Bernards Tours, or not?????

Bob NC

Tom - Thanks for the review. We'll be with Bernards in November. Some of our group are concerned about Orient beach and the topless factor. Can you tell me what your experience was?

Maho - I've read that the planes kick up a lot of sand. Is that correct?

Also, if you were able to customize your tour, can you tell me what, if anything, you'd do different.

Thanks a lot.

Annette

Been to Maho twice and yes, outgoing jets kick up a lot of sand and fling objects and people into the ocean. People said the sand flung into their skin really hurt, worse than dermabrasion.

Tom - Thanks for the review. We'll be with Bernards in November. Some of our group are concerned about Orient beach and the topless factor. Can you tell me what your experience was?

Maho - I've read that the planes kick up a lot of sand. Is that correct?

Also, if you were able to customize your tour, can you tell me what, if anything, you'd do different.

Thanks a lot.

Annette

The planes do kick up the sand and people but they choose to stand where this will happen. Why... I don't get but fun for us to watch.:p We stay on the beach away from the jet blast or hang out at the Sunset Beach Bar.

You can customize a tour with Bernard if you book a private tour with him.

The public tour is a set schedule but Bernard and his drivers do their best to show everyone their beautiful Island and a wonderful time!

Been to Maho twice and yes, outgoing jets kick up a lot of sand and fling objects and people into the ocean. People said the sand flung into their skin really hurt, worse than dermabrasion.

The planes do kick up the sand and people but they choose to stand where this will happen. Why... I don't get but fun for us to watch.:p We stay on the beach away from the jet blast or hang out at the Sunset Beach Bar.

You can customize a tour with Bernard if you book a private tour with him.

The public tour is a set schedule but Bernard and his drivers do their best to show everyone their beautiful Island and a wonderful time!

Thanks for your replys. I bet most of my group will be interested in hanging out at the beach bar:) I'm really looking forward to this tour since it's gotten so many great reviews.

Thanks again,

Annette

Thanks for your replys. I bet most of my group will be interested in hanging out at the beach bar:) I'm really looking forward to this tour since it's gotten so many great reviews.

Thanks again,

Annette

Your Welcome and I'm sure you will love it.

Sunset has a new site with some video: http://www.sunsetsxm.com

The food is very good there and the beverages cold! The beach is small but it is an experience for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked on a private tour but as we didn't have any particular requests, the sights George, our driver, took was followed the itinerary laid out on Bernard's website.

It was $40 a person for the private tour. Orient Beach was ok I would've preferred to stay longer at Maho Beach. You get the sand, surf and the planes landing behind you. We were at Maho Beach for 45 minutes and saw a couple of small planes land and only one 747. I thought there would've been more large plane landings.

Had I known, I would've chosen Maho Beach as the beach break and Orient Beach a photo op stop.

at Orient Beach Bernards lets you off at Pedros.

I really didn't see much nudity on the optional side there was many people about getting off the tour taxies/buses.

we did take a walk down the beach on the Beach Orient side to see what the big spenders were paying for and mostly older nudest but not all are nude.

Im 46 and nudity really don't effect me I really didn't see any "hot bodies" mostly older heavy people. My Wife may have been the hottest there.:)

But if I go to St. Martin again I would spend maybe 3-4 hours at Maho beach or more maybe at the boat bar or would like to spend a week or 5 days in St Martin to not rush everything.

But I still have may SOUTH Jersey beaches a hour drive Wildwood is our favorite 5 miles north of Cape May and 25 miles south of Atlantic City;) if only the water here was as clear blue as the Caribbean :p

We were booked on a private tour but as we didn't have any particular requests, the sights George, our driver, took was followed the itinerary laid out on Bernard's website.

It was $40 a person for the private tour. Orient Beach was ok I would've preferred to stay longer at Maho Beach. You get the sand, surf and the planes landing behind you. We were at Maho Beach for 45 minutes and saw a couple of small planes land and only one 747. I thought there would've been more large plane landings.

Had I known, I would've chosen Maho Beach as the beach break and Orient Beach a photo op stop.

I agree with more time being needed at Maho Beach and the 30m in Margiot hardly left time for any lunch or shopping. We barely had time to use the facilities and grab a snack. And once at Maho, we were starved and had only 45m to grab a bite to eat and plane watch. Lots of drive time. While it was nice I'd not do it again.

Wow sorry to hear your were not 100% happy. Are you sure you took a private tour? I know George does the public tours?

