Review Pet Peeve

DeRon

Let's be sure to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator. Why would anyone want to enjoy an articulate, descriptive review?;)
Ma Bell,

Eliminating redundancy, such as using "cruise" instead of "cruise experience", makes a review more articulate, not less.

Sincerely,

Lisa

CEO

Anti-Redundant Department of Anti-Redundancy;)

Lisa, you definitely sound smarter than me. But "cruise experience" (to me) does mean something a little different than just a "cruise". AND it sounds different than just a "cruise". LOL

Please don't give me an F.:))

DeRon,

Sounding smart is the key! As long as we sound smart, we don't have to actually be smart. :D

Anyway, you are absolutely right. Out of context, "cruise" and "cruise experience" do have different meanings. But, if you take virtually any review on this site, and lose the "experience", you'll see the sentence has the same meaning.

What is a review anyway? It's someone's opinion of their experience.

My two cents has been used up....

Lisa

I skim some of the longer reviews. But I think it's great that people want to share their cruise experience. (Couldn't resist.)

Here's one of my reviews. I tend to write about topics--entertainment, food, excursions--instead of a blow-by-blow recounting of the cruise. But I've learned things from both types of reviews. Some people don't have the time to organize their reviews, and the day-by-day format is easier to write if not always easier to read.

My comment really wasn't directed to you. I was responding to the original poster. Now that you brought it up, I also believe a cruise "experience" may mean something entirely different than just a cruise. There are much better examples of redundancy for the redundancy police to criticize.:)

Hi Lois,

Welcome home. I really enjoyed reading your review. Knowing how much you love the C-Class ships, I was really interested in your opinion of Constellation. It's unfortunate that there were some problems. It seems as though cruising at this time of the year is when we hear the most complaints.

Sounds as though you enjoyed the cruise and that the few problems were handled well. My two experiences on Constellation were outstanding but they were longer cruises at different times. I was impressed with Ruby and thought she handled her position very well. She was always available and full of great suggestions when someone inquired.

So happy to hear that Sudi was aboard. For those of us who like the Martini Bar, he is a special treat.

Hi Ma Bell...I agree....Ruby was great:) ...and it was really neat...there were 3 other crew members on some of my prior sailings too!!! So nice to see them again!

It really is nice to see crew members that you've sailed with before. I know they really miss their families and it really makes them happy to see people they like.

We receive e-mail from 3 or 4 that we have seen on our cruises. They love to tell us which ship they are on in case we are ready to book another. Most of the Celebrity crew are fine young people who are working hard to better themselves and provide better lives for their families.:)

My comment really wasn't directed to you. I was responding to the original poster.

Umm..I guess that would be me. Ma, are you mad at me? Cuz I am not mad. I am just stating my opinion. I defintely don't lose any sleep over this though.

As I have said several times here, I am probably wrong (meaning most of the people probably disagree with me). But don't get mad at me. I am a lover, not a fighter. :)

I hope I don't sound mad. I'm definitely not. I was just being sarcastic. I just think it's very thoughtful of people to write their reviews regardless of what they say. There are many that go into a great deal of detail and are very interesting and there are those that go into a great deal of detail that are not very interesting. At least they made the effort and I applaud them for that.:)

Hi -- you guys have cracked me up with a few of the posts in this thread...my but there are some witty people about! But to take it seriously for a moment and respond to what I believe the OP was actually asking about:

I truly do appreciate each and every review that someone takes the time to write. But when I am searching for which cruise line or ship to choose, I tend to skip the ones that were written as a travelogue, and read the ones that were written by topic, i.e. the ship, dining, entertainment, service, etc. I found those much more valuable, as it was easier to find the information I needed for comparison purposes.

Once I'd narrowed it down, then I would take the time to go back and read some of the diary-style ones, mostly for enjoyment and to get a more detailed sense for what the whole "cruise experience" ;) would be like. So when I've written my own reviews, I've written them in topic-style, because those are the ones I found most helpful and useful.

Not that I would want to dissuade someone for posting their travelogue, which can be quite entertaining to read during those interminable times in between cruises, to at least live a little bit vicariously!

LeeAnne

Hi:)

We are all different people....that is what makes the world go round....if we all liked the exact same things I believe life could get quite boring......

So is the way of cruising and reviews.......some of us like BIG SHIPS...others like smaller ones.......

Reviews.......some of us love writing journals......others enjoy the facts...just the facts m'am;)

There is something for all of us:) and I think that is what makes things nice!

You say Tomatoe..........I say tomatoe.....

:D Reading the boards will make anyone aware of how different people's opinions are!! Personally, I really enjoy a detailed review...with the good, the bad, the ugly and all the fun in between. (BTW Lois, I loved your review)

So, for those who don't enjoy all the details..please skim through the longer reviews...for those who enjoy writing (and have diarrhea of the word processor :D ) please continue to write away!! The time and effort you take is not lost...but enjoyed by at least some of us. :)

Lois, I really enjoyed your review. I thought it was very well written, too.

DeRon, I'm waiting with my red pen for your next review. I have Word and I know how to use it. :D (The review you linked to was great, by the way.)

Seriously, when it comes to cruise reviews, I follow the "if you can't say anything nice..." rule. I'm thrilled when anyone posts any review. I am a review reading addict.

Our next cruise is on Galaxy on March 10th, and I doubt there is a Galaxy review anywhere on the net that I haven't read. (I am also a Google addict. However, if anyone's got a Galaxy review that can't be found with a search engine, please let me know.)

As far as negative reviews go, I like them too. I hardly ever find the so-called negatives to be anything that would impact my overall cruise.

Happy Holidays,

Lisa

Lisa,

You are in luck!! I have reviewed the Galaxy!!! Here is a copy:

The ship was white with a blue stripe.

It had a blue "X" on the top.

There were 1900 passengers.

It weighs around 70,000 tons.

Now THAT'S a good review!! jk LOL!

Lisa,

You are in luck!! I have reviewed the Galaxy!!! Here is a copy:

The ship was white with a blue stripe.

It had a blue "X" on the top.

There were 1900 passengers.

It weighs around 70,000 tons.

Now THAT'S a good review!! jk LOL!

TMI!!!!!! ;) :D

As a not a very experienced cruiser..I enjoy the detailed personal reviews. It truly is helpful in deciding upon a ship. I would have to agree that some reviews tend to get a little off track. That's not a bad thing though if they say where they went shopping for example, where the deals are and go into enough detail to keep it helpful to others.

Archived