If it's not really my birthday, can I get a cake and a song?

BluesCruise

I didn't think your request had *anything* to do with cake (free or otherwise) but rather it was a desire for attention to be paid to you. It just sounded a little needy (IMO) to me.

When I turn 50....I would want cake, singing....and maybe fireworks!!!! She isn't needy....just looking for a party! I don't blame her for wanting to celebrate the milestone! Go for it!

Last year I was aboard Costa Allegra for my birthday. My TA arranged for a cake and champagne for me as a surprise for the evening meal on the day. The cake was gorgeous...about 14" diameter, fresh cream, fresh fruit - strawberries, blueberries & raspberries all over the top, with my name etc iced on the top...I cruise solo but shared it with my tablemates. The rest of the cake went back to the cabin with me and took around 4 days to eat...it was seriously yummy :)

My cruise next year starts on April 3rd (although I am flying out to Allegra in Singapore on the 1st) and ends in Rome on May 10th...a shade under a month before my birthday. I am toying up with the idea of paying the 25 quid or so to arrange my own cake, albeit a month ahead of my birthday, cos I just enjoyed the moment last year so much and since I not only cruise alone but live alone too, it was nice to have a little bit of fun on an otherwise quiet and 'normal' day for me.

:o

(Edited to add photo of the partially eaten, but still recogniseable cake from Allegra last year)

cake.jpg.c588ee2fcaa26c7f6b0d00b1af3d84ea.jpg

Of course you can get a cake even if it isn't actually your birthday. Maybe the cruise is your year's birthday gift to yourself, so go ahead and celebrate. Last year, I turned 50 in December, my husband turned 60 in October and my Mom turned 70 in April. We decide to take a Big O cruise together that year to celebrate. We circumnavigated South America for 60 days in Jan/Feb. No where near our actual b-days! We didn't ask for a cake or anything, but we boarded wearing T-shirts I had made to mark our Big O circumnavigation/birthday celebration. We also had door magnets with the same design. So, pretty much anyone who paid any attention to us knew what we were celebrating. Near the end of the cruise, we got an amazing, sinfully chocolate cake delivered to our table in the dining room. It was great and I don't think anyone thought we were cheating the system! If you live long enough, I reckon you don't have to wait for your actual birthdate to celebrate or have cake! Debbie

836897a7.jpg

if its not your birthday we are paying for the cake you don't deserve and listening to a waiter sing happy bd to you while waiting for our dessert. pay the 10-25$? or book on your birthday.

Well, let's look at this....there will be roughly 1,000 people on that cruise. Divide the $10-$25 for the cake by 1,000...I'll let you do the math. I'll pay your share.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I didn't think your request had *anything* to do with cake (free or otherwise) but rather it was a desire for attention to be paid to you. It just sounded a little needy (IMO) to me.

As someone who happily lives alone and travels alone, I'm the LEAST needy person I know. I was so painfully shy growing up that I hated to have attention paid to me. I still hate to do anything that involves getting up in front of people. I won't even do karaoke. I never liked the singing in restaurants, either. But, somewhere around the age of 40, I got over myself about the birthday singing. I no longer find it embarrassing, because, although everyone is paying attention to me, they are usually all smiling and happy, so everybody wins.

It's not about cake OR attention. It's about celebrating a happy occasion with others and, clearly, you're another person that just doesn't get it. You'd rather "diagnose" me as needy. Whatever!

Edited to add: The fact that you felt the need to POST that you think I'm needy makes me want to "diagnose" you.

Tell them its your birthday! Sheesh, people. My kids have celebrated a birthday on every single cruise we've taken no matter what time of the year. One cruise my DD told them it was her birthday. They asked, what day? She said, the next sea day. They said, what day is that? She said, I dunno. The next sea day. That rum cake was amazing!

My 4 YO GS had his actual birthday on our Australian cruise but because it was the first night I wasn't sure they could arrange it so I paid for one to be there. THAT turned out to be a disaster since they didn't have it made. Then he didn't come to dinner the next night. I swear, they brought me 5 cakes to make up for missing his actual birthday. It was too funny.

Ummm, wasting a cake? I can't even imagine how much food is wasted on a cruise. Join us, we'll sing loud and clap and everything for your, or anyone else's birthday.

My mom has a rule for decisions : is it illegal or immoral ? And just beeing alive that day,on a cruise ship is a good enough reason to want to celebrate beeing born to enjoy it ! Happy birthday ! ( and do get a picture of you blowing the candles!)

Nice to know it may not have to fall exactly on one's birthday. Our next cruise planned will be about a week after my son's birthday. It will be a nice surprise for him to have the waiters sing him happy birthday.

As someone who happily lives alone and travels alone, I'm the LEAST needy person I know. I was so painfully shy growing up that I hated to have attention paid to me. I still hate to do anything that involves getting up in front of people. I won't even do karaoke. I never liked the singing in restaurants, either. But, somewhere around the age of 40, I got over myself about the birthday singing. I no longer find it embarrassing, because, although everyone is paying attention to me, they are usually all smiling and happy, so everybody wins.

It's not about cake OR attention. It's about celebrating a happy occasion with others and, clearly, you're another person that just doesn't get it. You'd rather "diagnose" me as needy. Whatever!

Edited to add: The fact that you felt the need to POST that you think I'm needy makes me want to "diagnose" you.

LOL...:p Right, wanting to celebrate a special birthday makes someone "needy." Um...Guess 99% of us are needy then--so, join the crowd and "need" away on your cruise!:D

Nice to know it may not have to fall exactly on one's birthday. Our next cruise planned will be about a week after my son's birthday. It will be a nice surprise for him to have the waiters sing him happy birthday.

No worries, they will be happy to do it for you/him. Just be sure to talk to the head waiter or your own waiter a day or two before you'd like to have your son's birthday celebrated. At a minimum, they'll bring out a special dessert (possibly piece of cake) with candles and do the singing; depending on which cruise line, it may be a small cake for the whole table to share, but it will still have the candles and the crew will sing. Enjoy.

beachchick

Archived