Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

Hey Ron,

You'll have to let us know how crowded it is and how hot! Umbrella, excellent idea for keeping the sun off of your head!

The money thing sounds easy too. I am saving $1 bills. Do they have to be new and crisp? When I was in Peru, they wouldn't take "new money". Not sure what that was all about?

Antinal and visa are #1 priority when I get off the plane! Sounds like we are in for a heck of a trip, cannot wait. Still want to see if anyone did the hot air ballooning thing. I'm celebrating my 60th and we have a 50th celebrant and a 70th celebrant on this trip and we want to be daredevils!

Thanks all for the great info............you are the best!

Suzie

Still want to see if anyone did the hot air ballooning thing.

Hi Suzie,

We too are looking for info on the hot air ride. I searched and all I found was that it is a tethered ride ..... up, view, and back down again. The poster said nothing about the view however.

Jim

Hot air ballooning enthusiasts, check out Sindbad Hot Air Balloons. No tethered ascensions;). Hopefully we can do the trip. It's my 60th birthday next year and I've always been afraid of heights. I'm hoping to conquer it...........in a very big way. So check it out!

Suzie

TEX!

You are the bomb!!!! I can't wait to read the rest of your story. So, I leave in Feb, do you think the MS Neptune will be out of commision that long? No problem, not planning on taking computer just curious.

I want your guide. He sounds fab and I want him on my tour! We are a group of 9 and I am thinking of emailing Gate 1 and asking for him specifically. Wonder if it will work?

Not too into food anyway, but did you try the Mohgul Room at the Mena House? We heard the food was great there. Also, Barry's which is close to the pyramids and you can see and hear the laser light show without paying and a good seat.

So glad you got home safe and sound.................relax and take it easy.

Thanks for all!!!!

Suzie

Suzie,

We went to Barry's instead of light show. Absolutely great location and food. We had prawns with steamed rice and veggies and it was about $20 USD. Great price and you can see and hear the light show. They take reservations but it wasn't crowded at all. They had two decks and were incredibly friendly. They also had a full bar so you could have any kind of drink you wanted. We completely would recommend it! Cheryl is doing such a better job than me at posting right now! I promise I'll post more this week.

Steph

Yeah Steph, where ya' been ? So I was looking at Tahiti cruise...... you guys better not bail on us !!!!! We will have way too much fun on that trip to bail !!!! Get certified tho ........

How are you doing on the jet lag ? I know you had to go back to work yesterday..... there is no way I could have done that. Mike and I were totally useless all weekend... better now. Actually getting some wash done.

I really want to say we had so much more fun because of you guys !!!! We have had sheesha twice since home.....seems our son likes it too :D

There appear to be several balloon companies,and if we can work it in, I would consider going with Hod Hod Soliman. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294205-d658854-Reviews-Hod_Hod_Soliman_Hot_Air_Balloon_Rides-Luxor_Nile_River_Valley.html

Don't know how old this article is but there is nothing newer than April 2010 on their web board.

http://www.luxor-on-line.com/transport-air-balloons.html

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ron

Yeah Steph, where ya' been ? So I was looking at Tahiti cruise...... you guys better not bail on us !!!!! We will have way too much fun on that trip to bail !!!! Get certified tho ........

How are you doing on the jet lag ? I know you had to go back to work yesterday..... there is no way I could have done that. Mike and I were totally useless all weekend... better now. Actually getting some wash done.

I really want to say we had so much more fun because of you guys !!!! We have had sheesha twice since home.....seems our son likes it too :D

We had way too much fun too! We're not gonna bail on Tahiti! We're still hitting the wall several times a day with jet lag. Today I'm finally kind of feeling like myself. I was useless over the weekend too. Have you guys heard from Ayman at all?

There appear to be several balloon companies,and if we can work it in, I would consider going with Hod Hod Soliman.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ron

Ron, everyone says to trust your guide. Tell him what you are looking for - he will find it for you. Trust me..... it worked for us on quite a few occasions.

