Celebrity lovers try Princess...again!/Star Princess 6/14-21 review w/ pics!

Infi

I heard about this from my daughter, who was out on the deck (our balcony was on the starboard side, so we missed it). She thought you were very loud and we were quiet - how funny! She said it was a really neat moment and was sad she didn't get all the cheering on video. If you have it online, would you mind sharing it? I'd love to see it.

Sure, I'll upload it to YouTube today. I think that you were so loud that you thought it was us :p

One last shot of the aft pool, because I liked the sailboat in the background and because it's so rare to see an empty pool!

This has been a great review and discussion. Thanks for doing all of this.

My family and I are sailing in 3weeks on the Star. The kids are hoping that we can at least use the indoor pool?

Did you see anyone giving that one a shot? Do you know if it was heated?

How was your weather overall? Seems a little cool and cloudy in most of your photos.

Hey we use to live in Ft.Lauderdale and Weston and Wellington and Coral springs!!!

Thanks again! I can't wait to try some of that sushi too!!!

Larry

Yum those pancakes look good and fresh YUM

Morning two onboard Star Princess. For those wondering about Alaska weather, while it’s pretty unpredictable in the ports, the ship is a great constant weather-wise. It’s never too warm or too cold indoors, just comfortable. Most folks wore jeans and shirts, either short or long sleeved. My aunt and uncle were worried about daywear, but Alaska is very casual in the daytime. Layer and dress for comfort (and the weather!)

We’re not big buffet fans, so we eat almost all of our meals in the dining room. Wow, was it crowded! Almost every table was taken. Usually the DR isn’t crowded at all, but it often was on this cruise. Breakfast is open everyday from 7 until 9:30am. Every morning there are two different breakfast specials, and they're usually good - definitely worth a try.

Maine blueberry pancakes, the morning’s special – very blueberry, according to DD:

DSC02091.jpg

This morning had plenty of activities: a church service (there wasn’t one on Sunday), trivia, line dance class, MUTS (Hotel for Dogs and Hancock), and most importantly – the port and shopping talk. We went to this and I wasn’t too happy with it. The shopping lecturer, Tana, was heavily pushing jewelry and barely even mentioned the more “native” Alaskan items, which is what most folks would probably be interested in. I like jewelry shopping as much as the next person, but IMHO, Alaska is not the place to buy it. Yes, the chain stores are everywhere, but at least the Caribbean is duty free! She also tried to sell the Princess coupon book, which IMHO (again) is a ripoff. I think it was about $20, and it had a lot of vouchers for “free” jewelry pieces, like small pendants and little chip earrings. Like I mentioned before, the Alaska coupon book handed out in the terminal is far superior for actual souvenirs and can save you some money. Disclaimer: Despite my multiple endorsements of the Alaska coupon book, I do not work for them, I swear! I just love a good coupon.

There was a sushi buffet at 11:30 outside the Horizon Court, in the Calypso (enclosed) pool area. There was a different buffet here daily, which I thought was a nice touch that I hadn’t seen before on Princess.

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02097.jpg

DSC02098.jpg

DD, who is the lone sushi fan among us, reported it was a tasty snack.

DSC02099.jpg

Now, for a late lunch in the DR.

Appetizer: turkey breast on greens, with honey mustard.

DSC02107.jpg

I just realized that all of the photos in this section were of food! In the next section, I’ll post some pictures of the ship interiors.

very well said, i usually dont post back on those negative comments but i have to say i was really looking forward to celebrity for something different and was not at all impressed with the food...but they really have a following and that's their choice...now i know to stick with princess because that's what i prefer...i'm not sure why someone would book a trip when they already anticipate it will be bad?

Why is everyone else allowed to complain ???

