Anyone walk from train station to Freeport Cruise Terminal- COPENHAGEN

My family will be in Copenhagen the beginning of July. The Emerald Princess will be in Freeport Pier 254 and we were thinking of taking the train from the city center to the cruise ship, walking from the station.

I found what I believe are instructions from GoogleMaps :

from Nordhavn Station 1.Head north on Østbanegade toward Hjørringgade0.5 km

2.Turn right at Vordingborggade62 m

3.Continue on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

4.Turn right to stay on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

5.Turn left at Glückstadtsvej0.2 km

6.Turn right at Klubiensvej

It doesn't seem too far and may be a bit of an adventure. I just wanted to know if anyone else did this and how it went or any bits of advice...

Thanks in advance!

Last fall we had stayed at the airport Hilton the night before our cruise, took the train into town in the morning and did a bicycle tour of the city (leaving the bags at the hotel) took the train back after the bicycle tour (which was absolutely the best way to see the city in such a short time), and took a cab from the hotel. There was no cab line from the hotel as opposed to across the street at the airport.

Cab fare was actually not all that much from the hotel, and we didnt have to worry about lugging our bags from the train station to the Freeport Dock, which is slightly convoluted to get to. It is a very industrial and shipping port area by that dock. There are two docks btw.:)

Plus lugging bags almost 2/3 mile might be a bit much depending on how you pack.

My family will be in Copenhagen the beginning of July. The Emerald Princess will be in Freeport Pier 254 and we were thinking of taking the train from the city center to the cruise ship, walking from the station.

I found what I believe are instructions from GoogleMaps :

from Nordhavn Station 1.Head north on Østbanegade toward Hjørringgade0.5 km

2.Turn right at Vordingborggade62 m

3.Continue on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

4.Turn right to stay on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

5.Turn left at Glückstadtsvej0.2 km

6.Turn right at Klubiensvej

It doesn't seem too far and may be a bit of an adventure. I just wanted to know if anyone else did this and how it went or any bits of advice...

Thanks in advance!

I can do this walk without any problems but i am "just" 24 years old.

You can see your ship all the way but the reason for walking a little bit further is because you need to pass the main gate to enter the freeport terminal.

Thanks for the replies!

Danish Viking: I am a bit older than you :rolleyes: but still have teenagers who will be with us. I guess I am trying to be a bit frugle...there are 5 of us and I'm not sure if 1 cab will fit us. I sure hate paying double for everything...

If you are still there Danish Viking:

I had inquired about reserving a cab on our return from the Freeport Terminal to the airport. I was quoted $300Dkk for a vehicle that would accomodate my family of 5.

?'s: Would I expect about the same cab fare from the Avenue Hotel (near the Forum Station) to the Freeport Terminal?

And should I reserve a cab for disembarkation or do you think there will be cabs to accomodate my family already there? If a normal fare is near the 300Dkk, I would then reserve the cab.

Thanks so much for your input! Only 24!:eek:

The last time we were in Copenhagen we stayed at The Square which is only one block from the train station. We walked without any problem from our hotel to board our ship. At that time the ship was located at the smaller dock closer in. We each had one rolling bag and one carryon. However, we are planning for another cruise next July and expect that we will again walk to the larger dock which is slightly farther out. I believe it is very doable in nice weather.

Just got back from this cruise. We took the train from the airport to the Oesterport station. Then took a cab to the ship. Cost about 11 euros and its not far.

When we returned we walked to the Nordhavn train station. Just a few blocks but kinda hard with luggage. Then we took the train to the city center.

The Nordhavn train station is closer to the Freeport but there is not a direct train from the airport to Nordhavn. You could change if you can ask someone how to make the change. There is an info booth right inside the airport by the baggage claim and they are helpful.

Train tickets from airport to Oesterport were 31,50 kroner.

@ MTJtraveller

If you ask for a big van with up to 7 persons i think that you will make it without any problems

Forum is only 1/3 of the distance so a good guess will be 130-150 dkk, you have to take the 45 dkk start fee into your calculation so that is the reason that the price is not 1/3 of the 300 dkk.

A big van is a little bit more expensive but not much.

