6 ships in port - will it be a zoo??

beynac

I just discovered that there will be 6 ships in port the day we will be arriving on Century. Is the island going to be a zoo? We aren't planning to do an organized tour. Our plans were to catch a cab to 7 mile beach to Royal Palms or similar and relax for the day.

Should we expect lots of crowds, no beach chairs available to rent, congestion at the tender docks, etc?

I'd love to hear any experiences from those out there who have been to Grand Cayman on a busy day....or perhaps 6 ships isn't *that* busy???

Thanks!

wow, that is a lot of ships. we had 4 when i visited last year, and tenders were a pain.

can't speak to what it'll be like with 6... but to put it into perspective, assuming somewhere around 3000 passengers / ship, x 6 ships = 18000... that's almost half the population of grand cayman! :eek:

depending upon your excursion, you'll likely notice it MOST at the port.

good luck! :D

wow, that is a lot of ships. we had 4 when i visited last year, and tenders were a pain.

can't speak to what it'll be like with 6... but to put it into perspective, assuming somewhere around 3000 passengers / ship, x 6 ships = 18000... that's almost half the population of grand cayman! :eek:

depending upon your excursion, you'll likely notice it MOST at the port.

good luck! :D

Hmmm, that doesn't sound good!!! :eek: I think the port website (wish I could remember what site it was...found it on CC somewhere) was estimating approx 16k passengers.

We will have fun either way .... just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

It will be busy but managable if you are patient.

The biggest snarl as greter number of ships come in is the traffic jam of passengers returning to the port at the last minute from the north (direction of Seven Mile Beach and the Turtle Farm).

Strategy is to hit the beach, Turtle Farm, dolphin swim, or anything else up that way early. Get back to town early and do shopping adn wandering around town at the end of the day. The only real exception is that you must buy any duty free alcohol purchases early so there is time for delivery to your ship.

I have been there 3X and each time there was at least 5 ships. It is not busier than any other port, but the tenders can make it challenging if you cut it too close.

Just make sure you are back to the tender area well in time to catch the last tender. If it is full, they will send another one.

7 mile beach is amazing.....enjoy..... We were at the beach somewhere in the middle and there was no problem in getting chairs.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to Royal Palms, just try to get there as early as you can. It is beautiful and they do have a lot of chairs, so you should be fine. If you don't find a chair there, walk up the beach to the Beach Club, as they have chairs too. The beach has many public access points, so make sure to bring your towels and you will be fine. As someone else said, the madness seems to be getting back to the port, so make sure you leave plenty of time.

Have a great time!

Archived