Any thoughts on whether to lock luggage???

henrid

Where do you find these?

i bought them at some local store - don't even remember where it's been a while. in case you can't find them locally, though, here's a link to some colored ones (not the neon translucent like i have) on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-7-5IN-Multicolored-Cable-Pieces/dp/B00005T3ZY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1245881369&sr=1-3

given the fact they come in packs of like 50-100, that purchase should last you several cruises :)

Heading out Sunday for our next cruise. Will be driving to port so no airline luggage concerns. First two crusiese we used FAA approved locks on luggage, last two no locks. No indication any of our luggage every opened. Curious as to the latest thoughts on whether to lock luggage before handing to porter at dock. Does using a lock increase likelihood they will open to check for inappropriate items - such as rum runners?

I've heard some people use zip ties as opposed to actual locks - what are thoughts on using these??

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Since you are driving to the port it is really your choice. I don't lock mine when I fly because if TSA wants in they are going to get in anyway. The ship is a different matter your luggage will be x-rayed but it will not be opened without you being there (TSA is not involved with the luggage on the ship that is a cruise line function).

I lock it when getting on the ship just to avoid it accidentally coming open. If a thief wants in it they are going to get in locked or not.

Heading out Sunday for our next cruise. Will be driving to port so no airline luggage concerns. First two crusiese we used FAA approved locks on luggage, last two no locks. No indication any of our luggage every opened. Curious as to the latest thoughts on whether to lock luggage before handing to porter at dock. Does using a lock increase likelihood they will open to check for inappropriate items - such as rum runners?

I've heard some people use zip ties as opposed to actual locks - what are thoughts on using these??

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Always lock the bar, uh, your luggage. Carnival even tells you to do so...

"Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area."

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Locks help remind honest people that they are honest. They also will slow down lazy thieves

TSA lock are cheap and the way to go these days. Yes, they tend to get lost by the TSA hacks, but TSA is mandated (at least they were 20 minutes ago when I checked) to put an inspection card inside any bag they open.

I am sure that all the porters at all the cruise ports are totally honest people. I lock my bags.

Doc

Since the OP said they were driving and not flying, my response is, I always lock my luggage for boarding the ship and when I put my bags out the night before disembarking. I never lock it when I am flying. And I never put anything of value in my checked bags. Even jewelry I make. It might not be worth hundreds of dollars, but it's valuable to me.

I always lock my luggage and I never put valuables in them. We just make a habit of locking it when we hand it off to porters at the cruise terminal.

Locks also come in handy at the hotel or in your room for bigger stuff that doesn't fit in safe.

So cameras and laptop go in luggage and then we lock up on port days. Anyone could come into your room, you never know, best safe than sorry.

JMO, Carole

For laptops, always use a Kensington lock. Wrap the cable around the bed or other large object.

It will be easy to spot the crook on the security cameras....he's the one walking around the ship with a bed.

Putting your laptop in your luggage does nothing. Use the Kensington lock....that's why they put the lock port on your latpop in the first place.

Archived