We are booked for our 3rd and 4th private tour as we love it so much. We have come to love Bernard and his wonderful staff. Always a favorite port of call for us!

There is driving involved in order to see both sides of the beautiful Island. The unfortunate thing about touring while arriving by cruise ship (like any port) is the limited amount of time to enjoy the Island. I believe the times are listed on Brenard's website.

Also for the 35 or 40 dollars you do get unlimited beverages which I have never experienced for that low price on any other Island tours we have taken.

In regards to Maho and only seeing one 747, the airlines have different schedules on different days. On our first visit we were able to see 2 large aircraft. My daughter actually jumped from the van thinking it was going to hit us! :o

On our 2nd visit we didn't see any large aircraft at all but still had a wonderful time watching the smaller aircraft.

We also skipped Orient on our 2nd visit and went to the Isle of Pinel in the morning the Maho in the afternoon. That was also wonderful.

Hopefully next time you can try again and have a plan of time and places.

St Maarten to us is a place we would love to spend at least a week. We have learned so much about the Island though from Bernard and his staff. That's what keeps us going back!! It just always goes by to fast, like the cruise!

Happy Cruising to you!:)

Just got back from our cruise

did Bernards on WED. we had the "Mailman"and he delivered

The Rum Punch is good but be warned strong I was toasty by the time I got back. :p

For Orient Beach I just took a sheet from my room and 2 towels to lay on since we only had about 2 hours to spend there.

Maho was a little short only about 1/2 hour but got about 4 planes and 2 bigger jets but no 747 got a few good Pics and videos will post later.

but I know I drank more then $35 worth of drinks myself.

FYI cigarettes can be had on St Martin for around $10-$17 per cartoon if you buy them on the ship take a pic of the price on-land and the ship will credit you the difference.

Next Time I may just go to Maho for 4-5 hours

But THE TOUR IS A MUST IF YOU NEVER BEEN TO ST. MARTIN

Tom

Tom:

We know you drank your $35 worth, and you were TOASTED or as we say in the rural parts of Europe..............PISSED!!:D

Best wishes (and enjoyed your company on the bus)

The Brits at the back of the bus

PS......Mailman was GREAT!!:)

Wow sorry to hear your were not 100% happy. Are you sure you took a private tour? I know George does the public tours?

We are booked for our 3rd and 4th private tour as we love it so much. We have come to love Bernard and his wonderful staff. Always a favorite port of call for us!

There is driving involved in order to see both sides of the beautiful Island. The unfortunate thing about touring while arriving by cruise ship (like any port) is the limited amount of time to enjoy the Island. I believe the times are listed on Brenard's website.

Also for the 35 or 40 dollars you do get unlimited beverages which I have never experienced for that low price on any other Island tours we have taken.

In regards to Maho and only seeing one 747, the airlines have different schedules on different days. On our first visit we were able to see 2 large aircraft. My daughter actually jumped from the van thinking it was going to hit us! :o

On our 2nd visit we didn't see any large aircraft at all but still had a wonderful time watching the smaller aircraft.

We also skipped Orient on our 2nd visit and went to the Isle of Pinel in the morning the Maho in the afternoon. That was also wonderful.

Hopefully next time you can try again and have a plan of time and places.

St Maarten to us is a place we would love to spend at least a week. We have learned so much about the Island though from Bernard and his staff. That's what keeps us going back!! It just always goes by to fast, like the cruise!

Happy Cruising to you!:)

It was a private tour because that was what was arranged by our co-ordinator of the group. Tt was 2 vehicles just of cruise critic members. But since we didn't have any specific requests (not knowing any better), the itinerary followed the normal "public" tour.

I wasn't unhappy with the tour, just that it could've been planned better. For example, I would've requested to stay at Maho Beach longer and just have Orient Beach as a photo op stop only. That of course, would require everyone in the vehicle to agree.

As fsuhockette mentioned, we also got 30 minutes at Marigot. Not that much time to do anything once you unfurl yourself from the van.

We weren't aware the drinks were unlimited throughout the day!? We got it once.

There was also some confusion as the two vehicles didn't need to stay together. We could've done our own thing but George didn't see it that way and stuck with the other vehicle.

Before we went on our private tour with Bernard we looked at the itinerary and made a few changes way before our cruise. Among the changes we made we chose to stay longer at Maho Beach-Sunset Bar, wanted more shopping time, and we stayed a short time only at Orient Beach.

