If it's not really my birthday, can I get a cake and a song?

BluesCruise

Unless your birthday, anniversary or whatever is within 1 month of your cruise, what is the point in getting a free cake? Isn't there enough food on your cruise? If not, let us know the cruise line so we can avoid it.

Sometimes people go on a cruise to celebrate a special occasion. For a variety of reason, they may not cruise on the special day. If they want to celebrate on a different day during the cruise, I don't see any harm.

I celebrated my 50th birthday with 2 of my friends on the cruise...we all had birthdays in Sept. Only 1 fell on the cruise, the other two the week before and the week after.

Princess put balloons in the cabin and brought a chocolate cake with the Princess logo on it and Happy birthday. I also had two balloons tied to the door when we got back from lunch.

Enjoy your 50th! Celebrate it and enjoy.

"I don't turn 50 everyday, so if I decide to treat myself to a special cruise for that milestone, and I want to CELEBRATE that milestone with others...It's my party"

if its not your birthday we are paying for the cake you don't deserve and listening to a waiter sing happy bd to you while waiting for our dessert. pay the 10-25$? or book on your birthday.

I have to say that I hope I'm not a cruise celebrating an event if you are there. We are rarely able to truly celebrate on the actual day of a special event, much less time our trips exactly around them!

It used to be because of work (and school), now it's because of health problems. So excuse the heck out of me if we cruise 3 weeks after our anniversary, but call it an anniversary cruise anyway. As a matter of fact, my DH was so ill on my 50th last year that we weren't able to do anything that day. My big deal was ordering take out because I swore an oath never to cook dinner on my birthday, Mother's Day, or our Anniversary (after many years of doing precisely that--it occured to me that there was something wrong with cooking my own birthday dinner). We celebrated both our birthdays several weeks later.

Now I will say that we don't care for all the onboard fuss, so we don't ask for the dessert/cake and singing deal. It's not important to us and we'd prefer not to have it. However, it doesn't upset, offend, or bother me if others are celebrating on a day other than the exact date.

Give me a freaking break! How petty and small to get upset that someone is able to celebrate a special event and happens to be able to travel on a slightly different day. I mean, you do understand that some of us aren't able to plan our vacations to coincide exactly, don't you? And what is this big deal about "free" cake? If it's an actual birthday, then fine; if it's 2 days later, no "free" cake for you? Really petty, IMO.

beachchick

We will go on our 17th (?) cruise in October... What I recall being asked is NOT "are you having a birthday (anniversary, etc.) while on board?", but "will you be CELEBRATING A SPECIAL OCCASION...?"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY and Welcome to AARP!!

Karen

And a great big order of lemons for you...lol

On our recent Ruby Princess cruise to celebrate DH 60th birthday, my son arranged for DH to have an individual birthday cake at dinner every night, and they sang Happy Birthday to him every night, even in Sabatinis:D

Personally, I think it's kinda odd to celebrate something when it's not the right time or not that really close to it.

I wonder if they verify your birthday the way some restaurants do when they give you the free meal on your birthday.

My solution: pay for a cake and ask them to sing Happy Birthday to you if that's what you want.

I thought desserts would be free on a cruise like the rest of the food.

I thought desserts would be free on a cruise like the rest of the food.

Desserts, yes; full birthday cake, not so much. Some cruise lines will still provide a complementary full cake with candles, sometimes in the dining room and sometimes in the stateroom, but more and more will not. It's partly because there are already so many desserts and partly because so many passengers would lie about celebrating a birthday or anniversary while onboard just so that they could get the "free" cake and be "fussed over" by the servers. Mind you, I'm not talking about a birthday being on April 10th, but cruising to celebrate it on May 1st; I'm talking about groups claiming various and specific dates ("It's my birthday today") so that every day someone at the table would receive a cake, even though they weren't even cruising to celebrate whatever the claimed special day was. Perhaps they thought that there simply wasn't enough food already available....:rolleyes: It got kind of annoying and silly for the servers to be running around with cakes and to sing to 200 people every night. And it was even sillier to see large groups who rotated the "It's my day" around the table.

