Good & bad of a hump cabin on fos

I have read threads on the Hump Cabins and how great they are. I would like to hear from folks who have sailed in them on the FOS only. Tell me the plus or minus specifically. Which deck do you recommend?

We have sailed in many different cabins from inside to suites and now want to hear about these. There are only 2 of us.

Are the cabins toward the front side of the hump better than on the back side of the hump and why?

Are the cabins/verandas larger?

Does the noise from the elevators and people bother you in a hump cabin?

Thanks for your responses, Linda :)

Help me out. Still learning all the 'lingo'. What is a hump cabin and an FOS?

I assume FOS is Freedom of the Seas

If you look at the full deck plan diagram, you will see that in the middle of the ship there is a half circle type curve to the ship. The cabins there follow the curve.

We just booked a cabin on the Mariner that is in the middle of the curve (hump).

Someone posted a picture on another thread & that looked great although it seems people like all the 'hump' rooms.

"hump" when you look at the deck plans and see the area where the ship is rounded out, those cabins are hump cabins.

FOS stands for the ship Freedom of the Seas, just as IOS in Independendence of the Seas, etc.

Hi. We have sailed on FOS twice. The first time we were in cabin 9330 (d1) at the front of the hump and last year we were in 9338 (JS) middle of the hump. Next cruise we have connecting Junior Suites 9650 and 9654 on Liberty of The Seas. Both cabins on FOS were a great location and I have no doubt that the ones on the Liberty will be the same. We love deck 9 since it is so close to the Windjammer and pool deck. You won't hear any noise from the elevators. My first choice would always be deck 9 "hump" area. Wanda

There really are no "cons" to a hump cabin (or cabin in that area!) The cabins and balconies aren't any larger than a normal "side" cabin, but it's the location that is so good. Just steps from stairs and elevators (no noise, don't worry) which makes coming and going a breeze! (Once you're on the ship, you see how looooooong those hallways can be!)

All things being equal, the closer to the center of the hump, the slightly better your view will be...although ALL of the views from any balcony are more than adequate.

Pros: Location, location, and location. You definately have a better view from the balcony. Noise was not an issue on our deck 7 center hump cabin.

Cons: They still make you get off the ship at the end of the cruise. :p

Wanda or others familiar with LOS,

We also have js 9650 and 9654 on LOS this September. Are you going before then? I have not cruised Freedom class yet. Do you think these adjoining suites area a good location? Also, do you know if the partition opens to merge the two balconies? Thanks for the info if you can provide any!

We had 8338 on the Indy Nov 2008 13 day TA. This is a center hump cabin which allows you to see forward and aft. The official specs say that all cabins in a grade are the same size but to us the center hump cabin seemed longer on this ship (same as the FOS). Seemed more roomy between the bed and the sliding balcony door. I took some pictures of the area and will post link to my webshots a/c later when I am home.

As others have said, next to main (rear) elevators and quiet. We usually took the rear elevators up or down and then walked to the front of the ship thru the promenade or pool deck (as needed). The walk thru the cabin decks from back to front is looonnnggg.

Once a hump, always a hump. Unless you like long hikes to the afts.

There really are no "cons" to a hump cabin (or cabin in that area!) The cabins and balconies aren't any larger than a normal "side" cabin, but it's the location that is so good. Just steps from stairs and elevators (no noise, don't worry) which makes coming and going a breeze! (Once you're on the ship, you see how looooooong those hallways can be!)

All things being equal, the closer to the center of the hump, the slightly better your view will be...although ALL of the views from any balcony are more than adequate.

I wonder if I even have a chance...

I have a D2 aft of the hump on LOTS on floor 9, which I believe is near the exact location I had on FOTS. I wonder if I could get a forward hump or middle hump for this upcoming Sept cruise. (yeah right)

Hi Linda, I believe you're on our sailing on FOS in Sept (recognised your name from the roll call). We're in a D1 centre hump for the first time (been in E1 and JS before). I've got photos from another cruiser of cabin 9642 which we're in to give you an idea. I like the idea of being near the elevators and close enough to get to Windjammer etc.

9642_2.jpg.fc4fc109ad69ac862955375fcdfbf12b.jpg

9642_3.jpg.0374d91a2a6c73b06d0cc05b952057fc.jpg

We had a 'hump' cabin on Deck 8 - it was the first one aft on the hump. Yeah, they are nice and convenient, but I not the 'absolute rave" that I've read about. Half the time, you end up on the other end of the ship for one reason or another and end up hoofing it back to the cabins anyway down the long hallway. It's nice, sure, but definitely not a 'coup' to get one. If you've got a balcony, now that's a definite pro

:D

Wanda or others familiar with LOS,

We also have js 9650 and 9654 on LOS this September. Are you going before then? I have not cruised Freedom class yet. Do you think these adjoining suites area a good location? Also, do you know if the partition opens to merge the two balconies? Thanks for the info if you can provide any!

Hi. We are cruising August 22nd. They are a GREAT location and the balcony partitions can be opened for one large "party deck". I can't wait.

We had a 'hump' cabin on Deck 8 - it was the first one aft on the hump. Yeah, they are nice and convenient, but I not the 'absolute rave" that I've read about. Half the time, you end up on the other end of the ship for one reason or another and end up hoofing it back to the cabins anyway down the long hallway. It's nice, sure, but definitely not a 'coup' to get one. If you've got a balcony, now that's a definite pro

:D

No matter where your cabin is, you have to hoof long distances on a ship longer then the Empire Building is tall, at times. Imagine having to walk 250 feet to get to the elevator or stairs to go down 6 decks to walk to the dining room.