Stephanie: Havent heard from Ayman but I plan to send him an email. He gave Mike his card (thought he gave Randy one too) with his personal email on it. Re: Tahiti - can't do February 2012...... Princess doesnt have a sailing that month that just does Tahiti- only Hawaii to Tahiti or reverse. But January has 2 sailings and months after have some too..... seems that is rainy season tho. We have plenty of time to figure it out tho. Trying to get wash done and then pack again :eek: Only shorts and swimsuits tho :D

Tex and Buie

You are two after my own heart! LOL, I am planning my next trip while waiting for my current trip. Tahiti, been there. It is beautiful but $$$$$$

If you go to Papeete, take the ferry to Moorea, it is all that and more. Just avoid the urge to whip you bathing suit tops off and join the locals. LOL

Interesting culture, Tahiti. I hope you are able to find the cruise you want.

I've been toying with southeast Asian destinations. I would love to go back to Cambodia. I would also like to see Vietnam and Thailand. I also need to go to Europe again................decisions, decisions, decisions!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Suzie

Love you guys,

I'm doing the same with thinking of the next adventure. I'm leaning towards India but have an interest as well in Vietnam and Thailand. I'm trying to hold back on any decisions but I'm constantly looking. Tahiti, Austrialia, China again, Turkey and Greece, my head is spinning just not sure where to go :-)

I took someone's idea of saving $1.00 bills to build a stash of tip money, what a great idea, just hope I don't have to break the cookie jar before the trip!

Take care all and keep the post going.

Jo Ann

Hello, everyone.

We are down here in Alabama taking care of the million and one things to do before our trip begins in TWO DAYS. We are supposed to be on the MS Queen of Hansa, and I don't know if they have internet available. I will try to post if possible during the trip.

Question for Tex: While in Luxor, did you visit the Luxor Museum? I read it was really nice. Also, did you go to the light show at the Karnak Temple? I heard that one was much better than the one in Cairo.

We were also hoping to do the hot air balloon ride while in Luxor. If we are able to, I will definitely post a review with all the details.

Tex, thanks again for all the info. Glad you had a great time.

Diana

Hello, everyone.

We are down here in Alabama taking care of the million and one things to do before our trip begins in TWO DAYS. We are supposed to be on the MS Queen of Hansa, and I don't know if they have internet available. I will try to post if possible during the trip.

Question for Tex: While in Luxor, did you visit the Luxor Museum? I read it was really nice. Also, did you go to the light show at the Karnak Temple? I heard that one was much better than the one in Cairo.

We were also hoping to do the hot air balloon ride while in Luxor. If we are able to, I will definitely post a review with all the details.

Tex, thanks again for all the info. Glad you had a great time.

Diana

Simpjo,

We did the Luxor Museum. It was set up nicer than the Cairo one and did have air conditioning. It wasn't as good as the Cairo one though. Definitely you should see it though. None of us did the light show at Karnak. We went to the Luxor temple at night and that was just gorgeous. Look into that Barry's restaurant. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. They have a website on the internet.

Steph

Yep, always looking ahead to that new adventure !! We have definately got the "travel bug"....... Actually got a brochure from Gate 1 yesterday. They have now joined forces with Royal Caribbean and have trips with land and cruise combined. Looked at the Thailand ones as that is way high on my "next to see" list. Tahiti is too. And we want to go back to Italy for a land vacation.

As Steph said, we did go to the Luxor museum. While it was a/c and better marked I did not like it near as much as the Cairo museum. When you walk into the Cairo museum you instantly feel a spark. Everything is jammed in, musty, dusty and oh so exciting. They are building the new museum near the pyramids along with a train type shuttle to go back and forth from sphynx, pyramid and museum. The old museum will be only King Tut items. I for one, will be sorry. I loved the atmosphere in the Cairo museum. Was waiting for Indiana Jones to come around the corner any minute !

We did not do any light shows. We opted instead to head to a local bazaar or hooka bar and have shisha (finally got correct spelling!) with our guide. We really got to experience the local atmosphere as mostly locals there. That is probably my favorite part about travel....... connecting with the locals, their food, their music etc. I bought a cd of the Nubian group that played at the shisha bar we went to at Kom Ombo. Now I can put it on, close my eyes and instantly be back there again. They were alot of fun and let us "play" their instruments. Have great video of that night !!!!

Balloon ride - just no time. It is a very (repeat very) early morning if you want to do it. We had many early mornings - so when a not so early morning came along (meaning a 7 or 8 am wakeup call) we took adavantage of it :rolleyes: Again, trust your guide and ask him/her to arrange it for you.

