Anyone walk from train station to Freeport Cruise Terminal- COPENHAGEN

Do I change money at the airport to access the train and/or the bus? How much should I change, since I'll only use it for my husband and I to go from the airport to the Emerald Princess and back to the airport 10 days later?
Tickets are available from the DSB ticket office above the railway station in Terminal 3. Tickets and travel cards (for the Copenhagen and Northern Zealand HT-zone) are also available from ticket machines in the station area. You don't need Danish kroner--they take credit cards. The office is very helpful.

Les

From the platform:

2009EURODAM31501-vi.jpg

and here the lay-out:

2009EURODAM31502-vi.jpg

you need first to go the left side of the tracks...

along side ALDI (cheap alcohol...)

2009EURODAM31506-vi.jpg

before you need to make a turn to the right under bridge to the Frihavn-side

2009EURODAM31508-vi.jpg

And that's the view from the portside:

On the left the station:

2009EURODAM30232-vi.jpg

and on the right the port entrance you get in.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Tickets are available from the DSB ticket office above the railway station in Terminal 3. Tickets and travel cards (for the Copenhagen and Northern Zealand HT-zone) are also available from ticket machines in the station area. You don't need Danish kroner--they take credit cards. The office is very helpful.

Les

Thanks so much for the information.

The PIN thing confuses me. We used our Visa to purchase tickets and we have a Visa that does not have a PIN number. Whenever we were asked for a PIN number we just punched in 4 random numbers and all our transactions worked. I guess I should count my blessings on that!:rolleyes:

The PIN thing confuses me. We used our Visa to purchase tickets and we have a Visa that does not have a PIN number. Whenever we were asked for a PIN number we just punched in 4 random numbers and all our transactions worked. I guess I should count my blessings on that!:rolleyes:

We purchased at all three machines last week tickets by credit cards:

Metro

old DSB-machine

new DSB-touch screen-machine

all three requires PIN for the credit card transaction.

You must ask your credit card company who will give you a PIN for your card.

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed ... is the station in your photographs Nordhavn ? is this also where the Freeport is? .... do you know if Osterport is the same place?

Dave.

The picture is taken from the platform of Nordhavn and you can see on the right side EURODAM and COSTA ATLANTICA in Frihavn.

Österport is port ahead of Nordhavn:

2009EURODAM31419-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed .... thanks for the picture ..... :)

I think i have it now! .. Frihavn is Freeport ? and the nearest station is Nordhavn where you took your photographs from which is in reasonable walking distance.

So if we took a Train to Osterport it would be further to walk to Frihavn ?

Heinbloed .... thanks for the picture ..... :)

I think i have it now! .. Frihavn is Freeport ? and the nearest station is Nordhavn where you took your photographs from which is in reasonable walking distance.

So if we took a Train to Osterport it would be further to walk to Frihavn ?

It was already by train an eternal ride from Österport to Nordhavn...

So I would change to the S-Train to Nordhavn for one stop.

Have a look again on this picture:

2009EURODAM30231-vi.jpg

2009EURODAM30232Beschriftung-vi.jpg

Personally I would not do it with big bags... It's not a direct way but a zick-zack-course.

On transit and just doing shore excursion I would do it.

But it's your decision.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

Hi

Did you do this walk?

How long was it

we are going FROM the airport back tot he dock in September 24th I think

Also did you use taxi's there seems they are very expensive

I got one Oslo-taxi quote $135 US from the airport to the cruise terminal

Thanks for any advise

Steve

My family will be in Copenhagen the beginning of July. The Emerald Princess will be in Freeport Pier 254 and we were thinking of taking the train from the city center to the cruise ship, walking from the station.