I really do feel that the biggest advantage of going on a private tour is you do have more control of the itinerary. We looked up all the tourist attractions and beaches ourselves on the internet and read reviews of previous tourists and determined among the group what we wanted to do and made sure it would work out time wise with Bernard. We e-mailed back and forth. When we all met before getting in the van once on the island I had the itinerary with me and we reviewed it.

It was a great tour and one the 14 of us still talk about often. I think planning ahead and good communication was the key for us.

Glad you got to see St Martin. I wish we could get back there soon.

Now we did not do the same for several Mexican Riveria private tours we did for we were with a different group. We definitely would have changed the itinerary if we had reviewed it well and taken the time to prepare like we did for St Martin.

Laura

Before we went on our private tour with Bernard we looked at the itinerary and made a few changes way before our cruise. Among the changes we made we chose to stay longer at Maho Beach-Sunset Bar, wanted more shopping time, and we stayed a short time only at Orient Beach.

I really do feel that the biggest advantage of going on a private tour is you do have more control of the itinerary. We looked up all the tourist attractions and beaches ourselves on the internet and read reviews of previous tourists and determined among the group what we wanted to do and made sure it would work out time wise with Bernard. We e-mailed back and forth. When we all met before getting in the van once on the island I had the itinerary with me and we reviewed it.

It was a great tour and one the 14 of us still talk about often. I think planning ahead and good communication was the key for us.

Now we did not do the same for several Mexican Riveria private tours we did for we were with a different group. We definitely would have changed the itinerary if we had reviewed it well and taken the time to prepare like we did for St Martin.

Laura

That would've been something I would do. But it was arranged by one person for all cruise critic members interested in the tour and I didn't know who would be in which van in advance. So was unable to reach out to those people in the same van with me to see what they wanted to do or change.

Live and learn.

Tom:

We know you drank your $35 worth, and you were TOASTED or as we say in the rural parts of Europe..............PISSED!!:D

Best wishes (and enjoyed your company on the bus)

The Brits at the back of the bus

PS......Mailman was GREAT!!:)

Yes all the drinks and Carib beers made me have to go more then once on the tour.My wife has video proof :p. When you got to go you got to go and yes look out for the RUM PUNCH it packs a punch:rolleyes:

After the Tour I went over to Phillipsburgh beach and got a swim in before walking back to the ship one of the last to get on.

Yes the Mailman was great will post photos later

Any NEW VISITOR TO ST. MARTIN SHOULD TAKE THIS TOUR :cool:

• 3 months later...

Laura

Hi,

So how many people did you need to have for a private tour?

thanks

Bill

Bernard provides the rum punch on the non-private tours also. It's REALLY strong. :eek:

Yes all the drinks and Carib beers made me have to go more then once on the tour.My wife has video proof :p. When you got to go you got to go and yes look out for the RUM PUNCH it packs a punch

We had beer and water on our tour. Our guide said he was called at the last minute so he didn't have time to get the other things. When I posted this online, someone told me that Bernard doesn't guarantee any drinks at all, so I find it funny that now everyone seems to be saying it is guaranteed.

We had beer and water on our tour. Our guide said he was called at the last minute so he didn't have time to get the other things. When I posted this online, someone told me that Bernard doesn't guarantee any drinks at all, so I find it funny that now everyone seems to be saying it is guaranteed.

Don't hesitate to e-mail Bernard if you have any concerns or questions.

bernard1332002atyahoodotcom

Laura

My DD and her new husband went on a tour with Bernard this past fall.

They have no children.

There were kids with them on the tour and they all had a great time.

Does not matter how few you have on your private tour but of course would be more expensive.

Of all the tours we have been on with our cruises..Caribbean and Mexico and other land tours I can say only once did we have others on any tours we had issues with(constant complainers)....usually the more the merrier with us.

Laura

We're booked for March... can't wait!

I'd like to hear more about this rum punch... what does it taste like? Is there a big jug of it with paper cups? If you had to guess what was in it (besides rum)?

Ahhhh the rum punch..............It's bottled and Bernard has little paper cups. It tastes like, ummmm STRONG! I personally can't drink it or would never make the whole tour. It is potent for sure! Others that have toured with me have had a cup or two or three:p and WOW, it packs a punch! No pun intended!

Enjoy your tour with Bernard! We will be with him 4/7 for the 4th time touring with him and OMG I can't wait!

Archived