Helicopter or float plane?

NANCYR2

If you could choose one excursion for a first time visitor to Alaska, would you chose a float plane in Kitchikan or a helicopter landing in Juneau(Icefield Excursion)? This going to be a surprise Father's Day gift.

By all means, it's the helicopter over the float plane. The problem with the float plane is that you sit by a small window with limited visibility. When the plane lands on one of the lakes, there isn't anywhere to get out and walk so you're restricted to your seat -- some brave ones get out and stand on the plane's pontoon but that's only for a minute or two. You have better visibility in the helicopter and upon landing, walking on the glacier is exciting -- choose a helicopter tour that gives you the most flight time and at least one landing on the glaciers. My husband and I are doing another Alaska cruise in July, this time taking family and my 13 year old granddaughter is counting the days until our helicopter tour!

The problem with the float plane is that you sit by a small window with limited visibility. When the plane lands on one of the lakes, there isn't anywhere to get out and walk so you're restricted to your seat -- some brave ones get out and stand on the plane's pontoon but that's only for a minute or two. QUOTE]

This is NOT true of independent float plane operators. They most certainly do land and let you out of the planes. I've done this many times, including repeating- both this and a helicopter landing two week ago.

If you could choose one excursion for a first time visitor to Alaska, would you chose a float plane in Kitchikan or a helicopter landing in Juneau(Icefield Excursion)? This going to be a surprise Father's Day gift.

What other touring is planned??? Both are excellent options. As only a suggestion- you may want to give your flightseeing "gift" and allow your dad to choose???

When the plane lands on one of the lakes, there isn't anywhere to get out and walk so you're restricted to your seat -- some brave ones get out and stand on the plane's pontoon but that's only for a minute or two.

Definitely not true on the float plane trip that I took in Ketchikan with Alaska Seaplane Tours. We got out and walked around. It was incredible!!!!

We just returned & I highly recommend the helicopter tour. We did the helicopter tour to Mendenhall Glacier with the dog sledding excursion & it was UNBELIEVABLE! The only problem with the helicopter tours is that the weather can cause the trip to cancel last minute.

Was in AK May 23rd through June 6th - 14 Day Princess Cruisetour.

We did Mt. McKinley Flightseeing with Denali Air out of Denali, Helicopter Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier with Temsco out of Juneau, and Misty Fjords Flightseeing out of Ketchican with Island Wings.

Best of the 3 was without a doubt the McKinley tour....sceneary you will not likely see anywhere else (caveat is if the weather is good) and 1+ hour of flying time. Second favorite was Misty Fjords, beautiful scenery as well but no where near as spectacular as the Alaska Range and Mt. Mckinley. Least favorite for me was the Helicopter Dog Sledding on Mendenhall but it was by far my wife's favorite as she was all about the sled dogs.

What is it you/dad want to see?

The dog sledding was a neat experience, we were at the top of the Galcier so it was all snow and none of the ice pack one thinks about with a glacier but it was amazing as well...except the flight time was only about 15 minutes so you really didn'y get to see much from the air. The pilot showed us where they land for the Mendenhall Glacier landing and walk and it was even closer to than the dog camp so I'd guess the flight time would be no more and maybe even less....so if time in the air is important, look for one that give the most flight time.

If your not going interior, I'd choose Misty Fjords over Juneau Glaciers (assuming weather is cooperative) unless walking on a glacier is omething he really wants to do.

You can do the equivalent of both - a small plane equipped with skis so you can land on a glacier!

But if you don't do that, then the Taku Lodge expedition (we've done it twice) is great - tell your dad to be quick to request the co-pilot's seat!

I did both of these excursions on my May 23 Alaska cruise. I booked the helicopter through HAL and the floatplane independently.

Walking around on Meade Glacier in Skagway was something that was unbelievable. I was awe-struck by the size and vastness of it. The helicopter ride there and back was just that...a ride in a helicopter. Island Wings was my floatplane operator in Ketchikan and the flight through Misty Fjords was indescribably beautiful. Michelle gives a wonderful tour and lands on a glassy lake where you get out of the plane and wander around on the shore.

If I had to choose one over the other, the floatplane would win hands down. Whichever one you give your father, I know he'll have a wonderful time.

Diane

Do both! Just back-we went to Misty Fjords on a floatplane and did land on the water. We went out on the pontoons for quite a while. We were rewarded with the sight of a young grizzly munching on grass at the water's edge. We all agreed that the views from the plane were breathtaking and nearly moved us to tears. 3 of us did Northstar level 3 trek on glacier with ice climbing. The helicopter ride was a thrill. Several of our group did a heli ride to Mendenhall with 20 mins or so on the glacier. We all loved the experience of landing on the glacier and the heli ride itself. One of our group did the photo safari in Juneau and although he had some good wildlife sightings i think he was sorry to have missed the helicopter.

I would choose the Helicopter in Juneau. I highly recommend booking with Discovery Excursions.

They are a booking agent and DO not operate any helicopter companies in Juneau. I never recommend anything- other than direct booking in Alaska.

There are only 4 helicopter companies operating out of Juneau. Simple to do your homework on the tour differences and make an informated selection.

Archived