Bernards Tours, or not?????

Bob NC

Marigot (French Capital)

8932_1151156231258_1598206996_388224_2410741_n.jpg

Orient Beach

8932_1151155471239_1598206996_388207_2140424_n.jpg

8932_1151155711245_1598206996_388212_4881812_n.jpg

Andy's & Cheryl's Bar & Grill – A great place to eat...they are originally from NYC

8932_1151155671244_1598206996_388211_6543509_n.jpg

Shopping area in Philipsburg

8932_1151155831248_1598206996_388215_1778192_n.jpg

We got back in plenty of time to even shop in Philipsburg!

We had a fantastic time with Bernard...he was excellent and we only had 8 in our van. We waited for a half hour for people who were even later than that...he had someone else wait for them as so it would not interfere with our tour. Here are some photos:

Philipsburg Harbor

8932_1151156111255_1598206996_388222_8082154_n.jpg

8932_1151156191257_1598206996_388223_4833557_n.jpg

Maho Beach with plane coming in for a landing

8932_1151155191232_1598206996_388200_2232238_n.jpg

Marigot (French Capital)

8932_1151155271234_1598206996_388202_2319435_n.jpg

Open Market in Marigot (French Capital)

8932_1151156271259_1598206996_388225_381108_n.jpg

8932_1151155391237_1598206996_388205_773188_n.jpg

What happened to the pictures? They aren't there. We are touring with Bernard in December and would really like to see some picturs. Thanks.

I spoke with Bernard last week and felt really bad. Of course due to weather some ships were cancelled but that's understandable......BUT CCL made it to port and Bernard had 19 people that did not show up!!

I know he goes through a lot of work to prepare for his tours. I just wish folks would realize this is his livelyhood. Or any of the other tour operators.

When you book through the cruise line itself you don't get a refund unless it's weather or medical. Very sad for the private tour operators:(

He is working very hard to get a secure credit card procedure in place.

It's so unfair when people do not show or even call or email him.

That is sad. And very thoughtless of people. Even if it were a big business (Bernard), doing the right thing is still the right thing. There could have been people wanting to book and turned away. Why hold a spot?

Will - I wanted to ask you something. YOu seem pretty familiar with St. Maarten (or St. Martin, St. Marteen - depending on what website you are on) - do you mind answer a question?

We are booked with Bernard for a private tour. I sent him an idea of what we wanted, and he said no problem. But I guess I'm unsure how much time we have and how far apart things are, etc.

Do you feel there is enough time to :

See the butterfly farm

do some sightseeing/shopping (I like the above pics of the open market - looks like something "different")

lunch some place local

beach time w/jet skis

I'm not sure how long the butterfly farm would actually take. And while we do have one here in Houston - I don't know that we would ever make it there. And my DDs seemed excited about the idea of seeing "live" butterflies. I guess they aren't as abundant here. And DH wants to do jet skiing. And I want everyone to have a great time.

If you don't know, I understand - you just seem to know a lot about Bernard/the tour, etc. So I was hoping to tap that knowledge.

HI.......

It's hard to please everyone!!

I do not really know anything at all about the butterfly farm. Is there another Island you can see them on??

Did you email Bernard and ask the same question?

The Island is just SO beautiful....both sides......and Bernard is wonderful...

I think you could do all but really skip the butterflies. Bernard stops along a spot and your daughter will be able to see a sea urchin and starfish......there's a little man that gets then out of the ocean for you to see and hold. It's a geat experience! Should be able to jet ski and shop. Rima's has the BEST prices of the Island though. Unless you looking for something particular?

Are you taking his "private" tour?? That's what we did and he took us and did just what we requested and then added his own special touches.

I suggest lunch at Maho and watch the planes take-off and land....all ages LOVE it and the food is good at Sunset!

Water Shoes.......I think it's personal choice. I always wear mine but my DD does not.

BTW: Spoke with Bernard this morning......airport is closed due to storm and ship CCL ship was cancelled......all is ok.......it will pass. He still had power this morning.

