Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

Did you or anyone else go back out to the pyramids? If so what is the best way to get there? Thanks, have a great Thanksgiving in the Bahamas. Supposed to be nice here Wednesday, think I'll take the motorcycle out for one last ride.

Ron

Hi Ron,

We actually went back to the pyramids on the day we did Memphis and Sakara. We had done the pyramids the day before but really wanted to climb into the Great Pyramid. There was a long line for tickets that day and our guide suggested we come back the day after in the afternoon when the line would be shorter. Apparently they sell so many tickets in the morning and so many in the afternoon. As usual, our guide was 100% right. He even ordered a lunch for us (that was awesome) and had the driver drop us off. He told us to just catch a taxi back across the street. There were 5 of our 11 that did this. No problem with the taxi either.

If you want to climb the pyramid, keep in mind that you have to basically crouch down and climb at the same time. We did get to go in other pyramids in Sakara that were easier. If you're claustrophobic, you may have trouble with the Great pyramid in Giza. There are no hieroglyphics in that one but it is cool to do it nonetheless. Make sure in Valley of the Kings to do Tut and the extra Ramses (I think it was Ramses VI). There are only two that are extra. They were absolutely fabulous. Tut's tomb has his third sarcophagus as well as his body on display in his tomb. It is a small tomb but very much worth it. Just wait till you see the Valley of the Kings all lit up at night! That was one of the most incredible sights. We were sitting on our ship across the Nile with it all lit up. You are in for a trip of a lifetime! We still our processing all we saw. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Steph

Ron,

I know Cheryl (aka Tex) brought some, but no she didn't give them to kids. I think she ended up leaving them either on the ship or at one of the hotel rooms. There are kids, but we didn't see that many that were either asking for things or to give things to. We saw more on the shore when we were sailing or at the bazaars. Maybe it's just the timing of our trip.

Steph

Salam alaikum! (Peace unto you all.) Posting from Luxor on the 11th day of our tour. Sorry I have not posted earlier, but the internet on the ship is not working. Having a GREAT time. There is so much to do. The highlights have been hot air ballooning over Luxor and going back to the Karnak Temple at night to see the sound and light show. We asked our guide to arrange both and she did a great job. We used Hod Hod Suliman for the balloon ride and they were fantastic. We spent about an hour in the air and floated over the Valley of the Nobles, Ramseum, and of course the Nile River. We had a clear day and a super smooth landing. You will have to wake up at about 4am to make the sunrise flight, but it is totally worth it. The cost is $120 per person (still totally worth it). Our guide's name is Shereen and she is fantastic. So professional, knowledgeable and very friendly and engaging. The food in our ship, the Queen of Hansa, has been very good, and we have had very few cases of mummy tummy for a group of 31`people. We are headed to Hurghada tomorrow. Will try to post more ASAP.Diana

Hi all,

Happy thanksgiving. I just had to post this especially with all the talk of "mummy tummy", I had mummy tummy (first time ever) over Thanksgiving and I sure was wishing for some atinol! It lasted 3 days and I'm just now feeling like I'm among the living. You don't have to go overseas to get it.

Take care all

Diana,

I am so glad someone has finally done the hot air ballooning and will be able to give good info! I want to do this very much and will go with whatever the tour guide recommends as they are the best! I think we fell into a really sweet deal with Gate 1 and have complete faith in their abilities to make sure our trip is fantastic. Will await your return for more good info!

I note that the temps are in the high 70's and 80's in Cairo, is that cool in the desert? Was it warmer in Luxor, Aswan and Hurghada?

Simpjo, hope you feel better!

Suzie

Hi guys, back from the Bahamas. Had a great trip. Wonderful flight over in the private jet. Man o man, thats the only way to fly !!! Just glad my brother in law was paying for it $$$$$. We did some great diving, snorkeling and tons of eating ! Looked at some property too, but don't think anything said "buy me !" to bil. Oh well, guess we have to go back ! Actually Mike and I are looking to go to Roatan for Christmas. Have to research that soon ! Instead of tree and a bunch of presents they don't really need - thought we would see if our son (26) and daughter (33) would rather have a trip to Caribbean.... we'll see.

Tons of stuff to do today..... glad to hear that those who are there now are having a great trip.......how can you not ? Hey Steph, sorry we couldnt stop and pick you up - would have had fun together in Abaco !!!! I did email Ayman before we left to thank him again for our wonderful experience....he emailed me right back !!!! I plan to keep in touch as I told him I would find out some info for him on lecturing here in US at colleges my niece works for. Hope everyone had a great Turkey day ! TEX

The count down has begun. A week from tomorrow leave for JFK then on to Cairo. Weather has turned cold here with snow flurries today. Looking at 72F in Cairo for our arrival on the 10th. That will be so nice. Just about go everything together, couple of small things to get besides the last minute money grab. Did a test pack of my luggage yesterday. Had most of what I plan on taking loaded and still had room. The best part was the weight, came in at only 24 pounds.:D Lots of room for goodies coming home. Any last minute tips from anyone?