As for $1 bills - take some but really you will use more Egyptian pounds than $1 bills. I ended up exchanging most of mine for EP. Probably only used about $30 worth.

We leave home one month from today. We are on the Pathway of the Pharaohs cruise with Viking that starts in Cairo on December 21. We are going in early to get adjusted and to spend more time in the Cairo Museum. We are booked at the Intercontinental Seraramis which is right on the Nile and only 2 blocks from the museum. This has long been at the top of our bucket list and we truly appreciate all the great feedback, reviews and advice from fellow CC members. I am not sure what Internet access we will have while there but I promise to post a detailed review when I return. My only fear is that after this vacation it will be the new gold standard and will be hard to top!

We leave home one month from today. We are on the Pathway of the Pharaohs cruise with Viking that starts in Cairo on December 21. We are going in early to get adjusted and to spend more time in the Cairo Museum. We are booked at the Intercontinental Seraramis which is right on the Nile and only 2 blocks from the museum. This has long been at the top of our bucket list and we truly appreciate all the great feedback, reviews and advice from fellow CC members. I am not sure what Internet access we will have while there but I promise to post a detailed review when I return. My only fear is that after this vacation it will be the new gold standard and will be hard to top!

Oh yeah, this one will definately be way up there on the "one to top" list. Internet at hotels is def available - just runs $$ sometimes. Believe it or not, we also found it hard to find time to get on and post..... we were going going going the whole time. On the Nile cruise you will have more time but then the internet is sketchy at best. The best way is to buy a vodaphone. But even then connection was lost at any given moment causing me great frustration - so I just quit trying. I found it much more enjoyable to just relax and let it go..... :o PS: get Antinal as soon as you get to your hotel. They will have it. $2.00 US for 24 tablets and the stuff works ! Have a great trip and come back and let us know how it went.

> PS: get Antinal as soon as you get to your hotel. They will have it. $2.00

> US for 24 tablets and the stuff works ! Have a great trip and come back

> and let us know how it went.

Please tell me more about Antinal. Can you start taking it as soon as you get in or should you wait for the symptoms? We're going on Uniworld's cruise 3/25/11 and I'd like to know what to expect.

thanks...glen

> PS: get Antinal as soon as you get to your hotel. They will have it. $2.00

> US for 24 tablets and the stuff works ! Have a great trip and come back

> and let us know how it went.

Please tell me more about Antinal. Can you start taking it as soon as you get in or should you wait for the symptoms? We're going on Uniworld's cruise 3/25/11 and I'd like to know what to expect.

thanks...glen

This is right from the box which I brought home with me.

" Antinal - nifuroxazide

Broad spectrum intestinal antiseptic for the treatment of diarrhea and gastroenteritis " Each capsule contains 200 mg nifuroxazide.

There is a long page enclosed with the tablets explaining Composition, properties, Indications and dosage. I won't type all of it but it does say " has an excellent tolerability and a wide safety margin therefore it can be prescribed safely during pregnancy, lactation and in infancy"

At the first sign of any stomach distress (greasy, quesy feeling, gurgling or diarrhea) begin taking 1 capsule 4 times a day. I took it for 2 days (8 tablets) and then a maintenance dose of 2 a day for another day or two. I got sick as soon as my feet touched Egyptian soil I think ;) Again halfway thru the 15 days and again at the very end ......... but I was a bit daring when it came to trying foods etc...... I did not have any bad cramps with Mummy Tummy and it really was more of a nuisance than anything. It can tend to slow you down a bit tho....... but I kept going and did not miss any excursions or activities.

This stuff is good. One gentlemen in our group (out of 11 - 8 got it) who brought other medication with him.....he ended up getting some Antinal and said it worked better. Our hotel (Le Meridien) in Cairo had it available. Then we also visited a pharmacy (with our guide) somewhere along the Nile (don't remember exactly where) and purchased another box. 24 capsules to a box and cost is $ 2.00 US so cheap and it works !!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Buie and Tex,

Thanks for all of the great info. You are part of the reason that I love this website. When I went to the Baltics a couple of years ago, this website provided such good info that I thought I would never experience the same level of info and adventrure. But, it appears that there are many opportunities for top notch travel out there.

