Any thoughts on whether to lock luggage???

henrid

Heading out Sunday for our next cruise. Will be driving to port so no airline luggage concerns. First two crusiese we used FAA approved locks on luggage, last two no locks. No indication any of our luggage every opened. Curious as to the latest thoughts on whether to lock luggage before handing to porter at dock. Does using a lock increase likelihood they will open to check for inappropriate items - such as rum runners?

I've heard some people use zip ties as opposed to actual locks - what are thoughts on using these??

Many thanks for your thoughts!

We always lock our luggage - flying or not;) Only takes one time to regret not locking them. Of course, all the good stuff stays with me in a carry on, but don't want anyone snooping:p We have had our luggage opened when flying a couple of times....got that little TSA note in the bag, but everything was there - guess we didn't buy the right type of booze:rolleyes:

Do NOT lock your luggage. Do NOT put valuables in your luggage. If you put valuables in the luggage, and put a lock on it, you are just advertising to TSA crooks that you have valuable stuff in them. Don't believe me? 12 TSA inspectors were recently arrested on grand theft charges. This happens all the time (these are just a few that happened to get caught)

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/11/02/the-tsa-follies/

Do not put valuables in your luggage. Do not advertise your luggage with locks.

I always lock my luggage and I never put valuables in them. We just make a habit of locking it when we hand it off to porters at the cruise terminal.

Locks also come in handy at the hotel or in your room for bigger stuff that doesn't fit in safe.

So cameras and laptop go in luggage and then we lock up on port days. Anyone could come into your room, you never know, best safe than sorry.

JMO, Carole

I always lock my luggage and I never put valuables in them. We just make a habit of locking it when we hand it off to porters at the cruise terminal.

Locks also come in handy at the hotel or in your room for bigger stuff that doesn't fit in safe.

So cameras and laptop go in luggage and then we lock up on port days. Anyone could come into your room, you never know, best safe than sorry.

JMO, Carole

We just bought the locks for our soft shell luggage and may buy the TSA strap so we can use our samsanite hard shell luggage more often. We use that as a "safe" in the room. On a/c flights we have asked the inspectors to open/inspect right there so we could lock it before leaving our sight.

I usually use zip ties... but this last cruise, last month, left them unlocked...

No problem coming or going!!!!

Our friends lost their football jerseys at the airport between checking their bag and receiving it. Ours had been ransacked but nothing taken since I carry any valuables, including our jerseys.

Guess it is hit and miss with the thiefs so I would zip tie or lock.

I use zip ties. I use them more as a deterrent for when my luggage is sitting in the hallway before I get to my cabin or when/if I set it out the last night of the cruise.

Locks are pretty useless if your luggage zips. A zipper can be opened and re-closed without you ever knowing. Best thing is not to have anything of value in your luggage. Carry a bag for your meds, cameras, jewelry, etc.

I would recommend that you use colored ties. The reason that I say use colored is that I made the mistake of putting just plain white ones the first time and black ones the second time and both times my luggage had been gone through and things stolen, but these guys were smart they put new ties were put back on and I did not realize until I got home that things had been stolen. I also use the locks as well now, just for the added security.

I would recommend that you use colored ties. The reason that I say use colored is that I made the mistake of putting just plain white ones the first time and black ones the second time and both times my luggage had been gone through and things stolen, but these guys were smart they put new ties were put back on and I did not realize until I got home that things had been stolen. I also use the locks as well now, just for the added security.

i get the neon translucent colored ones. especially among the trades - one of the rarest you'll ever see, no doubt. good point.

You can get the colored ties at most hardware stores.

Travelling over the border, I use them more as a deterrant for people putting "stuff" in my suitcase, then taking anything out.

You hear stories.....

You can get the colored ties at most hardware stores.

Travelling over the border, I use them more as a deterrant for people putting "stuff" in my suitcase, then taking anything out.

You hear stories.....

Note to self...

Colorful ties... Never thought of this, but I've heard about it!!! WOW!!!

I guess it would be DOUBLY tempting if one had a late number for debark... I don't rush off the ship... ???

Archived