Parmigiano Reggiano

According to what I've read in the past, any hard, fully cured cheeses (such as Parmigiano Reggiano) can be brought back to the US from Europe.

However, I just tried to search the APHIS website for this information and can no longer locate it. I'm not sure if that means they are revising the list of "okay" items....

That is what I was thinking, I've seen references to 'vacuum-packed' Parmigiano Reggiano and thought that was to protect it for travel. Then I checked the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site and found:

We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.
Since cheese is defiantly made from animal materials, I thought I'd see if anyone here has had any experience with bringing some Parmigiano Reggiano back as a souvenir. I don't want to buy some of the good stuff only to have it confiscated and destroyed.

Here is the thing about buying that cheese. It is exactly the same cheese you can buy at home (we do import the stuff) except it often is more costly when bought in Italy due to their VAT tax.

Hank

That is what I was thinking, I've seen references to 'vacuum-packed' Parmigiano Reggiano and thought that was to protect it for travel. Then I checked the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site and found: Since cheese is defiantly made from animal materials, I thought I'd see if anyone here has had any experience with bringing some Parmigiano Reggiano back as a souvenir. I don't want to buy some of the good stuff only to have it confiscated and destroyed.

So that bottle of olive oil I brought back was a no-no? Jar of olives? Wine? All those items are made from a plant material.

I personally brought back a huge piece of parmigano regiano last year. The beagle patrol sniffed and walked on. He's the final decider to me.

and it was not vacuum packed.

Ask the store to vacuum pack it for you - they do it at not extra cost.

We just brought back a hunk of Peccorino. I told the clerk what size I wanted and cut it and he vacuum packed it. I declared it on my customs fomr and had no problems at all. Some people in our group brought back a whole wheel of cheese.

I also brought back olive oil. I packed it securely in my checked luggage.

You can't ship it :confused:
Now I'm confused. Why would I need to ship the cheese? It will be with us in our luggage. :confused: I haven't heard of any TSA/airline restrictions about flying with cheese. I'm sure the bag with the cheese in it will get the extra inspection by TSA, but that isn't a problem.

I'm planning on doing what H2Otstr did, declare the cheese on our customs form when we arrive back in the U.S. Salami I won't be bringing back. But if I decide to get some olive oil too, I'm going to get one of those leak-proof containers specially made for protecting wine in luggage. Olive oil isn't worth the risk otherwise. Hmmm, maybe I'll consider some balsamic vinegar too, as the container I'm thinking of holds two bottles.

sghetrick - If you "accidentally" bring back meats next time, I believe the minimum fine if caught is $800. I saw that happen for just a sandwich.

We just came back and declared all the stuff we bought and put in suitcase.

Candy - from various places. (Fruit ones from Turkey)

Wine - from Turkey

Lemoncello - Italy

They did make us go thru a special line where our bags were xrayd (again!) but they asked us if anything "fresh" and we replied everything was packaged...... no problems whatsoever.

We also brought stuff back from our previous trip. We also stated everything was "packaged" and we had no problems then either.

If you can get the cheese "packaged" or vacumn packed - I would do that to be sure.

I can purchase Italian parmigiano at the store at home, and I haven't found a better price in Italy then what I pay here. This hard cheese does not have to be declared.

It is fine to bring back olive oil.

I have found the parmesean at Costco to be equal to what I've found in Italy, and at a MUCH better price. I always have a wedge of it in my fridge.

As an aside, it's not the TSA nor the airlines which dictate what can and can't be brought back to the US as far as foodstuffs. That's the Department of Agriculture through the Customs and Border Patrol. I recommend reading this page: http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=TRAVEL_RECREATION&navtype=SU and click on Know Before You Go.

With food, I've found that over-declaring is never a bad thing. When they see you list everything, they tend to figure you really have, and do a more cursory Agricultural inspection if you're subject to that.

Thank you BurBunny. What I'm looking for isn't the Parmigiano-Reggiano that 6rugrats is buying in her local grocery store. I'm wanting is the longer aged cheeses (about 24-36 mo). Does Costco have the various ages of Parmigiano-Reggiano? We saw a comparison on Iron Chef once and want to try some of the different ages.

We're with you on the over-declaring is never a bad thing.

Thank you BurBunny. What I'm looking for isn't the Parmigiano-Reggiano that 6rugrats is buying in her local grocery store. I'm wanting is the longer aged cheeses (about 24-36 mo). Does Costco have the various ages of Parmigiano-Reggiano? We saw a comparison on Iron Chef once and want to try some of the different ages.

What's that about? How in the world would you know what kind of PR I am purchasing? Why would you assume it's at my "local grocery store"? ALL Parmigiano-Reggiano must be aged at least 24 months.

If you can't bring back all the cheese you crave, try Murray's Cheese Shop out of New York - they've probably got what you want.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/index.asp

Joe

Oh my! Thank you for posting this -- I thought I had a lot of selection at my local gourmet market, but this is fantastic! I will be placing an order very soon....:D

Parmigiano-reggiano by law must be aged for a minimum of 12 months (not 24 as someone reported). There are additional stamps/seals for those aged 18, 22 and 30 months. Anyone wanting more facts or descriptions of the differences in the various maturities can check out the Parmigiano-Reggiano Consortium website.

Last feb. The beagle patrol stopped me for bring in a turkey sandwich i took off our continental flight from rome. I honestly forgot i put in in my carryon. We had to go thru a special line and fill out papers and then they throw out the sandwich. Will never make that mistake again.

Well then everyone better finish their sandwiches that they buy in the airport to eat on the plane. :eek:

We're with you on the over-declaring is never a bad thing.

Mary Ellen, I don't believe Costco has a choice of curing times, but I just checked my wedge, and it's aged 24 months.

Costco has some nice high-quality items at a tremendous savings. Not everything is just bulk. For example, immediately after the olive oil pressings, their Kirkland Olive Oil is wonderful. Great artichoke flavor, beautiful color. I stock up then for the rest of the year.

We routinely buy Parmigiania-Regggiano locally at a farmers market cheese stand where they sell one that is aged 24 months and another aged 30 months. My DW usually buys a few pounds at a time and cuts it into several large chunks which she puts in the freezer (we always keep a piece out for use). The cheese freezes very well and does not change in flavor or texture (we learned about freezing the stuff while visiting Parma a few years ago). What many folks do not know is that there are hundreds of different manufacturers of that cheese in the region and a big majority of their production is exported all over the world.

Hank

Archived