I have said many positive things also concerning Princess so get over it! The corn did not look good to us LOL

I am sure our cruise will be great, and have commented as such on some post concerning the CB and Princess. We have met people on all our cruises that come to Visit at our summer cottage in Muskoka every year, and our past friends we met from Spain, England and USA, join us on sailing's very March ....So to be so personally rude to me over our opinion on a food picture or a ship is concerning to us really....

many people write things on here with there comments, negative and positive and we will do the same. But I do not make personal attacks....and truly like and enjoy meeting people, and we never complain on a cruise about anything other then some passengers except our one cruise on NCL star that was so bad, but we never talk about it.

I thank everyone for any info before we sail Thanks

This has been a great review and discussion. Thanks for doing all of this.

My family and I are sailing in 3weeks on the Star. The kids are hoping that we can at least use the indoor pool?

Did you see anyone giving that one a shot? Do you know if it was heated?

How was your weather overall? Seems a little cool and cloudy in most of your photos.

Hey we use to live in Ft.Lauderdale and Weston and Wellington and Coral springs!!!

Thanks again! I can't wait to try some of that sushi too!!!

Larry

I live in Weston (as you once did) and appreciate warm pool water also. We sailed on the Star in Antarctica and had no problem using the indoor pool and the two Jacuzzi's located adjacent to the pool. All the pools are heated.

Enjoy!!!

Next up, the Calypso pool area. This is midship on Lido deck, closest to the Horizon Court. It is enclosed by a 2-story magrodome (“The Conservatory”). All of the traditional pool activities (ice carving, golf chipping, etc.) occurred here. The upper level of the Conservatory has lots of chaise lounges, two ping pong tables, and is where the Ceramics@Sea is located. Cookies and milk are served on a cart around 4 or so each afternoon - don't miss them! Overall, this is a very pretty area and a relaxing place to spend an afternoon.

The pool is large, freshwater, and heated. DD said the temperature was pleasantly warm, perfect for swimming. It can be chilly when you get out, as there’s no door or separation between this pool and the outdoor pool. Surprisingly, we found that this pool was not crowded during this cruise, nor were there any real chair hogs.

DSC05201.jpg

There are two hot tubs as well, and lots of tables and comfy chaises.

DSC05203.jpg

Pool bar:

DSC05202.jpg

Now, if I may, one of my pet peeves about Princess: there are no pool towels readily available at the pool. You have to bring them from your cabin. If you do ask one of the deck stewards, they act like it’s the strangest request in the world and sometimes have trouble finding a clean towel. It would be so much easier just to have a basket of towels available at the pool. I did note this on my comment card, so we’ll see.

Moving forward, the Neptune pool. This is the outdoor pool with the MUTS screen. Plenty of open seating - another rare cruise sight!

DSC05118.jpg

DSC05127.jpg

There are also two hot tubs here.

DSC05117.jpg

In between this pool and the Calypso pool is Scoops, the formerly pay ice cream parlor. All of the menus were taken down, and now this area serves soft serve in cones or cups. This was very popular with the younger set. Sorry, I don’t have a picture, but if you’re looking for it, you can’t miss the giant ice cream cone!

Here’s the MUTS screen

DSC05200.jpg

Yup, it’s a big screen!

DSC04556.jpg

Before I forget, there’s also a grill, pizzeria, and bar adjacent to the Neptune pool. The pizzeria and grill have daily specials.

Grill

DSC04554.jpg

Bar

DSC04555.jpg

Pizzeria:

DSC04559.jpg

Since you guys like the food photos so much…

DSC04560.jpg

If there’s any golf aficionados out there, here’s the Princess links course. It’s up a flight of stairs, sandwiched between the two pools.

DSC05120.jpg

DSC05122.jpg

Continue moving forward on the Lido (it’s a busy deck), there’s the Lotus spa pool and the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary sells either weeklong or half day passes, but I’m not sure of the pricing on those. You could also buy a half day pass for the Sanctuary on Tracy Arm day for $10, first come first serve. There’s two more hot tubs here by the Lotus pool. This pool area was a bit more popular with the adults.

