Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

Thanks for the information, lucky you phoenix and I'm glad to hear Tex confirmed my thoughts, sorry it had to cost you. I've been to New York too and figured there was very little I could do in a few hours effectively, so I was planning on staying near the airport with a shuttle if possible. I will check out the Hilton Garden Inn. How early did you get to the airport for the Cairo flight and how was it checking in and getting on board? I could have taken a same day flight which would have arrived around 2:30 but I just didn't want to take a chance on a cancellation, etc.

Jo Ann

Also, someone mentioned no alcohol on board Egypt Air did anyone bring small bottles on the plane? Does Egypt Air have the same security restriction on liquids? Did anyone get any dirty looks for doing so? Okay I'm really not a lush but with the long flight a little something to help me sleep would be nice :-)

Thanks for the information, lucky you phoenix and I'm glad to hear Tex confirmed my thoughts, sorry it had to cost you. I've been to New York too and figured there was very little I could do in a few hours effectively, so I was planning on staying near the airport with a shuttle if possible. I will check out the Hilton Garden Inn. How early did you get to the airport for the Cairo flight and how was it checking in and getting on board? I could have taken a same day flight which would have arrived around 2:30 but I just didn't want to take a chance on a cancellation, etc.

Jo Ann

Also, someone mentioned no alcohol on board Egypt Air did anyone bring small bottles on the plane? Does Egypt Air have the same security restriction on liquids? Did anyone get any dirty looks for doing so? Okay I'm really not a lush but with the long flight a little something to help me sleep would be nice :-)

Jo Ann

JoAnn: we always try to fly in a day ahead...... flying these days is such a mess. We have had a problem EVERY time in the last 8-9 years !!! Seriously. We actually headed to the airport quite early. They ask for check-in 3 hours before but we were there perhaps another 45 minutes ahead of that. I like to get there, get checked in and then relax. However, once we got there they were not even checking in people yet. We went downstairs and ate and relaxed and then came back up and there was a line :eek: Funny thing is a guy came over and seperated the line beginning with us and we actually checked in at the First Class desk (we were NOT flying first class!) Went quickly and no problems. After they weigh your luggage you take it to the xray machines and then you don't see it again until Cairo. A 2:30 arrival flight would have only given you a one hour window for ooopps......not enough !

Yep, no alcohol on Egyptair. Buie (Steph and Randy) brought small alcohol packets on the flight with them. Never saw them before but I think she got them online. Vodka perhaps ? Don't really remember. But they didnt have any problem bringing them on. Don't know about bringing small bottles of liquor. Just be discreet. I'm sure most wouldnt even know what it was.....:D Note: Just did a web search and I found some called Pocket shots and some others called Skybar liquor packets. Not sure where you can get them tho..... Steph ??? can you answer this one ?

All who have gone before, again, I thank you all so very much for all of the info, you guy kept the blog goin' for quite some time. Those of us who are in "waiting mode" come to this site every day and sometimes several times a day! LOL. I know you did too before you went. I was so used to finding so much info every day that I got to be like a dog with a bone. Ha.

I was just mourning the little snippets of chitty chat. Forgive me. But you still keep reeling out the good info. Amazing! I hope I can reciprocate.

Thanks for the spice info, I love to cook and have made a list of the spices I would like to pick up in Egypt. I never even thought about the customs issue......thanks!

As for the alcohol issue, I need a bit of the nectar to get to sleep and I plan on taking just pkg liquor bottles (the ones the US airlines gives you when you buy a cocktail on board) in my quart sized bag. If they confiscate it........so be it. Yes, JoAnn, we are lushes!! lol.

You guys are the best! But did anyone answer the "whisper" question? I wonder if this is that personal earpiece so you can always hear your guide even if you aren't huddled around them.

Talk to you soon. And you're all right, 6 weeks will fly by....and soon it will be all over.

JoAnn, my travel buddies are staying overnight at the airport and I think it was a reasonable rate. Priceline? I'll ask them and get back to you.

Suzie

Thanks Suzie,

Are you going the night before? I'm beginning to get excited all over again since I am 4 months away, can't wait until it's 4 weeks. Anyone out there have any alcohol tips for the flight out, back, and on the river cruise let me know and of course keep posting all those goodies, I'm taking notes.

JoAnn,

I am so psyched!!!! Six weeks and counting and it will fly by. As for alcohol, lol, I am filling those small bottles and packing them in my quart sized bag. We'll see, I'll keep you posted. My friend and I are taking booze in our suitcases!!!!

So excited.

Later,

suzie

You are scaring me with the "no booze" on Egyptair cause I hope there is booze on the Prince Abbas lol. I don't think we would enjoy our dinner without at least a glass of wine or 2!!!! I think I can survive the flight as usually I try and sleep without the alcohol, but I sure wouldn't survive the cruise without the booze...it is vacation after all lol. We fly in 39 days and I am getting so excited. We are travelling ourselves this river cruise as the friends we usually travel with had to cancel....her Mom is in the hospital and is not too stable yet. Egypt is so far away and she is an only child so she has to be around. We were so sad but this is my dream trip so I can't cancel...life is too short and I can't take the chance on waiting. So we talk to everyone and my DH and I are looking forward to meeting new friends while we are cruising. Keep the helpful hints up if you don't mind....love reading them.

