Review Pet Peeve

DeRon

Just posting a little pet peeve of mine. When people do "Reviews" on this web site, it seems to be more like a diary:

"1st day we did this. 2nd day we did that. Then we ate. Then we did this..."

Isn't a review supposed to review the ship? Quality, condition, service, etc.?

Maybe I am wrong.

I personally feel that a good review involves both objective and subjective measures. If a review was purely factual, basically all we would be looking at is physical descriptions of facilities and stops with no personal feeling involved. I really wouldn't want to read that "Ship X was 44,000 tons and white in color with 1200 passengers", etc. for an entire review. That gives me little idea of what life on this particular ship actually is. Opinion is helps tell me what others experienced for better or for worse. Even cleanliness and ship condition is a subjective measure. Some may be appalled by the slightest speck of dust and some may not care to see a roach or two. Knowing people's personal experiences is like adding the adjectives and adverbs to a sentence--perhaps not necesary, but makes things interesting and helps clarify the objective information.

I really wouldn't want to read that "Ship X was 44,000 tons and white in color with 1200 passengers", etc. for an entire review.

Me neither. That is not what I am talking about. I like to read people's experiences on a ship also if it relates to reviewing the ship/cruise experience. Facts like tonnage and color is not a review either.

Just my opinion. ;)

I don't think the OP was talking about tonnage and color of the ship. Amazing how people insert their own ideas. I agree with the OP. I can do without the long-winded reviews that tell what every member of the family ate for dinner, etc. In fact, most of those reviews generally don't even get into the quality aspects of the cruise. Most of us know what we do on a cruise. What I need to know is if there is anything really special or really bad about this ship / itinerary.

The "diary" part for most is integral to the review...A proper review includes both...It would be useless to merely state "We went on the El Yunke Rain Forest Excursion" without expressing an opinion or giving some detail...but, likewise, it would be pointless to merely state "The excursions were bad" without first explaining which excursion it weas you went on and then going on to explain what you thought made it "bad"...

Want to write a meaningful and useful review? First explain in DETAIL what it was you did...Give us some background as to why you did it...Give us an opinion as to whether you enjoyed it, hated it, thought i could be improved or not or, given a second choice, would have done something different...and then tell us why...

If someone merely tells me a cruise was bad, it would help to know exactly what they did...and what they expected or wanted...and then justify the opinion...The review coming from a 25 year old who only went snorkeling or kayaking in every port and hits main seating dinner and spends every evening in the disco might be of little use to the octogenarian who likes to go sightseeing and shopping in every port and spends each evening at late seating dinner then goes right to bed...and vice versa...Send those two on the same cruise and they'll come up with widely differing reviews...

So, yes, I want to know EXACTLY what you did...I can interpret the review for myself...

I am thankful to anyone who takes the time to post a review, no matter what the content. I teach technical writing and realize how difficult writing is for many people.

Having said that, my review pet peeve is when the writer uses the phrase "cruise experience" as in, "The great service enhanced the cruise experience."

"Cruise experience" is 5 syllable way to say "cruise"

Just say NO to "cruise experience". Save typing time, save reading time and say YES to "cruise!"

Lisa

Personally, I enjoy most all reviews. Articulate or not. Obviously if I'm reading threads on CC I have some time to kill otherwise I wouldn't be here. I like reading about the personal experiences and even what people had for dinner.

I'd much rather read a rambling review than clean the litter box. I also think about the poster actually taking the time to write the review. How thoughtful of them. :)

I'm not very helpful on these boards but I do know how to have a fantastic time on my cruise.

No one is forced to read a review or even posts of no interest. That's the beauty of CC. You get to pick and choose how to keep your upcoming cruise alive in your mind. :)

Well, I guess I set myself up for this one. LOL! Oh well. :)

I hear your points, and it is great if you guys want to hear what everyone had to eat. I am mainly talking about the reviews that JUST talk about what they ate and what they did, with no review of the ship (or cruise "experience" lol).

I still think a review should be a REVIEW.

P.S. Today, my wife and I slept late. We then went to a chinese place for lunch. She had the Lo Mein, and I had the Sweet and Sour Chicken. (They were out of Genral Taos Chicken.) We talked a lot about our kids during the meal. Afterward, we went shopping, and then we went back home. We were exhausted from all the walking in the mall.

From what you just read, should you go to the same restaurant? ;)

I think I have read all of chesterh's "reviews". For me, they have been more like delightful stories, never a dull moment. I have also enjoyed his video, he's a very talented guy. I did not know he got a free cruise, though, was it because of his story telling?

I'm guilty of skimming over reviews if they seem a bit boring to me. I also have more fun reading the "awful ship, terrible food" stories than the sugar coated ones. Probably because that is when the flame throwers come out. I think maybe I've been here too long.

Nope, not if they are out of the Generals chicken. See how helpful your post is. :D

By the way, if your boys are into housecleaning, I would love to supervise them for 10 days. :D

Man! You guys don't concede do you?!? LOL!

And, unfortunately my boy's strongest character qualities do not include housecleaning. But I am thinking about shipping them to you anyway! Where do you live? lol

I'm guilty of skimming over reviews if they seem a bit boring to me. I also have more fun reading the "awful ship, terrible food" stories than the sugar coated ones. Probably because that is when the flame throwers come out. I think maybe I've been here too long.

I'm guilty of enjoying the "awful ship" reviews also. I guess I'm just a Shadenfreude kind of person. Not something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

DeRon, Send them to us in NC. If they are not into housekeeping maybe they can enhance the experience of living in NC. I can show them the videos of what they are missing on a cruise. Trust me, they will be so happy to come home. :D

I am thankful to anyone who takes the time to post a review, no matter what the content. Lisa

SO AGREE!

Gosh! My "Pet Peeve" are the folks who ask at least a million questions :rolleyes: BEFORE a cruise and never bother to post any sort of reply when they return! :o

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Anything on this board is 'free'.......it does not cost anything to join, post,read or ignore the whole thing. No one has to post anything or respond to anyone or anything.

Whatever people write I may read or ignore. I can and may post if I want to and only if I want to. I even do not have to 'be' here if I do not want to.

So I do not have any right to have any "Pet Peeves" based on this Cruise Critic board or do I?

And, yes I like this board regardless how good or bad it is.

Sometimes I share things with others and sometimes I learn from others. I might like information that is useless to others and some posts that I think are plain nonsense, could be valuable for others. Some people are great writers and many are not, some make mistakes but that is the best they can do, some have a hard time even to write one sentense and to spell one ward and others can write so well that they share their life stories..........and it is all 'free'.......so I am just happy that it is here in its perhaps not so perfect form.

Wes

I actually love the diary reviews, I've not been on a cruise yet, and hearing about people's experiences and how they felt really gives me a flavour of what I have to look forward to. I also love hearing about the gorgeous food they get to eat cause I'm a big foodie and I get to fantasise about all the lovely meals I have waiting for me on the cruise.

DeRon,

You obviously haven't had sensitivity training. Remember you must be PC, Never, never ,offend, and since you don't know what ,will offend who, then don't say anything. But it really is easy. Just remember this one rule. In this day and age you can still have an opinion as long as everyone agrees with it.. :cool:

Archived