If it's not really my birthday, can I get a cake and a song?

BluesCruise

I have a sister in law that celebrates her "birthday week" every year. Gosh, I always thought it was a day:p

Go ahead and celebrate however you want. You're right, you only turn 50 once. Of course, you only turned 49 once, 48 once, 47 once etc.... Hopefully you will also become 51 once :)

I never tell anyone it's my birthday and if a server finds out, I politely ask them not to sing to me as I don't care for it. They always thank me ;)

But I do understand how some people love their own celebration and want to share with everyone.

"

if its not your birthday we are paying for the cake you don't deserve and listening to a waiter sing happy bd to you while waiting for our dessert. pay the 10-25$? or book on your birthday.

Which begs the question.... If it IS your birthday, who is paying for the cake then? Hmmmm

There are always people who want to pee on your birthday candles. Do what makes you happy and to heck with 'em. If I was there, I'd sing Happy Birthday to you too.

My mom and I are going on a cruise starting September 4. Her birthday is August 5 and mine September 26. Since this is close to the middle, I think we'll celebrate both birthdays one night, my surprise.

I do deserve a cake, because it's the day I have chosen to celebrate my birthday. It's not like I cruise several times a year and celebrate my birthday on every cruise. I don't see why it matters TO YOU, since you don't know if it's my actual birthday or not. You can just sit and be grumpy and listen to one more song. Sheesh.

Heck, now that I know it will irritate the crankypants crowd, I'll definitely do it.

Hey, "Birthday Girl".....you do whatever you feel comfortable with! It's your cruise, and you should make it fun for you no matter what those a**holes think about it.

"I don't turn 50 everyday, so if I decide to treat myself to a special cruise for that milestone, and I want to CELEBRATE that milestone with others...It's my party"

if its not your birthday we are paying for the cake you don't deserve and listening to a waiter sing happy bd to you while waiting for our dessert. pay the 10-25$? or book on your birthday.

Raspberries! You get a slice of cake with a candle. They don't make a seven-tiered extravagant cake with fondant, roses and sparklers. (I'm speaking of RCCL here)

Actually, our waiter WANTED to celebrate a birthday/anniversary at our table. We obliged and celebrated an early November birthday on June 4th.

My birthday fell during our Alaska cruise. The waiter asked when we would like the birthday cake served. It was easy enough to request having it served when everyone else was served. We are celebrating 38 years of marriage on our next cruise. Our anniversary date will have come and gone by then but the cruise is our anniversary present to each other. Bring on the cake!

Personally, I think it's kinda odd to celebrate something when it's not the right time or not that really close to it.

I wonder if they verify your birthday the way some restaurants do when they give you the free meal on your birthday.

My solution: pay for a cake and ask them to sing Happy Birthday to you if that's what you want.

Many times people are not able to cruise on a special occasion (big birthday or anniversary). Other times the cruise you want to take to celebrate the event is not offerred on the special date. While we were working, we had to cruise during the summer. Often the cruise we picked did not include our anniversary (July 19), so we picked a day during the cruise to celebrate. This summer we sail on July 25, so I guess we will have to pick a day.

I think the idea to think about is what is the reason for the celebration? If the cruise is a birthday celebration, even if before or after the exact date, then let the good times roll. If all you want is a 'free' piece of birthday cake, frankly the other desserts are better anyway!

Five years ago DH and I celebrated our 25th anniversary with an Alaska cruise. Our actual anniversary is in December, so sailing on the date was impossible. And Alaska was, and remains, the only cruise destination he's interested in. When we arrived and were taken to our cabin, there was a balloon display on the door, and a fruit basket inside, "anniversary" gifts from a very good friend. Our room steward must have shared the info with the dining room and celebrate we did!

Personally, I think it's kinda odd to celebrate something when it's not the right time or not that really close to it.

I guess those Monday holidays make you nuts, too.

In my family, we have never been sticklers for the exact date. We celebrate birthdays within a week or 2, or even a month, of the actual date, depending on when our busy schedules allow us to get together. We celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day on the Friday or Saturday night before, to avoid the crazy crowds at the restaurants. This past weekend, we traveled so that the whole family was together for Father's Day, and we celebrated on Saturday night (June 20th). We also celebrated my BIL's birthday (June 3rd), and my sister and BIL's anniversary (June 26th), at that same dinner. It's not the date that matters to us, it's the occasion, and when we choose to celebrate it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Live and let live.

