Bermuda - Sleeveless Tanks for Men

OfcSupport

We'll be in Bermuda in a few weeks. I've read that Bermuda is a bit more formal than the islands in the Caribbean. Is it acceptable for men to wear sleeveless t-shirts when sightseeing on the island? I'm not talking about wearing them in a nice restaurant. We don't want to offend any of the locals if we are riding the bus or taking a ferry. I've read it can be humid in July.

Thanks!

At the risk of being called a snob - or risk a spanking from the casual dress police - I would say no - not appropriate UNLESS you're ON the beach. Bermuda is Bermuda - not exactly the "Caribbean" - and there is so much "proper" British influence there - bermuda shorts worn with a sport coat & dress shirt worn by the locals.......

A plain t-shirt would be SO much better - or a collared golf-type shirt....even though you're sightseeing, hopefully you'll want to go into shops, restaurants, etc - and there's a certain type of dress-code that the locals observe - and it's nice to extend them the same respect as well.

Bermuda - "The Rock" - is a special experience - have a great time !!!!!

Actually, I prefer not to have to buy sleeveless shirts for my 16 year old. He won't wear them at home. We were out yesterday at an amusement park and it was very humid. My son was sweating and his shirt was wet and he kept rolling up his sleeves. I was thinking he would be more comfortable in a sleeveless tee. They do make some quick dry sports t-shirts but they are made of polyester and they smell. Any guys out there that can suggest a comfortable lightweight sports tee?

Thanks.

We were in Bermuda in mid-August. Yes, it is definitely hot, but I do not recall seeing a single gentleman in a sleeveless tank. And we were all over that beautiful island.

Have a fabulous time. The buses and ferries will take you pretty much anywhere that you want to go.

DH and I have had some quick dry things and I never noticed any smell. I'm not sure of the actual fabric content but it's not polyester feeling. Lands End things are usually nice and if you have a Sears near you, it's possible to see if they have thses shirts in stock. If you order through Sears. you don't pay shipping. They're even on sale.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ShortSleeveDriLiteTshirt~196476_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000548&origin=index

The July average daily high temp in Bermuda is 82 degrees F. That's not so hot in my book. The typical high humidity this coming week is forecast in the 84%-86% range. You can also expect a breeze every day off the ocean.

Maybe there is a compromise....a sleeveles T vs a Tank Top T...sometimes called "muscle shirts"...that would be equivalent to a T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

Thanks everyone. My title might have been misleading. I was refering to sleeveless t-shirts or muscle shirts not actually a man's tank top.

I am going to check out the Land's End shirts.

All 3 are the same and they are ugly :D:D

Normal plain coloured T-shirts or polo shirts s'il vous plait! :D:D

I got some Sunlife T- and polo shirts for DH from Lands End and he loves them - he says the fabric feels nice.

Thanks everyone. My title might have been misleading. I was refering to sleeveless t-shirts or muscle shirts not actually a man's tank top.

I am going to check out the Land's End shirts.

You mean wife beater t-shirts? They aren't proper without the bbq sauce and beer stains :).

Tanks or muscle T's should only be worn in the gym or on the beach period. Plain cotton t's are comfortable and come in many colors. The ones from the Gap are very light weight and cool. Covering the top 6 inches of your arm isn't going to raise a sweat Around here they won't even let you into a restaurant with a tank and Bermuda is more formal, show some respect it won't kill you. Polo shirts are also a very nice option.

Tanks or muscle T's should only be worn in the gym or on the beach period. Plain cotton t's are comfortable and come in many colors. The ones from the Gap are very light weight and cool. Covering the top 6 inches of your arm isn't going to raise a sweat Around here they won't even let you into a restaurant with a tank and Bermuda is more formal, show some respect it won't kill you. Polo shirts are also a very nice option.

Im not quite sure I understand the tone of your posting. The OP said they were asking the question because did not want to offend any of the locals (which is showing them respect) while trying to find a comfortable alternative for their son. Maybe I took your posting wrong and if I did I do apologize, I just felt saying "show some respect it won't kill you" was a little harsh towards the OP who I feel was asking a legit question.

At the risk of being flamed, I think they are the about the ugliest thing men wear. I think a t-shirt that says " anything" would be better.

Okay, slam away.

That's a silly quote. Who would want "Anything" printed on their t-shirt?

Now.... "Whatever..." is a different story! :rolleyes:

This is just a thought, and I realize he's a teen and may object...but what about short-sleeved dress shirts?

They can be worn open (if he's so inclined) and then buttoned up when going into a store.

They're also lighter weight than t-shirts and the cooling breeze will have more effect, while also adding the "modest" touch as it concerns the underarms.

i'm stuck in the Grease era. most of the time i just fold the sleeves on my tshirt...still have a "sleeve"...just minus the pack of cigarettes. :D

it SHOULD be cotton. that dry-fit stuff...that's all polyester type fabrics. nothing special (sorry Nike)...it does help evaporate the sweat.

i enjoy wearing the sleeveless tshirts. i think the looser fit are absolutely fine if you are out and about...obviously if you are going into town to shop might want to have a nicer shirt.

now you might think this is strange, but i actually wear an undershirt beneath my tshirts. most of the time i wear a Hanes A-shirt (aka wife beater). i sweat tremendously. and i feel it helps to control the sweat absorption. i also pack an extra undershirt AND tshirt/golf shirt/camp shirt. oh and...also...some Speed Stick antipersperant. the other item i have in my backpack are a couple handtowels to wipe off my sweat.

just sharing the boy scout motto: BE PREPARED

They do make some quick dry sports t-shirts but they are made of polyester and they smell. Any guys out there that can suggest a comfortable lightweight sports tee?

In hot/humid climates I prefer loose fitting synthetic quick-dry t-shirts to cotton (which ends up sticking to me). I have some made of polyester and some of nylon. I would say that they smell different than cotton, but not necessarily bad. I think it helps if you wash them a few times before wearing them. And, of course, you can wash 'em in your cabin and they dry overnight.

I would also "second" the idea of light weight short sleeved sport/dress shirts. I don't especially care for the look, but they can be very comfortable in hot climates.

Respect? You know nothing about me or my family. You might want to brush up on your manners and show some class.

To everyone else who has offered their advice thank you!!!! I ordered some things on-line and I'm done with this thread. I have other things to do with my time, unlike some losers, whose life conisists of surfing these threads looking for something negative to say.

Bemuda here we come!!!!

Do what we do in the Texas heat during the summer. Go shirtless, until you enter an air-conditioned store or restaurant when you put on your t-shirt. No shirt, no shoes, no service....

As mentioned above, you could be given a $50 fine for walking around shirtless. It's a law in Bermuda.

I didn't mean to sound harsh and I did offer you some viable options That in my opinion is not being negative. Sorry if I offended you in any way. Enjoy your cruise and wear what your comfortable in. I just think sleeves look nicer. again sorry!!

Archived