because I had told my husband that I would consider Carnival.

Sigh, as for the tips removal, I wish the cruise lines would add the entire costs of the tips onto the total cost of the cruise and make it mandatory that it gets paid up front when you pay the final payment. Easy Peasy :)

Thank you for such a great review and pictures, you and your girls are beautiful :)

How warm/cool was the weather?

New York was very warm - at least 80 degrees. Then Saint John was high in the 60's. The sea days were very cold because of the wind. But we did swim on the last sea day. We braved the cold and went for it :)

Michelle, remember before you left you said "As long as the ship doesn't ship, it will be a good cruise". :D

Sorry you didn't like this one. Was your youngest unhappy about everything you mentioned too? (Sometimes adults get more upset than the kids do)

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes that was our mantra the entire time. We spent some time talking about how we would handle our reviews and the one positive point we kept coming back to was "The ship didn't sink!"

And yes, my youngest knew what was going on. She cried on that formal night because she had to leave. She told her daddy when we got home that she wants "no more Carnival Ships" :eek:

You have to understand that on the Family Board, I always encourage people to take their YOUNG children on Carnival because of our past personal experiences with Camp. So I can't tell you how disappointed I was that when it was time for me to take my own family back, after telling 1,000's of others what a great program Carnival has, that it would turn out the way it did. :(

I could be wrong, but after reading the comments in the RCI thread, the OP seems a little snobbish to me.

Oh puhlease, if you knew me in person, that would be the last thing you would say about me. Go ask the roll call of the people who actually met me. I've been called many things in my life, snobbish is not one.

And welcome to Cruise Critic. Hopefully you'll stick around to add some more insightful posts.

Nice review Michelle! I have read alot of not so good things about the Triumph......so it is not one of the ships on the top of my list:D I would not give up on Carnival they do have some awesome ships....I myself did not like 2 Carnival ships and will never sail them again but I'm glad it didn't stop me from trying some of their better ones;)

Curious though.....how did you get the info that there were over 300 people removing their tips:confused: That's kind of odd......

Your pics are great and your kiddos are soo cute!

I could be wrong, but after reading the comments in the RCI thread, the OP seems a little snobbish to me.

PFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT (sound of coffee spitting out of my mouth on to the monitor).

Yes, you are definitely wrong.

Curious though.....how did you get the info that there were over 300 people removing their tips:confused: That's kind of odd......

It was kind of by accident, actually...lol. We knew there was a specific group onboard (won't get into it about their ethnicity because one of my fellow CCers here did in his review and it wasn't pretty - his is entitled, the Triumph June 7th to Canada The good, the bad and the ugly http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004537 ) The entire group was wearing yellow plastic visors so they were pretty recognizable all over the ship.

Well, when I went to the customer relations desk to add on some cash, there was a sea of yellow visor wearing people in front of me. The line stretched back into the lounge. The other CCers were waiting for me off to the side so they could see and hear the conversations at the desk. As I got closer, I could hear and see what they were doing, each person was being refunded that $40. And there was no such thing as WAITING in line. When more would show up, they would immediatly just funnel as a group to the front of the line.

Without getting into a racist issue, it does seem that non-Americans don't like to tip. My mom has noticed in Las Vegas that "they" do not leave tips on the table when leaving the buffet even after the hardworking women have been bustling around replenishing their drinks and removing dishes.

It was kind of by accident, actually...lol. We knew there was a specific group onboard (won't get into it about their ethnicity because one of my fellow CCers here did in his review and it wasn't pretty - his is entitled, the Triumph June 7th to Canada The good, the bad and the ugly http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1004537 ) The entire group was wearing yellow plastic visors so they were pretty recognizable all over the ship.

Well, when I went to the customer relations desk to add on some cash, there was a sea of yellow visor wearing people in front of me. The line stretched back into the lounge. The other CCers were waiting for me off to the side so they could see and hear the conversations at the desk. As I got closer, I could hear and see what they were doing, each person was being refunded that $40. And there was no such thing as WAITING in line. When more would show up, they would immediatly just funnel as a group to the front of the line.

Ok lol! I read it......I believe it;)

Michele,

Thanks for the review and pics. Sorry your cruise was not what you hoped for. I have to say that I did my first Carnival cruise and I had a wonderful time. I was on a refurb ship and I am sure that was a huge difference. We went on The Inspiration with my kids and it was wonderful. The upgrades were great and the waterworks were so much fun. They were open upon boarding. It was great for the kids to just jump into their swimsuits and start having fun. It was a great 5 day cruise and I did this one following RCCL Mariner of The Seas. I am now considering Carnival's Dream or maybe RCCL Navigator of the Seas.

Anyway, I am sure your next cruise will better. Thanks for all the information you provide here. You are truly so helpful.