Any other questions....feel free:)

<snip>......airport is closed due to storm and ship CCL ship was cancelled......<snip>

The airport is open, (Air France landed at 1:48 local) Carnival Glory was cancelled yesterday, Wednesday. No ships scheduled for today, AOS scheduled for tomorrow.

Expecting lots of rain and street flooding. A small craft warning is in effect with 8' - 12' swells expected.

gary

HI.......

It's hard to please everyone!!

I do not really know anything at all about the butterfly farm. Is there another Island you can see them on??

Did you email Bernard and ask the same question?

The Island is just SO beautiful....both sides......and Bernard is wonderful...

I think you could do all but really skip the butterflies. Bernard stops along a spot and your daughter will be able to see a sea urchin and starfish......there's a little man that gets then out of the ocean for you to see and hold. It's a geat experience! Should be able to jet ski and shop. Rima's has the BEST prices of the Island though. Unless you looking for something particular?

Are you taking his "private" tour?? That's what we did and he took us and did just what we requested and then added his own special touches.

I suggest lunch at Maho and watch the planes take-off and land....all ages LOVE it and the food is good at Sunset!

Water Shoes.......I think it's personal choice. I always wear mine but my DD does not.

BTW: Spoke with Bernard this morning......airport is closed due to storm and ship CCL ship was cancelled......all is ok.......it will pass. He still had power this morning.

Any other questions....feel free:)

Hmmm, I didn't know about the stops to see starfish. I think starfish would trump butterflies. :) Thank you. Yes, we are taking the private tour. I had asked him about the butterfly farm - and he said we could work in whatever we wanted. But having not been there - I don't want to work in something, and miss something more special. Granted, we can't/won't see it all - but some things will be more unique and special.

As far as shopping, just looking for momentos of our trip. Nothing in particular.

Thanks for the information. I will make notes on my spreadsheet.

Glad to hear he is doing well with the storm.

Hmmm, I didn't know about the stops to see starfish. I think starfish would trump butterflies. :) Thank you. Yes, we are taking the private tour. I had asked him about the butterfly farm - and he said we could work in whatever we wanted. But having not been there - I don't want to work in something, and miss something more special. Granted, we can't/won't see it all - but some things will be more unique and special.

As far as shopping, just looking for momentos of our trip. Nothing in particular.

Thanks for the information. I will make notes on my spreadsheet.

Glad to hear he is doing well with the storm.

Your very welcome:)

I don't know where you are from but the starfish there are very different then what we have here on the East Coast of New England.

You will really enjoy the private tour. We all did and I mean every single one of us! Bernard will do everything he can to show you a wonderful time!

Rima's should suit your shopping needs just fine! I bought a very nice cover up there cheap cheap;)

When will you be sailing to the Island and what line??

We are going Western over the Holidays but just can't wait for April vaca to go back to the Eastern and Bernard!

Where is Andy & Cheryl's bar in relation to where Bernard drops you off at the beach? It looks like a great place.

Stacey...great name, my younger daughter has the same name, same exact spelling too. Andy & Cheryl's bar & grill is 2 to 3 shacks from the parking lot where he will let you off. Andy is a bit of a character, I mean this in a good way...he plays this oldie station that plays rock & roll from the 60's & 70's. It was a great atmosphere with good food, the onion rings were great!

Your very welcome:)

I don't know where you are from but the starfish there are very different then what we have here on the East Coast of New England.

You will really enjoy the private tour. We all did and I mean every single one of us! Bernard will do everything he can to show you a wonderful time!

Rima's should suit your shopping needs just fine! I bought a very nice cover up there cheap cheap;)

When will you be sailing to the Island and what line??

We are going Western over the Holidays but just can't wait for April vaca to go back to the Eastern and Bernard!

I'm in Texas. I don't believe my DDs have ever seen a starfish - except on Spongebob Squarepants. . .so they'll enjoy it.