On our last 2 cruises with both cabins on the hump we always went down to deck 5 and walked across the promenade to get to either the Schooner Bar or the theater. Much more interesting then walking down that looong cabin corridor.

And with a center hump you get to lean out (carefully) to check who is doing what on the non-humps :) at night.

Of course, on Princess most of the balcony cabins are only partially covered so if you are a pervert with night goggles and are in a top deck balcony................

No matter where your cabin is, you have to hoof long distances on a ship longer then the Empire Building is tall, at times. Imagine having to walk 250 feet to get to the elevator or stairs to go down 6 decks to walk to the dining room.

On our last 2 cruises with both cabins on the hump we always went down to deck 5 and walked across the promenade to get to either the Schooner Bar or the theater. Much more interesting then walking down that looong cabin corridor.

And with a center hump you get to lean out (carefully) to check who is doing what on the non-humps :) at night.

Of course, on Princess most of the balcony cabins are only partially covered so if you are a pervert with night goggles and are in a top deck balcony................

Note to self:

Carefully monitor, and avoid this man's cruises. :eek::D

I wonder if I even have a chance...

I have a D2 aft of the hump on LOTS on floor 9, which I believe is near the exact location I had on FOTS. I wonder if I could get a forward hump or middle hump for this upcoming Sept cruise. (yeah right)

It could happen. Keep checking for availability. (There's a website out there...) We moved from a few cabins aft of center hump on Mariner, to 7618, center hump, after final payment had been made.

Last year we sailed on Mariner we had hump 7622, and the location was great.

Thanks to all who replied, we already have a balcony on FOS and we love them. I was just wondering why so many people rave about a hump. Planning another FOS and have the chance to get one.

I know all about the long hallways from the IOS, we got our exercise. We are closer to rear elevators on upcoming FOS cruise.

PeterUK, we can discuss on our own thread. Linda,

aka: Red Ann Reckham

• 3 weeks later...
We had 8338 on the Indy Nov 2008 13 day TA. This is a center hump cabin which allows you to see forward and aft. The official specs say that all cabins in a grade are the same size but to us the center hump cabin seemed longer on this ship (same as the FOS). Seemed more roomy between the bed and the sliding balcony door. I took some pictures of the area and will post link to my webshots a/c later when I am home.

As others have said, next to main (rear) elevators and quiet. We usually took the rear elevators up or down and then walked to the front of the ship thru the promenade or pool deck (as needed). The walk thru the cabin decks from back to front is looonnnggg.

Once a hump, always a hump. Unless you like long hikes to the afts.

Your photos were so helpful -- we are in hump cabin 7338 which centre hump a floor below the one you stayed in- We were on Independence last year in a promenade cabin ( which was fine) but this cabin looks that extra bit special-- thank you

I wouldn't exactly "rave" about them... but if you can have a hump view for the same price as a regular balcony view, then why not?

I feel the same way about the aft balcony cabins in the Vision class ships... especially if you can score a corner cabin! If it's available - why not? (Now, talk about a looooong walk!)

It might require a little more work on your part to keep checking cabin availability to see if you can score a better spot, but to me, that's part of the fun.

Ann

We had hump staterooms 9634(JS), 9638(JS) & 9640(D1) on Freedom last year and the partitions definitely open up! It was great having such a big balcony to use and it made a nice place for sitting out w/the family before dinner. Be sure to ask your stateroom attendent to open them up upon your arrival.:)

free-bal.jpg

We have been in the center hump cabin on Explorer and Mariner, Liberty will not be that much different as the Genesis class ships are actually a streached out version of the Voyager class ships. This being said, I agree with someone who posted this earlier, there is no cons to this location. They have all been reasonably quiet, no more noise than we have had with other cabins. The location makes it easy to get to the promonade which is a big plus as you get almost anywere from there (except the windjammer and the pools. :) )

I would disagree with the poster that stated the felt the cabin was larger, this is not the case, nor is the balcony.

Tim

I think I can answer your question.We sailed on the FOS and our cabin was on deck 9.:)

The cabin was dead center on the hub and personally if you cannot get dead center or a cabin on either side you are wasting your time and money because you have to crane your neck to see.

The Balconys are a bit bigger. large enough to hold s lounge chair,two regular chairs and a small table but not so big that it makes that much of an issue. Hope this helps:confused:

We had hump staterooms 9634(JS), 9638(JS) & 9640(D1) on Freedom last year and the partitions definitely open up! It was great having such a big balcony to use and it made a nice place for sitting out w/the family before dinner. Be sure to ask your stateroom attendent to open them up upon your arrival.:)

free-bal.jpg

Thanks for sharing, great photo. I presume this was taken from 9640, we're in 9642 this sailing.

On our upcoming cruise with friends, we currently have booked cabins 9340 and 9640. I thought this would be neat as we'd be on opposite sides of the ship and could sneak across if the view was on the other end.

After seeing this post about opening partitions, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to cancel our reservation for 9340 and book 9642 instead so we could have an extra long conjoined deck next to each other. Thoughts?

On our upcoming cruise with friends, we currently have booked cabins 9340 and 9640. I thought this would be neat as we'd be on opposite sides of the ship and could sneak across if the view was on the other end.

After seeing this post about opening partitions, I wonder whether it wouldn't be better to cancel our reservation for 9340 and book 9642 instead so we could have an extra long conjoined deck next to each other. Thoughts?

Hi! I'm in 9340 for January! If you go before that do you think you might post some pics of the balcony and cabin when you get back? We are going with other people too and thought about opening the partition but then we all decided it may be nice to use our balcony as an escape from everything. So we can go there to be alone, be romantic, eat, read whatever and don't have to worry about having it be a shared space with others. Even though you're on with friends sometimes its nice to have that balcony for a little alone time :)

Archived