Bernards Tours, or not?????

Bob NC

Willbcruisin & Laura - Thank you both. I did find out that he was using the shoreadventures also, which is what gave the different emails. I spoke with him last night and set up a private tour in 3 weeks. Looking forward the the sun and warm temps. Not to mention the island drinks.

Willbcruisin & Laura - Thank you both. I did find out that he was using the shoreadventures also, which is what gave the different emails. I spoke with him last night and set up a private tour in 3 weeks. Looking forward the the sun and warm temps. Not to mention the island drinks.

Enjoy your cruise and your tour!! Post back and let us know how you liked it! Watch out for the rum punch:eek:

Is there a time zone difference from Florida time vs St Martin? I have a tour with Bernard on Oasis in March and we are to meet him at 9am. I have read the recent Compasses and it mentions keeping on "ship time" while in all ports. So is Bernards tour time based on ships time or island time (if there is a difference?) Thanks

Is there a time zone difference from Florida time vs St Martin? I have a tour with Bernard on Oasis in March and we are to meet him at 9am. I have read the recent Compasses and it mentions keeping on "ship time" while in all ports. So is Bernards tour time based on ships time or island time (if there is a difference?) Thanks

Great question!

I emailed Bernard and he said ..."We are one hrs ahead of ship time, so when its 7 am its 8 am island time.." So I guess I need to ensure I am off the ship at the meeting point at 8am ship time for our 9am (island time) Bernard Tour on March 10!

On feb.11th. 2010 / 8:am

my wife and i booked a tour with bernard 2 weeks early of our cruise with carnival miracle. We got a reply that bernards people would be waiting for us,and where to meet them.

Welllll, we were early getting to our meeting place,but bernard had already left . What a blow to us and two other couples as this was our first trip to the island,and had no way of knowing what to do or where to go for a tour . We ended up going to sunset beach to watch the planes fly in and that`s all we got to see. What a bummer .

I guess it`s better to book through the cruise ship so you know your going to get treated right. Larry

Yes, St. Martin is on Atlantic time. It's one hour ahead of the US East Coast. In other words, when it's 8am in New York or Washington, it's 9am in St. Martin. On every cruise I've been on to this region, the ship changes "ship's time" to the Atlantic time zone, once they've crossed into this region. So, you'll likely be asked to set your clocks & watches ahead 1 hour on the 1st or 2nd day of your cruise, and you'll set the clocks back again near the end of your cruise.

That sounds contrary to what Bernard said in his email, though. Just keep in mind that if the ship changes the clocks before you get to St. Martin, you'll already be on St. Martin time when you get there.

Have fun!

Mary Ellen

my wife and i booked a tour with bernard 2 weeks early of our cruise with carnival miracle. We got a reply that bernards people would be waiting for us,and where to meet them.

Welllll, we were early getting to our meeting place,but bernard had already left . What a blow to us and two other couples as this was our first trip to the island,and had no way of knowing what to do or where to go for a tour . We ended up going to sunset beach to watch the planes fly in and that`s all we got to see. What a bummer .

I guess it`s better to book through the cruise ship so you know your going to get treated right. Larry

I was very concerned when I read this post as it is not at all the Bernard many of us know and love.

I contacted him and he himself was at the yellow building waiting for you. He was with the 7 other cruisers from Carnival Miracle who booked his tour as well. They were all on time and waited for you all. The 7 others got tired of waiting and Bernard had no choice but to begin the tour without you, which was already running late due to waiting for you.

The time change on this and many other Islands can cause confusion and unfortunatley things like this happen. Not only did this result in you missing your tour.......it affects the tour operators as well. This is their living and in no way would they walk away from customers. That takes food away from their families. Always check the time vs Island time. Then double check it.

Thank goodness most folks on CC take posts like this with a grain of salt.

May you have better luck in the future as well as your planing and happy cruising to you!

Larry

Did you e-mail Bernard and see why you did not connect with him for the tour before you posted this?

I feel it is so unfair to post such negative statements before communicating with him or any tour guide for that matter first to see what happened.

It is their livelihood and they depend on good reviews for business.

I am glad Willbcruisin took the initiative to correspond with Bernard about this post.

