? About travel from Anchorage to Seward

CPlaces

Hi there! Note -- This is my first cruise and it was booked through Regent (the travel agent couldn't get through on the phone -- so I came home and booked directly).

I just received my flight itinerary today, which has me leaving from Dulles at 6AM (which means I'll need to leave home a 3 AM --not very relaxing!) and arriving in Anchorage about 1:30 pm. When I called my Regent agent, she was concerned because her info shows that the last arrivals in to Anchorage should be about noon, in order to get to train for Seward. She also gave me some general cost info about changing flights and adding a hotel (total would be $100 flight change and more than $200 per person for a hotel -- so about $700 for my husband and I, which seems a little unreasonable to me. Really, I'd be willing to pay the extra $100 each for the flight change and hotel room --- but it should not be almost $700!).

I will be calling the Land and Sea group on Monday about changing this. So my question to you all -- do you think it is reasonable for me to request that Regent bring me in the day before at their own expense? Apparently, if they decide I need to get in the day before, they pick up that cost. If I decide to come in the day before and they book it -- it's $700 - and I have to find my own way to Seward!

I'm willing to pay a reasonable hotel cost -- and the Hilton shows rooms that night for $223 -- so it doesn't make sense to me that I should pay $500 for a room at the Hilton if Regent books it -- or that the train portion from Anchorage to Seward is no longer included.

My package with them is inclusive, but the bottom line for me is that my scheduled flight doesn't arrive until an hour and a half after the agent says the last flight needs to get in! Or will they bus me to Anchorage because we won't get there in time for the train?

Any advice on how to approach this when I call on Monday would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The first thing I would do on Monday is to contact a knowledgable TA that can go to bat for you. It costs you nothing to transfer your booking to a TA. Just make sure that they have a good working relationship with Regent. This way you will have an advocate looking out for your best interests,

Host Dan

CPlaces,

Are you sure you are booked for the Grandview train from Anchorage to Seward. Bus transportation between Anchorage and Seward is included in Regent Air but the Grandview train is an additional $90 per person. Does your invoice from Regent show a reservation on the train and the additional charge? If not, then Regent will bus you to Anchorage and you will have sufficient time to get to the bus after your flight arrives. If you do have a reservation on the train, then Regent should have brought you into Anchorage the day before you sail and put you up at a hotel in Anchorage at no extra charge.

Dave

If you do have a reservation on the train, then Regent should have brought you into Anchorage the day before you sail and put you up at a hotel in Anchorage at no extra charge.

Dave is correct. We had this same situation for our cruise. Our flight through Regent was not due to arrive until 1:30, so we were going to be bused to Seward. We were told by our TA (who was told by Regent) that if we wanted to come in a day early, we needed to pay an additional $1000, which included the air deviation fee, hotel and transfers. I found out through others here on CC (not Regent) that if you purchase the train and Regent is not able to find a flight to get you in early enough to take the train, then they will fly you in the day before and put you up at the Hilton. But you must book the train first. Once you do that, Regent will go to work finding another flight for you.

If you are flying on air booked through Regent then you are being bussed to the ship. They control the air schedule and would not schedule an arrival too late for the transfer regardless of what your agent told you. The cut off flight arrival for the same-day TRAIN transfer is 1:00PM. Depending on what sailing you are on, I suspect it is too late to book the train transfer and thus get comped in the hotel etc, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for your help! At least I have a better clue now -- of course, it seems that logical thing would be to clearly state on my itinerary how I was getting from Anchorage to Seward. Then I wouldn't be worrying about missing a train, if I was scheduled for a bus!

Thanks for taking a few minutes to help a newbie understand what' going on!

Thanks for your help! At least I have a better clue now -- of course, it seems that logical thing would be to clearly state on my itinerary how I was getting from Anchorage to Seward. Then I wouldn't be worrying about missing a train, if I was scheduled for a bus!

Thanks for taking a few minutes to help a newbie understand what' going on!

The only "stupid" questions are the ones you don't ask!!!!

Since you are flying on Regent's air, look for ground staff holding something (sign/clipboard) that says REGENT on it. I suspect you will find this person as you enter the luggage area. Identify yourself to this person and they will take it from there. They are well used to dealing with first-timers and old-timers alike. Most of all, relax. It really will work like a clock and you will end up on the ship wondering what you were worried about.:D

Archived