Kinda dumb docking question

Nutbunch

If the Ship's itinery says "AnyTown 8:00am - 5:00pm", how soon can you get off the ship, assuming you have no special priviledges (suites or HAL excursion)?:confused: Also assume you are docked, not tendering.

Thanks for your replies to this question!

You *can* get off the ship as soon as they announce the ship has been cleared by the port authorities, but when you are *able* to get off may depend on the other passengers. Those passengers with certain excursions and in deluxe suites can disembark first.

It depends on the size of the ship. I know when I was on the Oosterdam last year and we got to Juneau (our first stop after 1 1/2 days of sailing) the crowd was huge to get off. However, on the Veendam, after two days of scenic cruising when we got to Haines there still was no crowd getting off, and it was like that all week, just walked right off.

Dandro is right on the money! As soon as you hear your CD utter those magic words "I'm pleased to announce that the xxxxxdam has been cleared by the local authorities" over the ship's P/A system, you can make your way over to the gangway. Chances are, you'll be able to disembark even when there are shorex groups assembling in the show lounge. Just be sure to listen to the directions and/or read your Daily Program. Now, if you're tendering, plan B goes into effect!

In my experience, many times those "magic words" are within 15 minutes or so of the scheduled arrival because we actually arrived in port well before our scheduled time.

On the other hand, if you are in a busy port with several other ships, that could delay the local authorities. Also, it may depend on whether individuals passengers must be seen by customs officials for a particular report (returning to St. Thomas from another Caribbean port, for example, requires U.S. immigration procedures).

It is very difficult for anyone to provide more specific information because it truly varies from port to port, ship to ship, and cruise to cruise.

"I'm pleased to announce that the xxxxxdam has been

The "XXXXdam"? I WANT to be on that ship- no need for shore excursions!:D:D:D Or- no time or energy for shore excursions!

Copper- you counting days? You short- timing it???

The "XXXXdam"? I WANT to be on that ship- no need for shore excursions!:D:D:D Or- no time or energy for shore excursions!

Copper- you counting days? You short- timing it???

Yes Sir, you bet ya!! I see the light! (No, not that light!)

Yes Sir, you bet ya!! I see the light! (No, not that light!)

For the first couple months it just felt like I was on a very long furlough.

Then you realize your never going back and it sunk in. Felt strange.

But soon you get your retirement groove going and all is good.

Rich

For the first couple months it just felt like I was on a very long furlough.

Then you realize your never going back and it sunk in. Felt strange.

But soon you get your retirement groove going and all is good.

Rich

30 yrs in one job is a long time!;) But I'm hoping to be doing something!

On the other hand, if you are in a busy port with several other ships, that could delay the local authorities. Also, it may depend on whether individuals passengers must be seen by customs officials for a particular report (returning to St. Thomas from another Caribbean port, for example, requires U.S. immigration procedures).

The good news is that CBP have stopped doing immigration inspections for what I believe they call "Closed Loop" sailings. Not sure of the exact criteria but basically if you are sailing from a US port and back to a US Port such as Fort Lauderdale or Miami etc then there will probably be no inspection(s) on the US Islands. It is also be rolled out for other areas such as Eastern Canada cruises.

Thanks for your replies.

I get from them that it'll probably take a little while because it's the first port (Juneau). There will be lots of ships (although we arrive at noon).

It would be great to get off before 12:30pm, but I should plan for 1:00pm. We have lots of stuff crammed into a short time frame. No doubt so do most other passengers. Gridlock! Footlock! I wish the ship got in in the morning. I'm just getting excited!

Thanks for your replies.

I get from them that it'll probably take a little while because it's the first port (Juneau). There will be lots of ships (although we arrive at noon).

It would be great to get off before 12:30pm, but I should plan for 1:00pm. We have lots of stuff crammed into a short time frame. No doubt so do most other passengers. Gridlock! Footlock! I wish the ship got in in the morning. I'm just getting excited!

Disembarkation is not affected by the number of ships in port: if docked each ship has its own exits and if you are anchored and tendering each ship uses its own boats to transport passengers dockside (there may be some delay if there is traffic congestion for the tendes at the docks).

Archived