skipping the muster drill

I was just browsing the Carnival boards and noticed someone posted a thread on them skipping the muster drill. They were proud of themselves and a number of others (though not all) approved and said they skip too.

Though I've never been on Carnival, on RCL I thought when you walked out to your muster station they took down your cabin number and noted how many passengers so they knew everyone participated. Is this just for appearance? I would expect Carnival has a similar way to make sure everyone is in their place.

I was just browsing the Carnival boards and noticed someone posted a thread on them skipping the muster drill. They were proud of themselves and a number of others (though not all) approved and said they skip too.

Though I've never been on Carnival, on RCL I thought when you walked out to your muster station they took down your cabin number and noted how many passengers so they knew everyone participated. Is this just for appearance? I would expect Carnival has a similar way to make sure everyone is in their place.

They do take down your Cabin # as well as the number of people attending the drill. You can skip it, but you will get a letter in your cabin as a slap on the wrist. They also check cabins for vacancy most of the time.

I guess they didn't think the rule applied to them---seems quite a bit of that going around these days! I agree the drillls are tedious but required for safety of all on board!

RCI takes the Muster Drill seriously. The staff has a clipbboard at your Muster station and take down your cabin number and how many in the cabin. All cabins are then checked. RCI has been known to hold the Muster the following day for those who thought that the law didn't apply to them the first time.

RCI takes the Muster Drill seriously. The staff has a clipbboard at your Muster station and take down your cabin number and how many in the cabin. All cabins are then checked. RCI has been known to hold the Muster the following day for those who thought that the law didn't apply to them the first time.

Another reason why I'm and RCI fan. It's kind of like having insurance. You hope you never need it but it's nice to have if needed and in this case, you may be gambling with your health or your life.

Does anyone else enjoy the muster drill?

It's one of the things on embarkation day that make you go "wow...we are really cruising!"

I have yet to cruise with RCI so not too sure how long the muster drill goes for, but on the cruises I have done, muster drill only runs for 15 minutes or so.

It's one of the things on embarkation day that make you go "wow...we are really cruising!"

I have yet to cruise with RCI so not too sure how long the muster drill goes for, but on the cruises I have done, muster drill only runs for 15 minutes or so.

15minutes or so if everyone shows up (and on time). As a previous poster mentioned, RCI takes this drill very seriously.

Yes, That to me is the official start.

Also keep in mind that the ship will leave on time. If they have to wait around for those stagglers or looking for those that aren't there there's a chance of missing sailaway. It's really not enjoyable standing there and watching the scenery slowly pass by knowing that you're moving. I haven't had that happen on RCI but on another cruise line it seemed to be the norm.

I would expect Carnival has a similar way to make sure everyone is in their place.

Nope, they didn't last week on my CCL cruise. It was a free for all. The crew member at our station didn't have a clip board to write down numbers. They didn't organize people by height, which is usually what I see happening on RCCL ships, so the kids and shorties didn't get up front and were smothered by the taller people.

I couldn't imagine skipping one though.

My parents sailed in March with HAL. Due to a dawdling employee at the airport, they missed muster drill, and thought that was that, but they were summoned the next morning and had to do it then.

The muster drill is a great time, but you have to make it that way. Its a great way to meet some of you fellow passengers. Its a serious drill, but you can have some fun while doing it. Make it an event and its not as bad as could be!

On my last cruise our (slightly pushy) room steward told us that we needed to go to the muster drill immediately but we got there so early that the crew wasn't ready yet and they didn't take down our cabin number. It turned out that we were marked as 'absent' and got the muster drill card of shame that night in our cabin.

Thank goodness that the card was the only 'punishment' that we got. :)

Muster drill is not ever a wonderful experience, but it is a necessity. Everytime we go, I swear that we will NOT be on time and stand there waiting for all those who choose to keep the rest of us waiting, Nevertheless, my resolve fails and there we are standing. Always hope we are able to meet some interesting people who are standing around us.

Hooooooorah for those times when we were lucky enough to have muster stations in the Schooner Bar or Chops!!!!!

On our last cruise the Captain made an extremely brief announcement..."This drill is now over".. Thought that was great!!!

We rarely go to the muster drill, my FIL talks to the cabin boy before hand and slips him a "few". They usually don't bother us.

But on one last cruise we were having a party in my FIL suite when they tried to make us with that muster drill thing. We told the person we didn't have to go but they insisted. Well things got kind of ugly, we demanded to see the Captain but they said he was "Too Busy". Needless to say, we did attend but we refused to wear those life preservers. Now thay I have been to it, I won't need to go anymore on my next cruise.

We rarely go to the muster drill, my FIL talks to the cabin boy before hand and slips him a "few". They usually don't bother us.

But on one last cruise we were having a party in my FIL suite when they tried to make us with that muster drill thing. We told the person we didn't have to go but they insisted. Well things got kind of ugly, we demanded to see the Captain but they said he was "Too Busy". Needless to say, we did attend but we refused to wear those life preservers. Now thay I have been to it, I won't need to go anymore on my next cruise.

all I can say is "wow"

If I am ever on a cruise where there is an emergency and there are people running around lost because they didn't go to the drill all I can say is that my luggage is getting off the boat first. :D

CABIN BOY ????? That says a lot about attitude. Good thing we don't all feel that way!

You have me speachless on this one. Don't know if you ment it this why but you came across as if you are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to you.

We were on Monarch this past weekend and had the pleasure of standing outside in the heat for 35 minutes because so many ding dongs decided that they didn't need to go to Muster Drill.

If they drown because they don't know how to get to the lifeboat, that's fine with me. But when they inconvenience all of the other passengers because they'd rather hide in their stateroom, well that's just childish.

All I can say is that if the ship goes down I hope you refuse to leave.

all I can say is "wow"

If I am ever on a cruise where there is an emergency and there are people running around lost because they didn't go to the drill all I can say is that my luggage is getting off the boat first. :D

CABIN BOY ????? That says a lot about attitude. Good thing we don't all feel that way!

You have me speachless on this one. Don't know if you ment it this why but you came across as if you are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to you.

All I can say is that if the ship goes down I hope you refuse to leave.

This poster posted the IDENTICAL post 15 months ago on another muster drill thread.

Ignore him. He is either on Cruise Critic to stir the pot (all of his posts are like this) or he is irremedial.

I'm under the impression that the muster drill is a legal requirement, not sure about US law, but I supose it might be possible to "go legal" on someone who outright refuses and is being difficult/insane. Folks seem to do the same kind of stuff at the TSA check points in the airports where US federal law does apply, then they wonder why they are being "harrased".

In any case I like others find the muster drill to be a positive part of the cruise experiance, what am I doing that's so important that I can't attend and support my fellow crusiers in a drill?

As an aside, drowning is the least of my concerns in modern day cruising, for me its fire, and knowing your exits in a fire will save your life.

Archived