Anyway, special event cakes are typically not included anymore on most mass market cruise lines. Sometimes members will report that they told their TA or cruise line agent that they were celebrating a special event, and that they would find a bottle of bubbly and/or a cake and/or some other goody in their cabin or at the dining table. Almost always that is because the TA has paid for it out of pocket or the cruise planner has used the perogative to arrange for small special items for particularly special events or particularly nice people or someone in a particularly expensive suite or someone who is in a high level of the cruise line's repeat passenger program. A few cruise lines will provide such things complementary, but that's becoming the exception, and we certainly wouldn't let it influence our cruise or vacation decisions.

BluesCruise: The "free" birthday cake is likely to be a piece of cake or special dessert with a candle in it. That seems to be the norm these days. If you do want a full cake, you will likely need to order the "birthday" package that the cruise line offers for purchase.

beachchick

Desserts, yes; full birthday cake, not so much. Some cruise lines will still provide a complementary full cake with candles, sometimes in the dining room and sometimes in the stateroom, but more and more will not.

beachchick

Oh, I didn't realize they were wanting a whole cake :>)

On threat of a painful death, my family knows not to do the birthday cake thing at a restaurant for me. I hate being the center of attention in a group of people. But a lot of people are more outgoing than I am.

On threat of a painful death, my family knows not to do the birthday cake thing at a restaurant for me. I hate being the center of attention in a group of people. But a lot of people are more outgoing than I am.

My husband is the same in that he does not like a lot of fuss made and, by the third or fourth individual birthday cake, he was getting a bit miffed with DS who thought it was a huge joke. DH thought he would 'escape the cake' when we went to Sabatinis for our celebratory meal for his birthday and our Ruby Wedding but, no, out they came with another one - this time it was the full size cake:eek: It went back to the cabin with us and we all shared it the next day on the balcony.

BluesCruise: The "free" birthday cake is likely to be a piece of cake or special dessert with a candle in it. That seems to be the norm these days. If you do want a full cake, you will likely need to order the "birthday" package that the cruise line offers for purchase.

I never said I wanted a full birthday cake. I've never even seen that on a cruise. I don't mind paying for a cake, I just never knew that was an option. On Celebrity, you get a hunk of chocolate cake, enough for everyone at the table to have a small piece. Though I love chocolate cake, bringing my dessert (from the menu) with a candle in it would be fine. I just want to celebrate my birthday, the reason for this particular cruise, with other people. I will be cruising solo, so sitting in my cabin singing "happy birthday to me" just wouldn't cut it.

Responses have gotten far afield from my original question. I didn't ask if I SHOULD celebrate on a date that isn't my actual birthday, because personally, I think that is fine. I only asked if I COULD, meaning would they check my birthday on file and say: "NO, we won't sing to you because you're not cruising on your actual birthday".

I have found the responses very interesting. I didn't realize how many people would want to rain on my parade, or think I just want free cake, or don't get the concept of celebrating, or bristle at the sound of singing waiters. I thought cruisers were more fun than that. Of course, I got many positive responses as well. That's the spirit!

As with most things in life, I'll keep what I like and leave the rest alone.

I never said I wanted a full birthday cake. I've never even seen that on a cruise. I don't mind paying for a cake, I just never knew that was an option. On Celebrity, you get a hunk of chocolate cake, enough for everyone at the table to have a small piece. Though I love chocolate cake, bringing my dessert (from the menu) with a candle in it would be fine. I just want to celebrate my birthday, the reason for this particular cruise, with other people. I will be cruising solo, so sitting in my cabin singing "happy birthday to me" just wouldn't cut it.

Responses have gotten far afield from my original question. I didn't ask if I SHOULD celebrate on a date that isn't my actual birthday, because personally, I think that is fine. I only asked if I COULD, meaning would they check my birthday on file and say: "NO, we won't sing to you because you're not cruising on your actual birthday".

I have found the responses very interesting. I didn't realize how many people would want to rain on my parade, or think I just want free cake, or don't get the concept of celebrating, or bristle at the sound of singing waiters. I thought cruisers were more fun than that. Of course, I got many positive responses as well. That's the spirit!

If you were on my cruise, sailing and celebrating solo, I'd be extremely happy to sing along with the "Happy Birthday" chorus and celebrate with you!

Go for it and have a wonderful birthday.

I have found the responses very interesting. I didn't realize how many people would want to rain on my parade, or think I just want free cake, or don't get the concept of celebrating, or bristle at the sound of singing waiters.

It's all those nay-sayers that need to take that pickle outta their a*s and enjoy life a little! Live life to the fullest and enjoy...celebrate every minute because it can be taken away from us in a heartbeat.

