Cruise lingo

natvtxn

I'm having difficulty understanding all the cruise lingo. Not the dh, dw stuff, but D1. Cabin categories. I've searched, but am unable to find what I'm looking for. Before I book I would like to know what type room is what. I've always stayed in inside cabins, and am wanting a balcony going to Alaska, so I need to know what I'm talking about before dialing the phone! Thanks!!

If you check the cruiseline's own website, you will be able to see where each cabin category is placed and how large the cabin and the balcony are. For example, a D1 is the same size as a D2, but a D1 is better placed, so is a little more expensive. Certain categories can be different sizes on different ships of the same cruiseline.

I'm having difficulty understanding all the cruise lingo. Not the dh, dw stuff, but D1. Cabin categories. I've searched, but am unable to find what I'm looking for. Before I book I would like to know what type room is what. I've always stayed in inside cabins, and am wanting a balcony going to Alaska, so I need to know what I'm talking about before dialing the phone! Thanks!!

Natvtxn,

You need to specify which ship you are refering to, there are many D1 categories. The best thing to do is to search the deck plans for the ship you are interested. Once you are familiar with the various cabin grades you will be ready to book your cruise.

Jonathan

Each cruise line and sometimes each ship has its own set of codes for cabin categories. Cabins are generally broken into Inside, Obstructed View, Outside, Balcony, Mini-suite and Full Suite. Within each of these types, the cruise line may set several different prices for groups of cabins. This is usually due to the location of the cabin. Within say inside cabins, people prefer higher decks and midships. So cabins there cost an extra $25 or $50 per category.

NAVTXN - Choose a reputable travel agent. He or she will ask questions about what ship, where, etc. Then they will be able to guide you as to what category you want. When you talk with them you can pull up the deck plan for that ship and it will be color coded so when you see where you want to be you will know if it's a D1 or D2 or JS, etc. For instance, I am on the Jewel in 2011, I wanted an aft balcony so I went to the website for that ship and on the deck plans I can see that those are D2's by the color. Ask questions here, then talk with your travel agent who is knowledgeable about it and will ultimately guide you through the booking process. They will point out excursions you might want to do. There are things in Alaska you don't want to miss. Then you just sit back and enjoy that beautiful scenery from your balcony.

Thanks for all of the answers. The ship we are looking at is Radiance from Vancouver to Seward. Of course we want to see the most beautiful sights without having obstructions. Does anyone know of cabins with balconies to avoid due to obstructed views? Thanks again.

Go to the roll call for the itenarary and the ship you want. Ask those on roll call for their advice. Some people do think ALOT about where they want to be on each ship and they are willing to share their knowledge. I think a good TA is also most helpful and you get to talk about your

trip:D Most good TA will allow a reasonable time for you to think about their advice and decide on the exact cabin you want.

If you check the cruiseline's own website, you will be able to see where each cabin category is placed and how large the cabin and the balcony are. For example, a D1 is the same size as a D2, but a D1 is better placed, so is a little more expensive. Certain categories can be different sizes on different ships of the same cruiseline.

You need to check each ship/line seperately. I never know which is which until I research it before I book. There is no rhyme or reason sometimes. As to the locations, some locations that are "better" or not necessarily better to me, or of course, just next door to a lower class.

Archived