Cruising with children and (A)H1N1

European_CruiseGirl

Hi cruising mommies! :)

DH and I have cruised extensively before but this September we should cruise for the first time with our 1yo DD (birthday next week :)) + my DM.

Final payment date is looming around the corner (also next week) for our September 20th NCL Gem Barcelona RT 7 day cruise but for the first time I am not sure if I'd like to cruise. :( And yes the reason being the "pig flu" (A)H1N1. I don't know if I'm just overly cautious or should we really worry so I turned to you. :D I understand that DH and I are the only ones who can make this decision but it would help me if I could have your imput on this one.

Are you worried about the new flu and cruising? Even cancelled? Or do you think that the flu is not that worriesome? Everywhere is stated that to avoid the flu hand hygiene is really important. But travelling with a 1yo making sure that DD has washed her hands every single time before putting them into her mouth, eyes etc after touching something is not possible (as I'm sure every parent knows). Or avoiding her to touch her mouth and nose (as recommended by WHO).

I keep also hearing that the next wave of the flu should start sometime during autumn and that it might be more severe than this first one was. My DM is asthmatic so I worry about that also. It seems that a lot of the people who have gotten the flu have also asthma. My DD has suffered some mild colds and has had a laryngitis episode once. Our pediatrician just says that no-one knows yet what the situation will be in the autumn so he cannot recommend anything. :confused:

Are you cruising as planned with your children this autumn/winter or are you having second thoughts? We do of course have travel insurance but it covers cancellation of the cruise only in the event of an acute illness in the family or if a national travel ban is issued.

We just got back from a cruise with our 2 year old - at the height of the outbreak and on a ship that just came from Mexico. It didn't even enter my head to cancel because of it. I think you have an much likelihood (and more, probably) to pick up infections/diseases/germs from everyday life. I keep repeating my experience with Noro - never been sick on a cruise, but my daughter got it 6 times at her daycare! Obviously, if it is going to make you uncomfortable or you won't enjoy yourself because you are worried, then you should cancel...but what would be the alternative? Stay home? You could just as easily get it at a land based resort....Good luck with your decision!

Shortly after 9/11, I took a group of middle students to Costa Rica. One of the students who had planned to go was withdrawn by his parents because they were afraid something would happen to him on the trip. He remained at school, and broke his leg at school while we were in Costa Rica. The kids who were in Costa Rica didn't so much as catch a cold.

The lesson is, you can't predict the safety or illness or someone. After my dh died at age 42, I no longer put off vacationing, because I don't know whether I'll be able to do it next year. ;)

Hi cruising mommies! :)

DH and I have cruised extensively before but this September we should cruise for the first time with our 1yo DD (birthday next week :)) + my DM.

Final payment date is looming around the corner (also next week) for our September 20th NCL Gem Barcelona RT 7 day cruise but for the first time I am not sure if I'd like to cruise. :( And yes the reason being the "pig flu" (A)H1N1. I don't know if I'm just overly cautious or should we really worry so I turned to you. :D I understand that DH and I are the only ones who can make this decision but it would help me if I could have your imput on this one.

Are you worried about the new flu and cruising? Even cancelled? Or do you think that the flu is not that worriesome? Everywhere is stated that to avoid the flu hand hygiene is really important. But travelling with a 1yo making sure that DD has washed her hands every single time before putting them into her mouth, eyes etc after touching something is not possible (as I'm sure every parent knows). Or avoiding her to touch her mouth and nose (as recommended by WHO).

I keep also hearing that the next wave of the flu should start sometime during autumn and that it might be more severe than this first one was. My DM is asthmatic so I worry about that also. It seems that a lot of the people who have gotten the flu have also asthma. My DD has suffered some mild colds and has had a laryngitis episode once. Our pediatrician just says that no-one knows yet what the situation will be in the autumn so he cannot recommend anything. :confused:

Are you cruising as planned with your children this autumn/winter or are you having second thoughts? We do of course have travel insurance but it covers cancellation of the cruise only in the event of an acute illness in the family or if a national travel ban is issued.

I think I am in more danger of catching it just living in Michigan.

Many doctors have been noting the fact that far more people die every year from the standard flu varieties compared to H1N1. It's the hot topic now and it's new, so it is getting the airplay. It's a reminder to keep up with the handwashing and other good habits but I would never let it change what I do.

We cruised on the Westerdam in late May. There was an outbreak of the flu ( not Noro) on our ship. Club HAL closed down b/c the employees were all quarantined. There were ( from what we heard) over 40+ employees of the dining staff down with the flu as well. I got reemed on another thread for this, so I will not elaborate our own experiences on this. Bottom line, you can pick this up anywhere. Grocery store, school, Target, ect. Our daughter does has asthma as well. We were extremely anxious about traveling when the H1N1 came out ( mostly due to the media).

Both myself and my husband are in the medical field and are well aware of hand washing, with kids, not always so easy. I came prepared with Lysol spray, clorox wipes to wipe every surface down in the cabin. However, H1N1 is a virus, so really hand washing is your best defense. As I am sure you do, we travel with her nebulizer, emergency liquid steriods, emergency antibiotics, and all the normal kiddie meds/ therm "just in case" of ANY kiddie cooties, not just H1N1. We have traveled with her everywhere.

She did come home with H1N1. Did it ruin our trip, absolutely not. Did it damper it a bit? Sure it did. Was it as bad as the media is playing it out to be? In our case ( and maybe we just got lucky), no. She did have a high fever for a few days and all the normal flu symptoms. But she did recover just fine. My point being, no one can predict anything. I think if you are prepared you will be just fine. We kept close communication with her dr right before our trip and obviously after the trip. I think for any parent that is concerned the right information is key. If you are informed it makes it less scary if they get sick at home or on a trip.

We are booking another cruise in October to Mexico. She could have just as easily caught this in the fall at school, or running errands, you get my point. You are the parents and only you can make that decision. Good luck!

You're just as likely to contract an illness at home as you are on a ship---moreso from your germy elementary school age kids....norovirus runs RAMPANT through the schools!!!

Personally, I'd rather have flu than noro!

You're just as likely to contract an illness at home as you are on a ship---moreso from your germy elementary school age kids....norovirus runs RAMPANT through the schools!!!

Personally, I'd rather have flu than noro!

Having read other threads on Noro and just lived with the flu, I would have to agree with you on that one!

:) Kim

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

I just called our TA and made the final payment so we are definitely going. :D

Thanks again!

You will have a great cruise! Stop worrying and have a GREAT time!

:) Kim

Archived