He is a wonderful tour guide and one of the nicest people you would want to meet and there are years of great reviews on CC to substantiate it.

St Martin is a beautiful island and I am glad you got to see the planes at Maho beach.

Laura

We used Bernards Tours last March (2009). It was, hands down, the best tour we have ever taken in the Caribbean.:D

O.K. Now I'm confused (doesn't take much). We are booked with Bernards Tours for March 23, 2010. We are docked from 8am till 6pm. The e-mail confirmation I got says he will meet us at the information desk at 9am. Is that 9am ships time or island time or will the time be the same?

O.K. Now I'm confused (doesn't take much). We are booked with Bernards Tours for March 23, 2010. We are docked from 8am till 6pm. The e-mail confirmation I got says he will meet us at the information desk at 9am. Is that 9am ships time or island time or will the time be the same?

Bernard always uses Island time which on 3/23 should be the same time as the US East Coast. Just always pay attention to what the ship does with the time. Different Lines do different things.

Enjoy your cruise & your tour:D

• 7 months later...
Did you wear a swimsuit underneath or waited until you get to the beach to change?

Which beach did he take you to?

We went to Orient Beach and our last stop was Maho Beach. We only went on Orient Beach. We took lots of pictures and stood by the bar at Maho. I didn't wear my bathing suit, I changed at Orient Beach and then changed back into my shorts and top before we left there. There is a little bathroom which costs money to use (maybe .50) but they give you tickets to use.

I filled out a reservation request form on Bernards website and never got a confirmation email.

So today I filled out again and still nothing.

He did replay to a question by email I had a few days ago but did not respond to the confirmation ?

will just go this Wed. and see if we are on the list if not will just take a cab

I filled out a reservation request form on Bernards website and never got a confirmation email.

So today I filled out again and still nothing.

He did replay to a question by email I had a few days ago but did not respond to the confirmation ?

will just go this Wed. and see if we are on the list if not will just take a cab

I know that Bernard is away but checking his email and still running his tours and business....please give him a bit more time to respond and/or email again. I have copied this and forwarded it to him. I know he will be back on the Island on Sunday.

From our experience I would for sure wait for him as his tour is the best we have found on any Island. We are booked with him for a 3rd and 4th time in December and April! Bernard and his company/guides have provided us as well as many fellow cruising friends the best experience!

thanks for the info.

yes I have till WED.

will be on the ship in less then 12 hours (got to get some sleep):p

I know he may be busy so will check email from the airport and again while in port in Ft Lauderdale before we leave and again in St Thomas

thanks this Message board has been a big help in planning my trip

Tom

Just got back from our cruise

did Bernards on WED. we had the "Mailman"and he delivered

The Rum Punch is good but be warned strong I was toasty by the time I got back. :p

For Orient Beach I just took a sheet from my room and 2 towels to lay on since we only had about 2 hours to spend there.

Maho was a little short only about 1/2 hour but got about 4 planes and 2 bigger jets but no 747 got a few good Pics and videos will post later.

but I know I drank more then $35 worth of drinks myself.

FYI cigarettes can be had on St Martin for around $10-$17 per cartoon if you buy them on the ship take a pic of the price on-land and the ship will credit you the difference.

Next Time I may just go to Maho for 4-5 hours

But THE TOUR IS A MUST IF YOU NEVER BEEN TO ST. MARTIN

Tom

The Rum Punch is good but be warned strong I was toasty by the time I got back. :p

For Orient Beach I just took a sheet from my room and 2 towels to lay on since we only had about 2 hours to spend there.

Maho was a little short only about 1/2 hour but got about 4 planes and 2 bigger jets but no 747 got a few good Pics and videos will post later.

FYI cigarettes can be had on St Martin for around $10-$17 per cartoon if you buy them on the ship take a pic of the price on-land and the ship will credit you the difference.

Tom

Tom - Thanks for the review. We'll be with Bernards in November. Some of our group are concerned about Orient beach and the topless factor. Can you tell me what your experience was?

Maho - I've read that the planes kick up a lot of sand. Is that correct?

Also, if you were able to customize your tour, can you tell me what, if anything, you'd do different.

Thanks a lot.

Annette

Tom

Glad you enjoyed!!! I'm counting the days until we get there in December.

Archived