Corinne

Gosh Corinne, I'm sorry to hear that your friends will not be able to join you. I wish you were going with my group, you sound like my kind of people! Bad news though, I hear the wine is not very good in Egypt, you may need to learn to like martini's!!!

39 days til you fly, I leave the week after you, we should compare notes when we both get home. I am interested in your trip a you seem to have a very cool itinerary.

Working on my group plans as my friends and I are consolidating a lot of stuff so we don't have too much to carry and pay for.

Cheers!

Suzie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the hotel information, will be watching fares but probably won't book unless there is a blip in price, I'll be checking daily both hotels.

Corinne, sorry to hear about your friend, I'm traveling solo first time because as my DH is not a traveler especially out of the country and because of that I find I spend a lot of energy on our trips trying to make sure he enjoying the trip which takes away from things I would like to do, and we agreed that it is not a good use of money if he doesn't enjoy it. I just need to find a female travel buddy for future trips but I'm looking forward to trying this alone. I know it sounds selfish but my bucket list involves extensive travel.

Now for the booze,

I usually take a bottle on cruise ships, there are plastic clear flasks (looks like an IV bottle) purchased through amazon from a company called Rum Runner. No problem on the commerical cruise ships as the flask is not shaped like a bottle and is more square and flat plus it saves a lot in weight no bottle. I do purchase drinks on the ship but like to have a drink when we are on our balcony and this is convenient and cost effective.

Having let out my little drink secret, does anyone know if there is a place to buy a bottle of booze or wine in Egypt? I'd prefer to purchase after landing since it will save on weight and fill my flask before getting on the riverboat.

Also, I'm going to sample some instant coffees before I leave because I have to have at least 2 cups before I can move, and my experience at least locally is that the middle east coffee is served in very small cups and very strong. Strong is okay but mentally I need a full size cup of coffee and know that I couldn't drink a full cup of their coffee and enjoy it.

I'll end this drink theme and let someone post their experiences on drinking in Egypt and on the ship.

Love, love, love this board!

Jo Ann

We will be going in March and I understand there are liquor stores in Cairo. I read one report that said they cary French wine and the Egyption beer is good.

We plan to take a Falucca ride for an hour or 2 on the Nile while in Cairo and plan to take beer and wine (hope I can find some glasses for the wine). My brother found one report that said to offer the boat operator a beer. He may or may not take it.

We are staying at the Marriott and hope to be able to get a picnic dinner packed for our Falucca adventure. I also understand we will need insect repelent if on the river in a small boat in the evenings.

We are all getting excited. We leave in 10 weeks.

Norine

There is ample beer, wine and liquor available att all hotels and on the cruise ships in Egypt. In fact, Viking provided 2 free glasses of wine or beer with dinner on both the Royal Lotus and Prince Abbas. The Luxor brand beer was pretty good. The Egyptian wine wasn't A+ but wasn't bad, they do have other bottles from a small but serviceable wine list. We flew Delta so I can't comment on Egypt Air's alcohol policy.

Phoenix Cruiser we will be on the Prince Abbas for one of the boats. I am glad to know they do have wine and beer onboard.

We will also be flying Delta. I hope the planes are comfortable in coach for sleeping, since I am not at sleeping in a moving object. Since they only fly to Egypt 4 times a week I hope we are not taking a chance that anything will be delayed. We fly Delta from Phoenix to Kennedy, NY and wait about 5-1/2 hours for the Delta flight to Egypt. We will be meeting my brother and his wife who fly Lufthansa from San Diego with 2 stops. We are hoping there will be no flight delays as we arrive about an hour after they do in Cairo.

Norine

We were pleasantly surprised at the roominess on Delta. Wife and I had the 2 seats on the side, and while it wasn't business class fully reclined seats, we did each manage a good amount of sleep in the 10+ hour flight. We always fly in a few days early just because of the uncertainties of air travel.

About alcohol: You will not have any problem finding plenty of alcohol to drink in Egypt. The best beers are Sakkara and Stella. Sakkara is a very strong beer and Stella is right behind it. They are readily available everywhere. As to hard liquor, we found the bars to be stocked with pretty standard brands. Now the wines were a bit tricky. Local wine (the ones we tasted) didnt do ANYTHING for us. At all. So we pretty much stayed away from wine on this trip.

I fell in love with their mango juice there and on the Nile cruise I actually found that a shot (or two ;)) of top shelf rum in a glass of mango juice was not only tasty but good ! I also like to drink tequila (straight) sometimes and had no problem finding some good brands of that.

Unless you are trying to save money or are taking your favorite wine, forget packing alcohol. Ask your guide for a place to purchase liquor. Actually - ask (and trust) your guide for any information while you are there. They are most accomodating and will try everything to make your experience top notch!