You do you, and I'll do me.

To each his/her own.

...you get the idea.

We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary next year....we are sailing during March break but our anniversary is in May...we are celebrating on the ship because 1--we want to, 2--we can't go on a cruise on our actual anniversary date due to work....if anyone has a problem with it, I guess it's their problem and they can talk to the big guy on their way out the door....lol

I think the idea to think about is what is the reason for the celebration? If the cruise is a birthday celebration, even if before or after the exact date, then let the good times roll. If all you want is a 'free' piece of birthday cake, frankly the other desserts are better anyway!

It really isn't about the cake, it's about the celebration. Now, that being said, I am a chocoholic, and the birthday cake on Celebrity is yummy.

It really isn't about the cake, it's about the celebration. Now, that being said, I am a chocoholic, and the birthday cake on Celebrity is yummy.

Of course it's not about the cake - I was being just a teeny bit facetious.

I get the idea, but I still think it's odd.

I guess those Monday holidays make you nuts, too.

In my family, we have never been sticklers for the exact date. We celebrate birthdays within a week or 2, or even a month, of the actual date, depending on when our busy schedules allow us to get together. We celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day on the Friday or Saturday night before, to avoid the crazy crowds at the restaurants. This past weekend, we traveled so that the whole family was together for Father's Day, and we celebrated on Saturday night (June 20th). We also celebrated my BIL's birthday (June 3rd), and my sister and BIL's anniversary (June 26th), at that same dinner. It's not the date that matters to us, it's the occasion, and when we choose to celebrate it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Live and let live.

You do you, and I'll do me.

To each his/her own.

...you get the idea.

..... pick a date and tell your waiter that that is your birthday. They are not going to quibble over a cake.

While they won't quibble your travel documents does have your birth date on them. When I booked a cruise for Feb 2010 the PVP told me that she noticed my birthday was 2 weeks "after" the cruise ended. She then said that she would put a note in my folder telling the ship that we were celebrating it early.

To the OP - Just let the head waiter know that you are celebrating your birthday early by taking a cruise. He / she will take it from there.

We always book a Sept cruise. For us it's a celebration of both of our birthdays and our anniversary which all fall within a 6 week time frame. We don't give each other gifts just the cruise. A couple of cruises we took in May we didn't celebrate with cakes but it was still our birthday/anniversary crusie.

Eileen

My TA always asks if there is a birthday or anniversary date that we're celebrating when we book a cruise. We always tell her no. I hate the attention of the singing waiters/birthday (or anniversary) cake thing, and would be crawling under the table if anyone did such a thing for us. We did celebrate our 41st anniversary on our last cruise...quietly, personally, with an order of champagne. When our waiter found out, he quietly brought us an "anniversary dessert"...without the song, without the fanfare. It was very pleasant. The actual date of our anniversary didn't occur during our cruise, for the reasons others mentioned -- just couldn't get away on the actual date -- but it didn't matter.

I've always loved the quote: "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first!"

That's exactly what I was thinking reading through this thread! I say that if the OP wants to celebrate, let him or her have a cake. And he or she can have mine as well, since I hate that whole singing circle thing. :)

Your travel agent should ask if you are celebrating any special occassions. Just say you are and the cruise line will most likely say the will celebrate it on the first formal night. My husband has a birthday and we will be cruising a few days after his birthday but I told her that we are celebrating his birthday and she told celebrity and they said fine we will do it first formal night. Works great for me. It's your party and if you want a cake - you do it.

We celebrate a birthday every cruise, have been doing so for years. No matter when we cruise. And my husband insisted on a real cake, not some cupcake size cake some cruiselines give to someone celebrating a birthday. Go for it!!! :)

I do deserve a cake, because it's the day I have chosen to celebrate my birthday. It's not like I cruise several times a year and celebrate my birthday on every cruise. I don't see why it matters TO YOU, since you don't know if it's my actual birthday or not. You can just sit and be grumpy and listen to one more song. Sheesh.

Heck, now that I know it will irritate the crankypants crowd, I'll definitely do it.

LOL...I would too!! Celebrate this special milestone in your life any which way you want...and most importantly enjoy!! Wishing you a grand cruise and a very very Happy Birthday!

Unless your birthday, anniversary or whatever is within 1 month of your cruise, what is the point in getting a free cake? Isn't there enough food on your cruise? If not, let us know the cruise line so we can avoid it.

Archived