To date I have eaten curry off the streets of Phnom Penh and steak tartare in Nicaragua, all without problem. I know, very gutsy and very stupid! I plan on purchasing my Antinal as soon as possible so I don't get the mummy tummy!

I also take a broad spectrum antibiotic and a Z-Pak just in case........the nurse in me mandates it! Being careful and washing your hands frequently is key also. A good idea is to place a plastic baggie over the water faucet when you are in a hotel or on the cruise ship as a reminder not to use the tap for toothbrushing! Keep your mouth shut in the shower too! But the chances are you will get it anyway.

Later,

Suzie

Those oon'f you who have gone before us, what are some of the do's and don'ts? With CB it was DO NOT EAT AT THE TEX MEX AT THE MERIDIEN. LOL

But did you find anything you experienced as a highly recommended or a don't even think about it? My group that leaves in February are in the last stages of planning and don't want to waste time planning something that is not worth it. Still looking for someone who has gone to the Moghul Room for dinner. We have so few meals to plan for and don't want to make any bad decisions.

Thanks!

Suz

Those oon'f you who have gone before us, what are some of the do's and don'ts? With CB it was DO NOT EAT AT THE TEX MEX AT THE MERIDIEN. LOL

But did you find anything you experienced as a highly recommended or a don't even think about it? My group that leaves in February are in the last stages of planning and don't want to waste time planning something that is not worth it. Still looking for someone who has gone to the Moghul Room for dinner. We have so few meals to plan for and don't want to make any bad decisions.

Thanks!

Suz

DO: Eat at Barrys Restaurant (make reservations) the night of the Light Show. It is on the roof of a building placed so you can hear and see it all while you eat dinner. I wasnt feeling good that night, but Buie and her dh went. Said it was the best food of the trip. We also ate at Felfala's - around the corner from the hotel. Didnt think it was all that great.

DO: See if your guide will take you to the Shisha bar in Kom Ombo (or elsewhere) We had such a fun guide, he took us whenever we asked (which was often) On the Nile cruise we were supposed to visit the temple of Kom Ombo on the way to Aswan, but our guide switched it to when we came back as he said there would be less crowds and heat. So we all went to a "petting zoo" for lack of a better term and saw a baby camel, some goats etc..... then walked a very short distance to a hookah (shisha) bar and had juices/sodas and our first shisha !!!! A Nubian band was playing and they let us play one of their instruments..... tons of fun pictures from that one ! I Bought their CD :eek:

DO: Drink lots of water. Watch where you are walking. Hold on to the stair railings in the tombs of the Valley of the Kings. I almost tumbled down a set as they are not even and the same size. Have fun with vendors in the boats at the locks....... bargain hard ! Buy Antinal. Take tons of picture storage - you will take a whole bunch !

DON'T: Stress over if you will get sick. 8 out of our 11 did. It wasnt THAT bad. Antinal works great. I wouldnt take it before any signs, but at the first gurgle - start.

DON'T: Stress over any changes - they happen. And don't fill up all your "free time" as you need it to re-charge. Sitting on the deck of the cruise part was really nice. Watching the shore go by, farmers, kids waving etc. You truly feel like you are transported back in time..... well, except for the satelite dishes ! Get plenty of sleep, the "shows" and other entertainment on the ship is only so-so.....we didnt stay up late hardly at all. There are too many early mornings to do so.

thats all I can think of for now. I need to get packed for Bahamas - leave tomorrow morning ! Happy T-day !

texancruzer or buie, where did you stay when you came back to Cairo prior to coming home?

Ron

We stayed at the Iberotel right at the exit to the airport. Had seen some really negative reviews before we left but I felt the hotel did not warrant those negative reviews. The room smelled a tad of smoke, but all of Egypt smells of smoke as everyone (99.9% anyway) there smokes. Our guide told us it was a national crisis...... I believe it. Said Egyptians spend 63% of their income on cigarettes :eek: But it wasnt bad smell...... the pool area was nice, the buffet was good and the location can't be beat for getting to the airport the next morning. It is right there ! It worked great for one night.

Did you or anyone else go back out to the pyramids? If so what is the best way to get there? Thanks, have a great Thanksgiving in the Bahamas. Supposed to be nice here Wednesday, think I'll take the motorcycle out for one last ride.

Ron

Archived