BluesCruise...wishing you many more reasons to celebrate!!!:)

It's all those nay-sayers that need to take that pickle outta their a*s and enjoy life a little! Live life to the fullest and enjoy...celebrate every minute because it can be taken away from us in a heartbeat.

BluesCruise...wishing you many more reasons to celebrate!!!:)

Well said - enjoy yourself in any way you want to - life has no rehearsal:)

I didn't know if BluesCruise did or didn't want a whole cake; I was just stating what we knew and have experienced.

My husband is the same in that he does not like a lot of fuss made and, by the third or fourth individual birthday cake, he was getting a bit miffed with DS who thought it was a huge joke. DH thought he would 'escape the cake' when we went to Sabatinis for our celebratory meal for his birthday and our Ruby Wedding but, no, out they came with another one - this time it was the full size cake:eek: It went back to the cabin with us and we all shared it the next day on the balcony.

Oh gosh, my DH would have been the same way. I hope that your DH and DS were able to quickly get past their differences--and I hope your DS understands that it would be best not to make that kind of "joke" in the future. And congratulations on your Ruby Wedding. That's something to be proud and pleased about.

Wow...I don't quite know what to say. I didn't know whether you wanted to have a full cake or just a special dessert with candles to go along with the singing, which is why I wrote what I did. My comments were not judgmental in any way, just statements of fact/experience. I wanted to explain what the options usually are and why the cruise lines have taken the approach they have.

It truly used to get silly sometimes and, frankly, tended to diminish the experience for those actually celebrating something special. Imagine if you were the 70th passenger that the serving staff were singing to during that dinner seating that night. They did sometimes get tired (even though they try never to show it) and rushed. Your birthday is special and should be treated as such, regardless of whether you cruise on the exact day.

Some of the other members have been mean-spirited, so I'm going to hope that your anger with them is why you responded to me the way you did. In case you hadn't read my previous post, I believe that special days need not be celebrated exactly on the day. Neither do the cruise lines. I'm completely "on your side" (as it were) about celebrating your birthday while on your cruise, and I am certain you will be able to arrange for a birthday treat (depending on which cruise line, this will vary) and singing.

I guess I should have simply answered with this: Yes, the cruise line servers will be happy to bring you a birthday treat and sing to you, regardless of whether your cruise falls exactly on your birthday. (In the future, I'll know that you want "just the facts" and no opinions, additional information, or personal experience. I can't guarantee others will do the same because members are free to express opinions and give additional information or relate their own stories, as long as they stay basically on the original topic and follow the forum rules.)

I hope you have a delightful cruise and a fun birthday celebration.

beachchick

Hi ...

I've read this thread in one sitting and found it funny at points, sad at others but very eye opening.

When we cruise in August we will "officially" be within the 1 month grace of 3 celebrations, our wedding anniversary in July, our daughters 10th birthday in August and my hubbys 50th in September.

Will we be celebrating publicly?

I doubt it, privately most definately!

But thats just us we are probably quite reserved in some peoples opinion.

Will I be offended at someone else having a public celebration?

most definately not, that is their choice as it should be.

We are all so massively different, thats a good thing, right!?!

Live and let live, each to his own.

To all with celebrations looming, enjoy, in the way that makes YOU happiest :)

I didn't know if BluesCruise did or didn't want a whole cake; I was just stating what we knew and have experienced.

Oh gosh, my DH would have been the same way. I hope that your DH and DS were able to quickly get past their differences--and I hope your DS understands that it would be best not to make that kind of "joke" in the future. And congratulations on your Ruby Wedding. That's something to be proud and pleased about.

Wow...I don't quite know what to say. I didn't know whether you wanted to have a full cake or just a special dessert with candles to go along with the singing, which is why I wrote what I did. My comments were not judgmental in any way, just statements of fact/experience. I wanted to explain what the options usually are and why the cruise lines have taken the approach they have.

It truly used to get silly sometimes and, frankly, tended to diminish the experience for those actually celebrating something special. Imagine if you were the 70th passenger that the serving staff were singing to during that dinner seating that night. They did sometimes get tired (even though they try never to show it) and rushed. Your birthday is special and should be treated as such, regardless of whether you cruise on the exact day.