A reservation is not a bad thing to have and i do think that you need one for a big van.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back.....the ultimate "cheap" way.....to/from Freeport to airport......train to/from central station to airport....then bus #26 to/from stop adjacent to cruise terminal entry gate.....within 150 yds of ship. My wife and I(60's) did this....three roller bags, large duffel, 2 shoulder bags......left ship at 6:30, at airport by 7:30. Bus about 40 DKK, train about 40 DKK per person.....about $12 pp.

However, If you can get a 5-passenger taxi for 300 DKK.....take it!

Just got back.....the ultimate "cheap" way.....to/from Freeport to airport......train to/from central station to airport....then bus #26 to/from stop adjacent to cruise terminal entry gate.....within 150 yds of ship. My wife and I(60's) did this....three roller bags, large duffel, 2 shoulder bags......left ship at 6:30, at airport by 7:30. Bus about 40 DKK, train about 40 DKK per person.....about $12 pp.

However, If you can get a 5-passenger taxi for 300 DKK.....take it!

Thanks for the information. Do you know if Bus #26 run on Sunday?

Just returned from 6/15 cruise and we took the train from the Hilton airport hotel to Osterport station then transferred to track 5 and took a train to Nordhaven station (1 stop i believe). After coming out of Nordaven train station we headed to the right. Made the first right at the next street, walking under the train tracks. Walked across the highway and then turned left. The entrance to the pier area is on the next right off the highway. Walk up about 3 minutes into the pier area and there is a gate to your right. Follow the blue lines on the pavement to the ship. From Nordhaven to ship about 12 minutes!

We purchased a 24 hour train ticket (diff. from CPH card that allows you into museums but is more costly) and the train ticket allowed us to venture around the day before and then use it again the next day. We did a dry-run to the pier the day before. Took about 30 min's from hilton airport.

I'm trying to make sense of my notes and the posts I have read. Please confirm whether my understanding is correct. Is there both a subway and train from the airport or are they the same thing? If I understood correctly, it sounds like the subway goes from the airport to Oesterport station and the train goes from the airport to Kobenhavn H, the main and central train station. Then a train or subway or both??? go from both Oesterport and Kobenhavn H to Noreport station? I would appreciate any clarification. Thanks!

The subway/train is the same thing. There is a Metro from the Airport but this is different from the Train. The Metro is a local type of train. The Train/Subway is the main train that you need. When you come out of the arrivals area in Terminal 3 you will walk past some ticket counters then you will see signs showing the Hilton/Metro straight. To the right you'll see a counter that sells train tickets. Purchase your ticket and then take take the entrance to the left of the ticket counter to take you to the proper track. Do not continue straight up to the Metro as this is the wrong way. Just take the Train/Subway and you'll be good!

Train/Subway to Osterport, then transfer at Osterport to Track 5 and take the train to Nordhaven.

Yes, bus #26 runs on Sunday.....a great line.....covers much of what you want to see in CPH......we used it exclusively the two days we toured the city....we had the CPH card... also highly recommended if you are going to do some museums, sites.....and use public transpo......

Last fall we had stayed at the airport Hilton the night before our cruise, took the train into town in the morning and did a bicycle tour of the city (leaving the bags at the hotel) took the train back after the bicycle tour (which was absolutely the best way to see the city in such a short time), and took a cab from the hotel. There was no cab line from the hotel as opposed to across the street at the airport.

Cab fare was actually not all that much from the hotel, and we didnt have to worry about lugging our bags from the train station to the Freeport Dock, which is slightly convoluted to get to. It is a very industrial and shipping port area by that dock. There are two docks btw.:)

Plus lugging bags almost 2/3 mile might be a bit much depending on how you pack.

hey there! what hotel did you do this tour from and how much was it? sounds very interesting.! thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread...wanted to report back after the trip.

We took the metro and train to the ship. It was very easy. Once out of the station, make a left, walk up the street to your first right. Go across the street and make a left to the pier entrance. Then just follow the familiar "blue line" painted on the ground.

One aside...my husband was pick-pocketed in the Copenhagen metro, carrying luggage up a broken escalator. Stupid on our part....but they only made out with $4. I know it can happen anywhere, just never thought it would happen to us...sigh!:(

Upon disembarkation we were going to take the same way back to the airport, but there was a taxi waiting large enough to carry my family of five, so we took it. Taxi cost us 385 DKK. The 10 clip metro was 170 DKK.

