Airlines have alliances, why not cruise lines?

JetJock_YHZ

Hi Fellow-Cruisers,

Carnival Corporation owns several distinct cruise lines (brands). The money ultimately goes into the same purse.

This is just my humble opinion, but I would like to see Carnival Corporation offer "frequent-cruiser" benefits accross their various companies.

The airlines have been doing this for years. For example, take Star Alliance... if I fly on a United Airlines flight, or USAir flight, etc., I still get my Air Canada Aeroplan points, and can take advantage of the perks that other Star Alliance members offer when I fly with them.

So, if I travel on a Carnival cruise, why is it not possible to include that cruise in my status on Princess, or vice versa, for advancement?

I would like to explore other Carnival Corporation brands, but I feel limited, as I am trying to gain higher status with Princess... for the perks.

This topic has been discussed before, but I think it has to be reopened every so-often. I am told that the cruise lines read this forum and take notes.

I would like to hear your thoughts and perhaps send a message!

Carl

All the airlines in an alliance have similar cost structures. However, there is a bigger difference between the cruise lines. A person could sail with the cheap lines than enjoy those benefits on the expensive ones.

The other difference is you don't have to requalify for cruise line status every year. Also, United buys those Aeroplan miles you get, and then Aeroplan buys your ticket or whatever other reward you choose. I'm not sure how it gets figured out how the revenue gets shuffled around for each perk you get on one cruise from cruises sailed on another line.

RCCL lines offer reciprocal benefits to their frequent cruisers - Platinum on RCI (5 cruise credits) gets Select status on Celebrity and Azamara, and Diamond gets Elite. And vice versa. The cruise totals aren't consolidated but the benefits are.

I believe that if you have cruised on any of the Carnival lines you are eligible for past passenger pricing on the other lines.

"I believe that if you have cruised on any of the Carnival lines you are eligible for past passenger pricing on the other lines.

"

Unfortunately this is not true. No benefits on Princess after many days on HAL.

The past guest pricing on the various Carnival brands has always been hit or miss. That was the only "perk" they shared though, none of the other stuff.

I've honestly never gotten a better price by being a past guest on Princess. I can check rates without my Captains circle number, and check with it and have never had a difference.

I can only imagine what the perks of past passengers status would shrink down to if cruises were counted with each CCL/HAL/PCL ship/line sailed.

Plus, I can hear it now, "I get complimentary internet minutes on Princess, why don't I get the same time on CCL"? And "where is my mini bar on HAL that I received on Princess"? I think it might be a CCL/PCL/HAL nitemare. :eek:

I would like to explore other Carnival Corporation brands, but I feel limited, as I am trying to gain higher status with Princess... for the perks.Carl

You answered your own question here, they want you to stay loyal to them.....:)

According to the " welcome to the captains circle" brochure you can get princess cruise credits for sailing aboard P&O (uk) and the soon to be killed off Ocean Village brands. Not many, but it's a start.

The Airlines introduced frequent flier programs and perks to encourage loyalty and increase business. It didn't work out very well. Look at where they are today. The global airline industry expects to lose over $9 BILLION this year. That money would buy 7 Oasis of the Seas ships.

Do you think that the Cruise Line CEOs want to follow that example?

Plus, the only cruise line customer loyalty we see these days is to the lowest price.

And since the ships are all sailing full, why would they want to offer you perks to convince you to sail on ships that are already fully booked?

All the airlines in an alliance have similar cost structures. However, there is a bigger difference between the cruise lines. A person could sail with the cheap lines than enjoy those benefits on the expensive ones.

The fly in that soup:

Princess fares are generally lower than HAL's, but Princess has far better repeat customer perks.

Archived