DSC05190.jpg

Zoom in of the Sanctuary

DSC05195.jpg

Love those flag shots.

DSC05188.jpg

You're right about the Skywalker's overhang over that aft pool -- it doesn't ever really get full sun, which is a shame, because that's really a gorgeous setting for a pool, where you have a primo view of the wake and out over the ocean.

Oh, and thanks for your kind words above.

Kimchee, thanks for posting the link -- loved the YouTube video!

Our waitstaff was Agnieszka (Poland) and Manuel (Portugal), her assistant. Both were excellent, very efficient and great servers. Agnieszka js a real gem, however. She always made us laugh, managed to ask us about our day, and get to know us in the limited time they have to serve three large tables. Most importantly, she always told us “don’t be shy!” if we didn’t like something or we wanted double entrees etc. She was so cute, the phrase quickly became our table’s catchphrase for the rest of the cruise. If you have her as your server, you are in for a real treat.

We LOVE Angieszka! She was our junior waiter for three weeks on the Pacific Princess last year. Wonderful to hear she was promoted. Was Christophe (her BF, a ship's officer) also on board? They were such a cute couple!

Kathi & Leo

I’m going to return back to the review part, because I’m getting a little tired of just scenery, and I’m sure you all must be too. Tonight was the first formal night, which meant the champagne waterfall-cocktail party, a delicious dinner, and a production show. First, the dinner.

Crabmeat quiche, one of our favorite appetizers…excuse the quiche here, it looks like it had a few too many at the champagne waterfall!

DSC02120.jpg

Grilled mignons of beef tenderloin

DSC02125.jpg

Semi-frozen cookie and cream parfait

DSC02130.jpg

Gourmandises, which is a fancy way of saying bite sized deliciousness:

DSC02132.jpg

The champagne waterfall-Captain’s cocktail party began at 7:15 and was supposed to last until 8pm. The Captain, Craig Street, was unable to attend as he was needed on the bridge, so senior officers attended in his stead. They served champagne and mimosas, though I’m not sure if you could ask for another type of cocktail or not. On our last Princess cruise, the champagne waterfall was not combined with the Captain’s cocktail party and was later in evening (around 11:30), which I personally preferred. IMHO, it appears a bit cheap to combine the two events, not to mention to schedule them during a time when most are at dinner. I felt like the attendance was a bit down due to the timing, but maybe that’s what they’re aiming for.

The crowd:

DSC02146.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

The waterfall itself:

DSC02144.jpg

Anyone is welcome to pour champagne into the waterfall with the help of the Maitre D’, and the Princess paparazzi (I mean, photographers) are happy to snap your photo while you do it.

DSC02147.jpg

Tonight’s production show was Cinematastic, held in the Princess Theater. There were two showings, 8:15 and 10:15pm, and it was only presented once. For those who haven’t sailed Princess before, please know that the theater fills up early before showtime and the seating really isn’t adequate for the total number of passengers aboard. That being said, I would advise people to get there at least 20min before if you want a particular seat (or if you need a large group of seats). This is my experience with the early shows, I’ve heard the late shows are a bit better, but have never experienced it myself.

Here’s an example, the theater about 10min prior to showtime:

DSC04707.jpg

Cinematastic is a decent show. It features famous songs from movies. I found some of the numbers a little strange, which is probably the reason I wouldn’t rate this as one of my favorite production shows, but it’s good entertainment.

Finale of Cinematastic

DSC02160.jpg

One of the things I prefer on Princess over Celebrity is their entertainment options. Celebrity’s shows are good, but Princess just has more options in evening: live music/dancing, gameshows, specialty acts, Piazza performers, the disco, and even a piano player in one of the smaller lounges. It’s hard to be bored on Princess. After the show, we attended the Newlywed gameshow (always funny – to me, at least!). This is only offered once a cruise, I believe, and it’s usually early on in the trip, so if you like the gameshow, be on the lookout for it.