Many thanks, MTJtraveller for posting a follow up. What would you say is the distance from the metro in Nordhavn to the port where the Emerald is docked? Would you say about 1/2 mile? Sorry about the pickpocketing. You were lucky it was such a small amount. Somehow I can't equate Denmark with pickpockets! Just a lesson for all of us to be very aware of our surroundings.

If I may ask, what was the highlight of your trip?

It was a half mile at the most. VERY easy if you are a walker and luggage doesn't slow you down. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

There were many highlights of the trip. I would say that by the time we were finished with St. Petersburg we were pretty tired. Estonia was a great relief and an unexpected delight. We did the walking tour that someone posted here on CC and it brought us to all the main points and was delightful. The market was a joy and the people were so very friendly.

We also enjoyed Warnemunde for the experience of getting on a train ourselves and travelling to Schwerin. The castle was so different that all the palaces in St. Petersburg and travelling with kids it was just a delightful afternoon. We had some great Wienerschnitzel and had fun ordering off an entirely German menu. The port itself is full of shopping and lots of people watching. We had a great sendoff with ships blowing horns, people yelling Auf Wiedersein from the excursion boats and fireworks as we left port.

It is an action filled trip, grabbing some relaxing time is also a highlight!:rolleyes:

We also just did the walk to and from from Nordhavn and the Emerald Princess dock at Freeport. With wheeled luggage it took around 20 minutes and we're not exactly marathon runners. If you're coming from the ship, all of the trains that stop there take you to the Copenhagen central station, where you need to change trains to go to the airport (easy, there are escalators). There is a ticket machine on the Nordhavn train station platform that takes DKK and credit cards, but the language is Danish, and it's easier to use if you have some DKK in your pocket or have one of the passes already mentioned. On our trip, we first used the Copenhagen Card and then the 2-day Around the Sound card (good if you want to tour the adjacent Swedish coast and you have 2 days to spend in the area) for free local transport.

If you want to board the ship early in Copenhagen, and then disembark to spend the day in Copenhagen, the train is the way to go if you want to go to Tivoli, as the central train station is across the street.

Les

We are arriving in Copenhagen via the Jewel of the Seas on Sunday 8/23, from 8 am to 5 pm, and had planned to "Bike with Mike" on his 10 am departure. He wants us to be at his bike shop, which is by the Main Train Station at 11 Reventiowsgade, by 9:45 am. He suggested either the Yellow City Bus route #26, or a taxi, but from your postings it also sounds like it would not be too difficult to walk there. I had not planned to obtain any DKK currency. Do the busses and/or taxis take credit cards? Or would the walk be easier?

Thanks much, Nancy

Not sure where your ship comes to port as there are two...the Emerald Princess, which we were on, was at Freeport.

The trains were easy and efficient, I would not hesitate in using them. Make sure you are always aware of pickpockets...we lost a wallet with $4 and some credit cards. More a hassle as there was no fraudulent activity on the cards...I'm sure the wallet ended up in the trash can.:(

We used a taxi from ship to airport and it used credit card. We never did exchange money to DKK while in Copenhagen.

Just to make things clear, to get to Nordhavn you need to take the Øresund commuter train from the airport to central station or Østerport and then change to the S-train the rest of the way.

Bus #26 does not reach the freeport terminal in the weekend, but maybe next year it will.

Somehow I can't equate Denmark with pickpockets! Just a lesson for all of us to be very aware of our surroundings.QUOTE]

Yes, ironically, for such a safe overall city, pickpockets do seem to be a concern. I recall seeing signs at Nyhavn warning about pickpockets. I too am in disbelief that his is a problem, as Copenhagen and Denmark are extremely safe. But, do take care, and becareful to guard against such petty theifs.

Just to make things clear, to get to Nordhavn you need to take the Øresund commuter train from the airport to central station or Østerport and then change to the S-train the rest of the way.

Bus #26 does not reach the freeport terminal in the weekend, but maybe next year it will.

Do I change money at the airport to access the train and/or the bus? How much should I change, since I'll only use it for my husband and I to go from the airport to the Emerald Princess and back to the airport 10 days later?