Ron

Hi guys, back from the Bahamas. Had a great trip. Wonderful flight over in the private jet. Man o man, thats the only way to fly !!! Just glad my brother in law was paying for it $$$$$. We did some great diving, snorkeling and tons of eating ! Looked at some property too, but don't think anything said "buy me !" to bil. Oh well, guess we have to go back ! Actually Mike and I are looking to go to Roatan for Christmas. Have to research that soon ! Instead of tree and a bunch of presents they don't really need - thought we would see if our son (26) and daughter (33) would rather have a trip to Caribbean.... we'll see.

Tons of stuff to do today..... glad to hear that those who are there now are having a great trip.......how can you not ? Hey Steph, sorry we couldnt stop and pick you up - would have had fun together in Abaco !!!! I did email Ayman before we left to thank him again for our wonderful experience....he emailed me right back !!!! I plan to keep in touch as I told him I would find out some info for him on lecturing here in US at colleges my niece works for. Hope everyone had a great Turkey day ! TEX

Hi Cheryl,

Glad you guys had fun! We're in the cold here in KY. Not liking it!

Ron, this week will fly by !!!! and before you know it you will be standing in front of the pyramids saying "WOW" :D

Geez..... 24 lbs ?? both of ours came in right under the 50 lb. limit. On the way home tho they were both slightly over.....one by 2 lbs and the other by 6 lbs. Of course the huge brass hooka pipe that Mike bought didnt help the weight situation. It did help that it broke down into a few pieces so it all fit. Oh - and the $872.00 worth of perfumes and oil he bought also weighed a bit :rolleyes: But we had so much fun shopping and didnt worry about the weight...... we did have to buy a small carry on in Luxor but I didnt have one coming over so no extra bags or fees on that. Egyptair didnt charge us anything or weigh anything.....but Continental got us coming back from NY. Have heard if you check it all the way thru you can bypass that problem. Only thing is we stayed overnight in NY coming home (we couldnt make connections) so had to re-check so they charged us $50. for the one that was 6 lbs over. Oh well.

Steph, sorry you are having "cold" - we are actually kind of chilly here too. 52 degrees right now......but sunny and g--o-r-g-e-o-u-s ! Canal out back looks like a sheet of glass...... Got your email re: friend request for Ayman. Mike had tried before to send one - came back. He has his security on highest level.... perhaps he has changed it tho. He did email us right back when I sent him a Thank you email tho. Oh, and thanks for the Happy B'day to Mike ! Been looking at "next trip" stuff. Not really planning anything right away. Have girls cruise in March first....then will get serious about another trip :) Oh, got an email from Karol Ann and John. They sent us 2 pics..... one was of a lady on a camel who didnt look like she was enjoying it.....they thought it was me but it wasnt. Too funny. Had to write them back and tell them it wasnt me...... The other was the one of all of us in front of step pyramid. That is a good pic ! Tell Randy "HI" - talk soon. Cheryl

Wow! $800 in perfume oils...............are they that good? Any other must haves? My grandaughter wants a cartouche, suggestions?

Suzie

Suzie,

I bought my cartouche on the ship. They send them out either in Aswan or Luxor. Cheryl bought hers there too. Not sure what ship you'll be on, but your guide can help you too. We even bought t shirts with our cartouche on them!

Steph

Wow! $800 in perfume oils...............are they that good? Any other must haves? My grandaughter wants a cartouche, suggestions?

Suzie

Dh thought so. I hadnt planned on getting as many as we did, maybe 3 small bottles....but we (he) just kept going...........they have buy 6 get 2 (or 3) free deals too. We gave 2 as gifts and kept the rest. I wear it everyday actually. I love the Jasmine for me and the Frankincense and Myhrr for the house is wonderful. They also have gorgeous carved crystal perfume bottles.....

Suzie,

I bought my cartouche on the ship. They send them out either in Aswan or Luxor. Cheryl bought hers there too. Not sure what ship you'll be on, but your guide can help you too. We even bought t shirts with our cartouche on them!

Steph

Yep, I bought 6 cartouches.....5 silver for gifts and my gold one. Paid $30.00 each for silver ones..... some turned out better than others. If the name is really long - make sure and tell them NOT to try and fit it on a smaller one......it gets sorta of scrunched up. My gold one ($1000.00) is gorgeous though. I had the scarab put on the back of all the silver ones (Good Luck) at no extra charge and on mine I had the ankh (long life) and scarab (good luck) put on the back. No charge. Ordered 5 t-shirts - also mostly gifts. The papyrus' are beautiful too. Bought a large one for dh office, and they gave us a smaller one for free (buy X amt = get smaller one for free) so one for office and one for home. Leather stuff in Luxor is nice too..... got a cute camel leather purse for $ 50.00. Hooka pipes - bought two :eek: or dh did ! One big brass one for office and smaller traditional glass one for home. Bought books at each place - especially the ones where you can't take pictures (Cairo museum and Valley of the Kings) as I collect them for coffee table. Handmade jewelery by Nubians. And be sure and get your galabaya from the guys on the little boats while you are stopped for the locks.....what fun ! And crazy !!!! Hmm, spices in bazaar are neat too. Got curry and vanilla bean. They will seal them so you can bring them back. Also some beautiful white shirts etc. with white embroidery on them...... bought one for father-in-law. He loves it ! Gee, can you tell I am a shopper ?