Michelle

Michelle,

What a great review. DH and I will be on the Truimph on June 15 for the 5 day cruise to Canada. This is our first cruise so all your information is priceless. I was glad that you uploaded copies of the Capers----it gives us an idea of what to expect as far as on-board activities go.

Your photos were beautiful---specially the sunrise shots over the Bay of Fundy. I'll be doing the same thing and hope my photos come out as good as yours. Did you use a tripod? What kind of camera do you have?

Your daughters are just too cute for words. They looked like they enjoyed the cruise despite some of the problems you had.

You mentioned you saw whales? When was that? On a sea day? Were they very far from the ship? I'm bringing binoculars in hopes of spotting some.

Again, thanks for a wonderful review!

Deb

Without getting into a racist issue, it does seem that non-Americans don't like to tip. My mom has noticed in Las Vegas that "they" do not leave tips on the table when leaving the buffet even after the hardworking women have been bustling around replenishing their drinks and removing dishes.

We visit Vegas about 4 times a year....and your mom is right on!

Michele you sound hilarious , you would be a lot of fun to go cruising with. Thanks for the review and pics, I laught so loud at your views.

Your review sure can cure the desire to cruise with CC.

I enjoyed your review and am so glad you enjoyed your visit to my city. The St. Martins photos were lovely---it is one of my favourite spots for a Sunday drive.

The Triumph is back in port today. My husband & I did our traditional drive-by as we do when every ship is in port. We certainly ordered up some great weather today as it was a beautiful sunny day and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Did you use a tripod? What kind of camera do you have?

You mentioned you saw whales? When was that? On a sea day? Were they very far from the ship? I'm bringing binoculars in hopes of spotting some.

Deb, as far as camera, I just had my Olympus Stylus (waterproof digital) with me. No tripod, I used the balcony railing as my tripod. ;) Oh yeah, I was a sight to see...lol. Me in my PJs.

As far as the whales. I saw them when I went to visit the Littlefoot's Aft balcony. It was the first sea day evening....he posted the picture of the one I saw here...he grabbed his camera before I realized what he was shooting and I thought he was getting dolphins, then I saw the water spout, then the tail - AWESOME!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=19951910&postcount=40

Later my oldest daughter, who had been at the Lido having the camp carnival dinner told me that the kids noticed them too and went running to the windows to watch the whales.

I enjoyed your review and am so glad you enjoyed your visit to my city. The St. Martins photos were lovely---it is one of my favourite spots for a Sunday drive.

The Triumph is back in port today. My husband & I did our traditional drive-by as we do when every ship is in port. We certainly ordered up some great weather today as it was a beautiful sunny day and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

LOVELY area. And the people were all so friendly. It was truly the highlight of the trip. We had a great day on Tuesday too, so those ships must be bringing the nice weather with them. :D

I think it's wonderful how your town treats the cruise ship guests. The roses, pins and flags for everyone. We have never been treated so well in any port before. :)

At least you start off knowing that you probably are in the wrong, which if you knew the OP you wouldnt say could be you would say you were wrong. The OP has contributed so much to CC especially in regards to giving of her time to post capers for the parents of children and information for families. If being so giving and helpfull is your definition of snobby, then we all should be snobby, but my dictionary seems to define it a little differently.

LOVELY area. And the people were all so friendly. It was truly the highlight of the trip. We had a great day on Tuesday too, so those ships must be bringing the nice weather with them. :D

I think it's wonderful how your town treats the cruise ship guests. The roses, pins and flags for everyone. We have never been treated so well in any port before. :)

The greeters are all volunteers who have been meeting the ships for years. It's always nice to hear that people enjoy our city. On foggy, misty cruise ship days I always used to feel so sorry for all the visitors but then I was told by one of the uptown merchants that so many of the passengers are seeing our fog for the first time and they really enjoy it. Go figure:eek:

The greeters are all volunteers who have been meeting the ships for years. It's always nice to hear that people enjoy our city. On foggy, misty cruise ship days I always used to feel so sorry for all the visitors but then I was told by one of the uptown merchants that so many of the passengers are seeing our fog for the first time and they really enjoy it. Go figure:eek:

Oh I LOVED the fog! We didn't have it on our Port Day, we had it on our Sea days. But it was so neat to be in fog, seriously. It's something that we don't see everyday, so it was interesting to us. :D

When we arrived in Saint John, our guides kept saying over and over "Look there's Newfoundland" and after like the 10th time I said "You don't usually see it over there? lol And they responded "Noooo, we don't, that's 40 miles away, the fog usually covers it" ;)

Great! ...I hope they improve this ship before it heads to New Orleans. We will be sailing in January with family. My neice will be getting married on the ship....and there will be lots of us....some with little kids. Those cabin pics were scary......the Fantasy is nicer from what I see here!

And, please people .....don't remove tips.....if you want to keep your money that bad.....stay home and clean up after yourselves.

Archived