Internet packages on Infinity

grummanyankee

I'll be bringing my mini-laptop along for the Alaska cruise on Aug. 7th. I was wondering about the various internet packages offered. I like to keep in touch with friends daily but I don't linger. Which package has been helpful for you? Did you use all of your minutes or have minutes left over? Which do you think is the best package to buy?

I haven't been on Celebrity in a while, but here's are my best tips for getting the most out of your minutes on a cruiseship:

- I use a separate email account for only for travel. My email loads much quicker since that account doesn't receive much email. I just send a reminder from that account before I leave to tell family members only to send to that account while I'm gone.

- I type up my emails in Word while I'm offline (you could use Works or any word processor), and then quickly copy/paste them into an email when I'm online. Likewise, I copy the text of emails I receive into Word, get offline, and then I read them in Word and get my response ready.

Do you have a netbook? If so, which kind and would you buy that one again? I'm going to get one before my next cruise. My current top choice is the ASUS Eee PC 1000HE with 9 hour battery life. It will be nice to not lug the laptop.

Here are the internet fees:

Internet minutes are available at 5 different rates:

• $0.65 cents per minute with no package.

• $40 for 75 minutes

• $60 for 125 minutes

• $80 for 185 minutes

• $100 for 260 minutes.

Please Note:

• Apple MAC default browser (Safari) is not compatible with the Wireless network onboard. Please obtain Firefox or Internet Explorer for MAC prior to accessing the Wireless system onboard.

I also brought an Asus Eee Pc. I got a smaller one which has about 4hr battery time. Very handy for the Internet, transferring photos (has a SD slot) and uses OpenOffice which as a Word, Excel, and Powerpoint compatible files.

You can't get internet in your stateroom, but I'd go to the Cova Cafe for a special coffee and sit and use the internet. The above post has great ideas. I would also write out my emails on Word and then paste in and send. Saves a lot. I also use new email address and give to who I will email with. So I don't get all the large emails I usually get on my standard email.

I got the 125min package and used it all on a 14-day cruise. Usually there is a discount at the start of the cruise of giving you 20% increase in the minutes you pay for. Elites get a coupon (at least did) for another 20%. Can't use them at the same time, so I was going to use the coupon into the cruise but didn't use it.

Denny

Thanks for the email hints. That sounds like a great idea. My laptop is an Acer Aspire One,

AOD150-1577 10.1 inch Netbook with a 6 cell battery. I got it from Amazon.com for $329. Yes! I would buy it again. It came with Windows XP. My son took some things out and put some things in, and added XMarks so that all my bookmarks are synchronized with my laptop at home. My only complaint is that the black exterior shows fingerprints. I wish I had gotten a color other than black. The keys are a very nice size for me and I can use my wireless mouse or not. There is no cd, but it has 2 ports for add-ons. I use it just for email and surfing. It has no modem so you need WiFi, however that's available almost everywhere I go. It weighs 3 pounds and fits in my medium sized purse with no problem.

Hi!

I just booked an Alaskan cruise on Infinity so am on this board for the 1st time. On the Princess board there is a thread about Netbooks & a few links to comparisons of them. I am also trying to get one but the Acer Aspire 9.8" I want seems to be out of stock around here.

~Jo~ :)

Archived