We are not sailing until December 2010, with Disney. It's a very long wait. But I have our excursions set up. LOL. I wasn't planning to book them this far ahead - but wanted to get an idea of costs, etc. so I could plan accordingly - and both tour guides were okay with booking ahead. . .so it worked well for us.

If you're touring with Bernard soon, you'll meet at the entrance to the big yellow building at the foot of the pier. There's a photo of him in front of it on his website.

This was the view from our balcony:

th_DSCN3834.jpg

(click)

He has mentioned that authorities at the Cruise Facility may be moving the meeting point to new location.

gary

• 3 weeks later...
If you're touring with Bernard soon, you'll meet at the entrance to the big yellow building at the foot of the pier. There's a photo of him in front of it on his website.

This was the view from our balcony:

th_DSCN3834.jpg

(click)

He has mentioned that authorities at the Cruise Facility may be moving the meeting point to new location.

gary

The change mentioned above has happened.

If you tour with Bernard you meet him at the information desk inside that same building.

gary

I don't think you can go wrong with Bernard's Tours! He will modify your tour to suit your desires. We were just there on 09/30/09. Below is an excerpt from a posting I made on the Carnival board.

St. Martin/St. Maarten: !!!WOW!!! An absoultely incredible and beautiful island! We booked an independant tour with Bernard's Tours. !!!WOW!!! Joe was our driver and did an outstanding job! Our group first did some shopping, then to Maho Beach. Unfortunately, no air traffic whilst we were there. Then is was off to Orient Beach. Absolutely mind-blowingly beautiful! Pure white sands with crystal clear water. We had previously arranged to stay at the beach while the rest of the group continued the tour. As promised, Joe was back at Orient Beach just before our requested pick up time of 3:00 pm. As far as Orient Beach, what happens in St. Martin stays in St. Martin!:D :D :D

The following information was not in the post, but an e-mail I sent to Bernard:

Good afternoon. We just returned yesterday from our cruise on the Carnival Glory, where we visited your island and took your tour this past Wednesday (September 30). I must say that the tour was absolutely fabulous, even better than we ever could have imagined! Our driver was Joe, and he did an outstanding job!!! He was very friendly and informative, and I appreciated the microphone that he used so that we all could hear what he was saying. He was also a very safe driver. We also appreciated the umlimited beverages. Lastly, we truly appreciated your adjusting the tour so that we could stay at Orient Beach longer. Just as promised, Joe was back to pick us up at precisely the time we requested.

Believe me, how ever I can pass the word about how great Bernard's Tours is, I will! Thank you for helping to make this our best port stop ever!

Stacey...great name, my younger daughter has the same name, same exact spelling too. Andy & Cheryl's bar & grill is 2 to 3 shacks from the parking lot where he will let you off. Andy is a bit of a character, I mean this in a good way...he plays this oldie station that plays rock & roll from the 60's & 70's. It was a great atmosphere with good food, the onion rings were great!

That's interesting - I don't find many people with the same spelling. I usually see it without the "e." :)

Thanks for the info about Andy & Cheryl!

I'm interested in Bernard's tour for our January trip, but have a question.

Would we have enough time to parasail at Orient Beach? If so, do we go through him, or find someone on the beach to do it through?

I'm e-mailing Bernard, but thought I'd ask y'all too!

I'm interested in Bernard's tour for our January trip, but have a question.

Would we have enough time to parasail at Orient Beach? If so, do we go through him, or find someone on the beach to do it through?

I'm e-mailing Bernard, but thought I'd ask y'all too!

Another option is to stay at Orient Beach longer, that is what we did. We arranged for our driver (Joe, who was FANTASTIC!!!) to come back for us at a prearranged time. He was there, exactly as promised. Bernard didn;t charge any extra for this, but we did make it worth Joe's time.

Do you have to make reservations or could you just look for him when you get off the ship?

Yes it is best to make reservations, as most of them tour companies do not accept walk up customers.

Archived