Some of the other members have been mean-spirited, so I'm going to hope that your anger with them is why you responded to me the way you did. In case you hadn't read my previous post, I believe that special days need not be celebrated exactly on the day. Neither do the cruise lines. I'm completely "on your side" (as it were) about celebrating your birthday while on your cruise, and I am certain you will be able to arrange for a birthday treat (depending on which cruise line, this will vary) and singing.

I guess I should have simply answered with this: Yes, the cruise line servers will be happy to bring you a birthday treat and sing to you, regardless of whether your cruise falls exactly on your birthday. (In the future, I'll know that you want "just the facts" and no opinions, additional information, or personal experience. I can't guarantee others will do the same because members are free to express opinions and give additional information or relate their own stories, as long as they stay basically on the original topic and follow the forum rules.)

I hope you have a delightful cruise and a fun birthday celebration.

beachchick

You're joking - there were no real differences - it was hilarious. Even though DH pulled a face on the last few cake deliveries, he took it in good part - he even got used to the door decorations by the end of our cruise and agreed to wear the comedy birthday cake hat at dinner on the first night of the cruise.

We had the best cruise ever celebrating with our children and partners and grandchildren and our close relatives from Canada and being on Ruby Princess made it extra special.

Beachchick, forgive me if it seemed like I lashed out at you. I was responding to all the negativity in general. I just wanted to clear up the cake issue, and your quote was appropriate to that topic. That was poor editing on my part. I realize you were "on my side", so please don't take it personally. Thanks for your support. :)

our favorite table partners in 9 cruises was a couple who were 91 and 90 and both still sharp as tacks.. she saw the cakes w/ sparklers being taken to tables the first nite out and opined that we needed one of those at OUR table. My buddy and I told her that we would have them two nites running at the end of the week as we were both turning 55 on that trip (our bdays are a day apart). She said that she wasn't sure she wanted to wait that long (maybe at 90 you can't plan on getting up in the morning *L*) so at any rate, buddy and I hung around after dinner as the older folks left and we told the waiter that it was Joe and Vi's anniversary the following nite and asked if they could arrange to have a cake for us.

Sure enough, next nite as dessert time came, here came about 8 of the waiters and assts w/ a cake and sang Happy Anniversary for Joe and Vi. They played right along and thanked the crew for their attentiveness and Vi gave buddy and me a wink.

So go for it. you won't be the first OR the last.....

You're joking - there were no real differences - it was hilarious. Even though DH pulled a face on the last few cake deliveries, he took it in good part - he even got used to the door decorations by the end of our cruise and agreed to wear the comedy birthday cake hat at dinner on the first night of the cruise.

We had the best cruise ever celebrating with our children and partners and grandchildren and our close relatives from Canada and being on Ruby Princess made it extra special.

Well...sort of. I was hoping that it hadn't created a rift of any kind. But from your description, I couldn't tell whether it was a serious issue or just a passing "miff":

"by the third or fourth individual birthday cake, he was getting a bit miffed with DS who thought it was a huge joke."

I'm glad your DH felt comfortable enough later in the cruise to get into the spirit of what your DS intended: For everyone to have a great celebration.

Beachchick, forgive me if it seemed like I lashed out at you. I was responding to all the negativity in general. I just wanted to clear up the cake issue, and your quote was appropriate to that topic. That was poor editing on my part. I realize you were "on my side", so please don't take it personally. Thanks for your support. :)

All is well. I figured that you had gotten fed up with some of the rather mean responses. I do not understand why some people have to try to bring others "down" with petty attitudes or try to rain on another person's enjoyment. I'm sure you'll have plenty of help onboard to celebrate your most special birthday.:D (Surprisingly, being 50 feels a whole lot like being 49!);)

beachchick

A psychiatrist would have a field day with this question and the responses.

No kidding:eek:(lol).

And here all these years I really thought every night in the dinning room all those people really had their birthday or anniversary that night (usualy a dozen announcements every night). After reading this thread I now know the majority of these people really aren't telling the truth:(. Oh well, just goes to show me once again how naive I am:rolleyes:

John

I just want to celebrate my birthday, the reason for this particular cruise, with other people. I will be cruising solo, so sitting in my cabin singing "happy birthday to me" just wouldn't cut it.

I didn't think your request had *anything* to do with cake (free or otherwise) but rather it was a desire for attention to be paid to you. It just sounded a little needy (IMO) to me.

Archived