The comedian, Jim MacDonald, also had two sets in the Vista lounge that evening (he also repeated this show in the Princess theater the next night). We attended the one immediately following the Newlywed game. Again, after he warmed up, he was decent. The highlight of his act was his slideshow, a longer one this time, and more entertaining.

Well, I’ve reached another good stopping point, so that’s all for tonight. Thank you again, all, for your kind words and compliments on my review. If I missed any questions (and I know I did!), I promise to get to them tomorrow. I’m really enjoying writing this review and am glad so many others are enjoying it, too. Thank you!

I’m going to return back to the review part, because I’m getting a little tired of just scenery, and I’m sure you all must be too. Tonight was the first formal night, which meant the champagne waterfall-cocktail party, a delicious dinner, and a production show. First, the dinner.

Crabmeat quiche, one of our favorite appetizers…excuse the quiche here, it looks like it had a few too many at the champagne waterfall!

Did they have any seafood offerings for the first formal night or than beef?

I'm sorry if I am getting ahead of you, but did you have menus that you were posting. I guess I need something to eat, as these food photos are making me hungry... :)

Keep it coming! Thanks.

I'm really enjoying your posts and pictures Infi!

I'm so glad to hear the Calypso pool (indoor) is being heated again. It wasn't heated when I was on last Sept, and they kept giving me the run-around and trying to tell me it was! I suspected then that it was simply "broken". I'm convinced now. It would have been a lot less trouble for all of us if they would have just said so...

Everything else on the star was really great, so I booked another cruise on her, and was just resolved that I wouldn't be doing as much swiming as I like. I'm hopeful now!

The Star is a really beautiful ship. Especially the Calypso pool area. Great place to swim or relax.

:cool:..Thank you, Infi for your great review and photos...My advice to those who don't like your review...is to, not read it.....We are sailing in the Star on Sept. 6..I can't wait till the end of your review, Our big question is,exactly how long it took you to get to the airport..We have a early flight ,you see...and all this talk of traffic and crowding has us a little worried.:eek: We are going to get early off and our flight is at 11:40...Should we change our flight???...Any help you can give us, would be very helpful...:D We are Celebrity Fans also..But, Since they don't go to Skagway..We decided to try Princess...We have a mini-suite on the Emerald deck aft. Our friends have the one next door, so we should be able to open the divider:D...Plus, it looks like we will be close to the DR......Love the food pics..keep'em coming...and like I said...Applause, Applause...Well done...I do long reviews of my cruises too...The people who cruise seem to like them...just like your's...Keep it coming!!!!:D:D

Infi, again thank you for your review so far. I am anxious to hear and see the Star Princess. I was on the Emerald in February and know what you mean about the traditional DR being downstairs with access from only the stairs and elevators although we did have 4 elevators on the Emerald. However, one of the Anytime DR's was across from the traditional one and that really led to more people crowded into the area.

I think that it's nice that you are giving your opinion and I don't look at your comments as negative but just "your opinion".

Keep up the good work and post more soon, please.

Hi Infi.:) Great and wonderful review as always. Love your DD's pics---as always. Tell her hello from the JWJs.

I'm trying to get our Alaska cruise booked for September. Most likely will do a Cruisetour. You mentioned that having a balcony is almost a necessity for Alaska. I've been considering an inside to save a few $$s since we are looking at the Cruisetour.

Looking forward to seeing you both on the Ruby!

Best regards,

Jeanne

I just looked on a Time Zone map and it appears Alaska is in a time zone one hour earlier than Seattle. Does the ship time go back at some point, on a sea day, before you hit the first port? Since I have excursions planned, it would make a difference!

I just looked on a Time Zone map and it appears Alaska is in a time zone one hour earlier than Seattle. Does the ship time go back at some point, on a sea day, before you hit the first port? Since I have excursions planned, it would make a difference!

Yeah, you change back and forth during the cruise. The ship will be on local time, no worries.

Archived