What are chances of upgrade from inside to verandah?

Winch

I would think it would depend on how well your particular cruise is selling. If you truly desire a verandah, suggest you spring for one.

We always book the category and cabin we desire ... as upgrades can be in the eyes of the beholder. An inside to a fully obstructed OV, perhaps. A low-end inside to a higher category inside. We all have our likes and dislikes.

If you book a guarantee, you must be willing to accept any cabin in that or any higher category.

When are where are you sailing? We were offered a paid upgrade from an inside guarantee to a VA balcony for $199 pp which we jumped at. others on our sailing said no and at the last minute were upgraded to the lowest type of balcony for free.

Cruise Junky.............Lucky you. We booked a "C" guarantee (first guarantee ever) and got exactly that. With 22 HAL sailings under our belt (mostly 14dayers), I would have thought they'd granted us an upgrade.

So to the OP expect nothing and hope for the best.

Cruise Junky.............Lucky you. We booked a "C" guarantee (first guarantee ever) and got exactly that. With 22 HAL sailings under our belt (mostly 14dayers), I would have thought they'd granted us an upgrade.

So to the OP expect nothing and hope for the best.

I think they were having a really hard time filling the ship. Insides were going for $299 Cdn for a 7 day Alaskan Cruise.:eek:

I think they were having a really hard time filling the ship. Insides were going for $299 Cdn for a 7 day Alaskan Cruise.:eek:

WOW what a steal.... you are so lucky to live in YVR and do not have to deal with flights for those itineraries. Of course if you want to do Canada/New England that's a different story.

In our case it appears that the ship is quite full, but the Roll Call seems like there is only a handful of passengers on board.

One time we were booked in a inside on the glory, and when the steward walked us to our room he said oh you have been changed to a different room, he then took us to the end of the hall and showed us a 6th floor, rear balcony wrap around room. We almost died...my dh said lock the door before they realize the made a mistake..........we are platinium on carnival, but i just believe it's in the stars if you get an upgrade. Sometime we get it and other time we don't so it's just a place to sleep, especially in europe when all the crusies are so port intensive, you don't care where you put your head at night so long as it's quiet...............

1% would be my guess. Something very very unusual would have to happen.
A free upgrade? I'd say slim to none. Picking up a decent price on a paid upgrade? Possible, if your cruise has lots of empty cabins still available.

Yes, there are exceptions and once in a while you do hear of someone going from an inside cabin to a luxury suite. But most of those situations are very special and done for special reasons ... a problem with the inside cabin that couldn't be resolved and an empty luxury suite being the only other available room on the ship.

But as a matter of course, usually an inside will get upgraded either to a better inside or an outside cabin. People in outside cabins will get upgraded to the very lowest categories of veranda stateroom, people in verandas might get upgraded to suites, etc.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kakalina, what were the circumstances of you upgrade from inside to suite? Was it free or an upsale?

A fortuitious ( for us ) combination of a seriously flooded cabin and a person in a suite who managed to break her leg. Full ship so when she debarked we got her cabin. Just in the right place at the right time. I always wished I could've sent her a get well / thank you card. :D

Has anyone ever been upgraded from inside to verandah?

As another poster suggested, if you'd really like a verandah, I'd go ahead and book one.

I'm one of those who likes to know exactly where I'll be living for 10 or 20 days...so peruse the deck plans and choose exactly the right stateroom!

But, if you're wishing for a verandah and don't care about the location, you can book a GTY.

My experience with guarantee cabins -

booked the lowest priced inside guarantee (probably in April) on the Westerdam sailing June, to Alaska. We didn't know our cabin assignment until the night before sailing. We were placed on 7th deck in a verandah, handicap accessible cabin, on an inside "corner". The balcony seemed a bit larger.

booked the lowest priced inside guarantee (in late January) on the Ryndam sailing March of this year to Mexico. Received an inside cabin - it was a few days before sailing that we got our assignment. It was on the 1st deck? I think.

I just booked a similar inside guarantee NN for Westerdam August sailing to Alaska. I'm happy to be able to make this trip, so I don't care where my cabin is. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love an upgrade!

Cherry

Going from an inside cabin to a verandah is not just one upgrade, but two. From an inside, an upgrade would be to an outside view cabin, and the second step or upgrade would be from the outside view cabin to an outside w/verandah. So chances are slim to none unless there are some very unusual circumstances. I would not hold my breath waiting for it to happen:)

Probability of going from an inside to a verandah or a suite is little to none. Won't say that it does not happen but they rarely do it. Only time I can remember was when we had a couple from New Your who "SAID" they were upgraded from an inside gurantee to a suite and he did nothing but brag about it the whole cruise. Got to the point where the Neptune Staff had to tell him to calm it down.

Those of us that pay the fares for a suite do't resent someone getting lucky but don't rub it in our nones. HAL does not make happy campers of its long time cruisers when they do that.....

Just one persons opinion....

Jim (without Ruth)

We had a HAL first-timer on our Eurodam cruise that booked an OV guarantee and skipped right past the Verandah class to an assigned SS! :eek: However, the ship was at about 60% capacity. It was just a 3-day cruise full of freeloading TAs when the ship first came to FLL.

Hmmmmm free loading TA's - no offence, but that's pretty strong. The TA's I know work hard for minimal commissions and when the cruiselines open sailings to TA's the TA's never get them for free - they may pay a reduced rate, but they do pay. The days of freebies for TA's went out in the '70's. Sounds like you've had a negative experience, but you can't color everyone with the same brush.

YaYa

Hmmmmm free loading TA's - no offence, but that's pretty strong. The TA's I know work hard for minimal commissions and when the cruiselines open sailings to TA's the TA's never get them for free - they may pay a reduced rate, but they do pay. The days of freebies for TA's went out in the '70's. Sounds like you've had a negative experience, but you can't color everyone with the same brush.

Ususally the TA's that get invited are not just any TA's, but ones that have booked a certain amount of revenue with that particular cruise line. They may get a free two or three day cruise ... but generally they have to cover their own expenses of getting to the ship. They also often have to cover their onboard expenses as well ... rarely will their agency cover them, and the cruise line probably won't. So, the cruise is far from free. They've earned that cruise as a sales incentive.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We used to book guarantees and NEVER received an upgrade no matter how little even within a category. If we booked a D we got a D. If we booked a G we got a G.

I'd rather book what I want and not worry about where we end up. It's not worth the uncertainty and hassle.

We have had in category upgrades,ie outside to better outside, verandah to better verandah. Some of the 'upgrades' have been pure marketing bumph, ie no appreciable difference from our perspective, while others on some lines, particularly Princess, have resulted in much larger balconys so that was good. But never from an outside or balcony to a suite of any sort.

Archived