I found what I believe are instructions from GoogleMaps :

from Nordhavn Station 1.Head north on Østbanegade toward Hjørringgade0.5 km

2.Turn right at Vordingborggade62 m

3.Continue on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

4.Turn right to stay on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

5.Turn left at Glückstadtsvej0.2 km

6.Turn right at Klubiensvej

It doesn't seem too far and may be a bit of an adventure. I just wanted to know if anyone else did this and how it went or any bits of advice...

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Did you do this walk?

How long was it

we are going FROM the airport back to the dock in September 24th I think

Thanks for any advise

Steve

My family will be in Copenhagen the beginning of July. The Emerald Princess will be in Freeport Pier 254 and we were thinking of taking the train from the city center to the cruise ship, walking from the station.

I found what I believe are instructions from GoogleMaps :

from Nordhavn Station 1.Head north on Østbanegade toward Hjørringgade0.5 km

2.Turn right at Vordingborggade62 m

3.Continue on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

4.Turn right to stay on Sundkrogsgade0.1 km

5.Turn left at Glückstadtsvej0.2 km

6.Turn right at Klubiensvej

It doesn't seem too far and may be a bit of an adventure. I just wanted to know if anyone else did this and how it went or any bits of advice...

Thanks in advance!

HeinBloed .... thanks for your pictures and the explanation ....:D

We will fly from Bergen tot he main airport

a taxi was outrageous $140.00 or so back tot he FreePort cruise terminal

Can we take a train from the airport tot he cruise terminal

we will have two small suitcases for the 2 night trip there

thanks

Steve

Thanks for any advise

Steve

You cannot compare Oslo with Copenhagen.

Oslo's airport is far away about 30 miles.

Copenhagen's airport is a 25 minutes ride from the Cruise Terminal and it is around 60 USD - it's about 10 miles from the Free Port.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We will fly from Bergen tot he main airport

a taxi was outrageous $140.00 or so back tot he FreePort cruise terminal

Can we take a train from the airport tot he cruise terminal

we will have two small suitcases for the 2 night trip there

thanks

Steve

If you like to walk about 15-20 minutes from the train station to the Cruise Terminal.

If you are going on a weekday you can also transfer at Central Station to Bus 26 and it's only a walk of 8-12 minutes.

So train/bus-tickets are 31.50 DKK (around 6 USD) per person.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi

Did you do this walk?

How long was it

we are going FROM the airport back tot he dock in September 24th I think

Thanks for any advise

Steve

Yes, We did the walk and it was quite easy. Follow Heinbloed's instructions and you can't go wrong. We took the sub/train from our hotel, it is all easy.

We ended up taking a taxi cab from the ship to the airport upon disembarkation. As I said earlier, we were pickpocketed in the subway station. The only thing we lost was $4 and had a hassle on which credit cards to use for the trip. It ended up that the wallet with ALL our credit cards and ID came in the mail a couple of weeks later from Copenhagen Metro police. I guess the pickpocketers threw the wallet down after taking the cash. Someone must have turned it in.

Restored my faith in people....made me not as jaded in my view of Copenhagen. The whole episode could have been a lot worse.

Edited by MTJtraveller
Spelling

Hi, was in forum checking something else and saw this and thought I'd share my experience debarking in Copenhagen from Eurodam last summer. Disaster! Utter disaster. Not enough cabs. Queue was hundreds strong. Too much luggage. Train station walk was hot and exhausting (because of luggage primarily; not a bad stroll if you don't have too much to carry).

My advice, whether you're going from cruise terminal to anywhere in the city (but especially if you have to get to the airport on time): prebook a car to pick you up.

I had a whole day to kill before flying out, so not in the hugest hurry. Otherwise, did have a nice day -- took train to Central Station, checked bags, wandered across the street to Tivoli, spent afternoon there (had gorgeous lunch at new place (new last summer) called Nimb), then got back on train and went to airport. Train from city is easy peasy. It's just the port that's a problem.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Bottom

Thanks for the replies!

Danish Viking: I am a bit older than you :rolleyes: but still have teenagers who will be with us. I guess I am trying to be a bit frugle...there are 5 of us and I'm not sure if 1 cab will fit us. I sure hate paying double for everything...