Wow, all good stuff! Yes, I can tell you are a shopper, you have me beat by a mile. I will probably buy silver cartouches as $1000 is way out of my price range. So scarab and ankh are good luck, I can use all I can get.

Thanks for all of the good tips.

Suzie

For us shopping challenged the bath oils and cartouches sound like great gifts for the girls in the family, but what do you get the guys? I have a son, son-in-law and three grandsons, 19, 11 and 3. Any suggestions?

Ron

For us shopping challenged the bath oils and cartouches sound like great gifts for the girls in the family, but what do you get the guys? I have a son, son-in-law and three grandsons, 19, 11 and 3. Any suggestions?

Ron

Lots of people were buying the t-shirts with the cartouche on them for the guys.....and the grandkids. But when you get to a bazaar you will see a TON of other stuff too. Saw lots of items like unique canes/walking sticks, brass or silver trays (lrg and small) really nice inlaid boxes (think keys and jewelry on the night stand) for the guys, the hooka pipes are a definate hit - they have all sizes but even the larger ones break down and they will put in a carrier to bring home. In the bazaar you can get a nice one (glass bottom) for @$20.00. Makes a nice (unique) conversation piece. I guarantee that once in the bazaar you will see lots of options.

Dh took his secretaries their gifts on Friday. We found 3 neat silver cuff bracelets in one store. All the same - but different. One had Nefertiti, one had Cleopatra and one had scarabs all the way around...... bargained them down nicely ! Brought them home and used silver polish on them and they were gorgeous ! The girls loved them ! Also found a unique thin bangle with a silver ankh on it. I wanted an ankh but didnt want another necklace....... so on the last day in Egypt found this bracelet. Oh, and at the perfume place they have gorgeous cut crystal perfume bottles, both for men and women.... great gifts. Also neat glass items that you put the aromatherapy oil in and a tea lite and makes the whole house smell good !!

Hmmm, what have I left out ? :D

Ron

Have a great time and remember us when you get home. I wll be especially interested in whether we will be on the Neptune or the Queen of Hansa.

Also interested in the shopping and whether you did hot air ballooning or not. What ever you choose to share is good. Soon it will be my turn.

Is75 cool in Cairo? Packing is a question.

Suzie

I'm taking a light wind breaker for Egypt, the question is what kind of jacket to take for the weather before we leave? Going to drive to Charlotte Wednesday spend the night at a park and fly hotel. What we save in parking fees more than pays for the hotel. Then there is JFK, we will be spending the night there on the return trip as well. I've got a feeling no matter what I take it will be the wrong thing. Oh well, can't say I haven't frozen on a trip before. :cool:

Ron

We both took medium weight coats/jackets (mainly for NY) and ended up carrying them all over Egypt :eek: I did use mine as a cover for the flight over (JFK-Cairo) as the plane was freezing ! The flight back was just the opposite :(

so Ron, have the butterflies started yet ???? It's getting close !!!!!

Ron,

Hope to learn from everyone else's mistakes. Let us know about the jacket issue. We go in Feb and leave out of Columbus, OH, it should be pretty frigid by then. Right now it is freezing!

Have a great time! Be thinking 'bout cha.

Suzie

Sorry for the delay in posting. Got back from Cairo Friday and we are trying to get back to reality (bummer). We had a smooth trip home with no problems and our luggage arrived when we did. The highlights of the trip were snorkeling in the Red Sea and floating over the Nile Valley in a hot air balloon. We highly recommend doing both. Our guide, Shareen, arranged the balloon ride with a great company, Hod Hod Suliman. The sunrise flight was amazing. It is definitely worth getting up at 4am. Only 6 people from our group of 30 went, but afterwards many wished they had done it. A representative from Hod Hod Suliman met with us on the boat the night before and answered all our questions and collected payment. The ride is truly a memory that will last a lifetime.

As for snorkeling, we took a tour with "idive" which is located at the Ft. Arabesque in Makadi Bay. The coral and fish were beautiful! We did a 2 hour tour which cost $22 per person. They take you away from the crowds to huge coral formations that you have all to yourself. We couldn't believe there were only 3 people on our snorkel tour as the Red Sea is famous for its coral formations and colorful fish.

About cartouches: they make great gifts. Our guide took us to a jeweler in Luxor who does beautiful work at very reasonable prices. I think it was called Mamluk Jewelry. Ask your guide for advice.

Above all, stay flexible, rest when you can, and have a great time.

Diana

Tell ya what Suzie, it isn't all that warm in East Tennessee. Currently 20 deg. with a light breeze and snow. Can't wait for some warm Egyptian sun. Diana, thanks for the tip on the jewelry store and the snorkeling. Definitely putting them on the list of things to do. Already had the balloon flight. I fly light planes but never been up in a balloon. Should be a blast.

Ron

Archived