Egyptair does not serve alcohol on their flights. You can take it with you in small bottles or the pocket shots. No one said anything but I would be discreet. Also, Egyptair was a really nice airline. Lots of leg room, comfy seats that lean way back and a little step in front for your feet that would adjust to different heights. Most of my uncomfortablness comes from that I am short and usually can't really reach the floor comfortably so this was a real bonus ! I actually dozed on this flight (which I NEVER do)

Hope this helps !

Jo Ann,Sounds like we are gettin' some really good info here on our booze issues! I live in Columbus and you live in Covington, not that far away! If you are looking for a female travel partner, I have a single traveler that we might be able to hookup.

Anywho, I have the same issue with my husband. He was gonna go on this trip and then he decided that he didn't think he could do it.

Thanks to Tex for the booze info,I may not take any. There are places to buy it when we get there, but we have a flight to Luxor. Again, with the restrictions.

By the way, for some stupid reason, my travel partner and I are NOT going the night before, we are leaving the day of the flight. Wish us luck.

Suzie

Hi everyone,

Don't worry about the no booze on the Egyptair flight. Tex is right. Randy and I brought it along. You pack it in your quart size clear bags. We brought these little liquid packs that we bought at our local liquor store as well as little airplane bottles. We had absolutely no problem, we were just discreet pouring it. As far as on land and on the ship, you can get pretty much what you want. I drank beer for the most part and Stella and Saqqara were both good. Simpjo, they sell the little packets of alcohol at Dep's in Southgate, KY. I live in Newport. If they don't have any in stock, I'm sure they'd get it for you. They sell all kinds of liquor in the packs I think they're called Portishots or something like that.

Steph

Steph ! Where you been ? How was Mexico ? Hope you had a good time !

Susie, another problem with packing alcohol is you really don't want to take the chance on any leaking in your suitcase.... It would NOT be a good thing to smell of alcohol in Egypt !! LOL. I promise you will pretty much be able to get whatever you want, barring it is something way out there.

Hi again my knowledgeable CC friends,

Did I read on this thread earlier on to bring kleenex pkgs. and wipes and travel rolls of toilet paper? I really want to ask about the toilet paper blush, blush, LOL. Did someone mention you can buy "small travel" rolls of toilet paper. If so can you tell me a well known store you can buy them in. I am in Canada but right across from the U.S. and it is only 1/2 hr. drive to cross over. If there is such a thing, I would drive over to buy some. I have looked in our WalMart here and a few of the super grocery stores and have have not found it. Please tell me there is such a thing and I have not been imagining I read that. My husband said to start saving our toilet paper when it gets down to a small amount but that would still take up a bit of room it I brought along some of them. Anyhow I would appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks alot again.

Corinne

Gosh Corinne, I'm sorry to hear that your friends will not be able to join you. I wish you were going with my group, you sound like my kind of people! Bad news though, I hear the wine is not very good in Egypt, you may need to learn to like martini's!!!

39 days til you fly, I leave the week after you, we should compare notes when we both get home. I am interested in your trip a you seem to have a very cool itinerary.

Working on my group plans as my friends and I are consolidating a lot of stuff so we don't have too much to carry and pay for.

Cheers!

Suzie

Thanks for those kind thoughts Suzie. My husband and I don't mind travelling ourselves as we love to meet people from other places and we are both very friendly, outgoing people so we usually talk to whomever will talk to us lol.

Our friends Mom is being moved to a "retirement/nursing" home on Tuesday and if she seems to be doing okay in a week or 2 then they are going to try and book with us again if there is room. Keeping our fingers crossed for that.

One thing you can do when travelling with others is instead of each of you bringing "imodium, Tums, Aspirin", etc. get together and assign each person a "remedy" item and have them bring a large bottle, package, etc. and then you yourself don't have to bring all of it along with you. That is what we did...shared....then you keep the weight down to. It is hard not to bring alot of that along especially if you are going to 2-3 weeks as we are.

Talk soon.

Corinne

All:

I'm taking baby wipes. They are a dollar at my grocery story in packs for travel. The end of the roll idea is a good one!

I always take baggies for all kinds of purposes. Baby wipes, toilet paper, snacks, whatever.

Suzie

hmmmm toilet paper - always a fun topic ;)

I took those small packages of tissues. One each day in my "excursion bag" did the trick. When you pay to use the facilities in Egypt (one

Egyptian pound coin - less than .20 US) they will give you like three little squares...... so you definately want to take some of your own, whether rolls, some in a baggie or whatever.

You will also want to take hand sanitizer. Whether the little squeeze bottles or the wipes. Egypt is dirty.

Oh and the BEST piece of advice I can give you...... DO NOT USE THE BATHROOM AT THE STEP PYRAMID. With mummy tummy I had no choice but it is truly the worst bathroom I have ever been in - period. In retrospect I think I could have waited..... coulda shoulda wished I hada !

enough of that ! :D

Archived