If you are still there Danish Viking:

I had inquired about reserving a cab on our return from the Freeport Terminal to the airport. I was quoted $300Dkk for a vehicle that would accomodate my family of 5.

?'s: Would I expect about the same cab fare from the Avenue Hotel (near the Forum Station) to the Freeport Terminal?

And should I reserve a cab for disembarkation or do you think there will be cabs to accomodate my family already there? If a normal fare is near the 300Dkk, I would then reserve the cab.

Thanks so much for your input! Only 24!:eek:

What was that cost please

Not sure where your ship comes to port as there are two...the Emerald Princess, which we were on, was at Freeport.

The trains were easy and efficient, I would not hesitate in using them. Make sure you are always aware of pickpockets...we lost a wallet with $4 and some credit cards. More a hassle as there was no fraudulent activity on the cards...I'm sure the wallet ended up in the trash can.:(

We used a taxi from ship to airport and it used credit card. We never did exchange money to DKK while in Copenhagen.

The metro/train cost around $15 for the 5 of us.

The current price (2009) is 31.50 DKK/adult for a single trip from the airport to Nordhavn train station or with transfer to bus to Freeport.

31.50 DKK = 6.00 USD

Pre-booked taxis are around 300 DKK.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you were just walking (without luggage) the train stop to the ship is not that far, however pulling luggage might not be the best way to go. The cab was $40 I think. Tivoli - If you have already been to a boardwalk/amusement park I would not suggest Tivoli. IT is expensive to just get in, even if you don't plan on going on any rides. The restaurants are okay, but very overpriced. You have to pay to get in, to pay to go eat.

We had no problem getting a cab, they are lined up outside the cruise ship, and controlled with meters. You may get a driver that will try to double the fare, just watch and make sure you are paying what is up on his meter. The cars are equipped to take debit or charge cards. Drivers of course would rather get cash, they attempt to add some $$ onto the price and pocket the money.

If you were just walking (without luggage) the train stop to the ship is not that far, however pulling luggage might not be the best way to go. The cab was $40 I think. Tivoli - If you have already been to a boardwalk/amusement park I would not suggest Tivoli. IT is expensive to just get in, even if you don't plan on going on any rides. The restaurants are okay, but very overpriced. You have to pay to get in, to pay to go eat.

We had no problem getting a cab, they are lined up outside the cruise ship, and controlled with meters. You may get a driver that will try to double the fare, just watch and make sure you are paying what is up on his meter. The cars are equipped to take debit or charge cards. Drivers of course would rather get cash, they attempt to add some $$ onto the price and pocket the money.

I am confused...

A taxi ride from Freeport Cruise Terminal to Central Station (opposite of Tivoli) is about 120 DKK = 23 USD

A single ticket for the admission of Tivoli is 85 DKK = 16 USD.

A single ride ticket in Tivoli is 20 DKK = 4 USD

or I take a multi ride ticket for 210 DKK = 40 USD

40 USD for the multi-ride ticket

plus 16 USD for admission fee

= 56 USD

For Disneyland I am paying 72 USD for a day pass.

What's expensive to visit Tivoli???

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 6 years later...

sorry if this has been answered,we are booked one a cruise with NCL

to Copenhagen next May. We want to take the train to germany to visit family.

Are there Taxis available outside the cruise Terminal Freeport? and how long to get to the Central Train station?

Thanks in advance Marion

Do you realize that this thread is 7 years old?

The freeport terminal is not used anymore so is it perhaps Oceankaj.

Lets just say that it is Oceankaj travel time from Oceankaj is between 20 and 25 minutes with a taxi.

All the trains to Hamburg also departs from Østerport at 07:24, 09:24, 11:24, 15:24 and 17:24.

From Oceankaj you can take both bus 25 and 27 to Østerport.