Review Pet Peeve

DeRon

Others have posted this far better than I will. I really enjoy reading reviews of all kinds but also appreciate when the review gives an honest opinion of all the good experiences along with the bad. After all, what is the point of a fantastic review if there were bad experiences but are not mentioned?

Most readers on this board will know that their upcoming cruise will not duplicate the cruise of the reviewer partly because we all have different expectations and partly because no two cruises are exactly the same. Ask anyone who has taken a b/b.

Our worst experience was on a b/b where our waiter was fantastic on the first cruise but unfortunately his wife informed him by email before the second legg of the cruise that she was leaving him. The service for the second week was awful. The best experience on a b/b was when the Captain on the first legg of the cruise was cruising with his wife and we were invited for dinner at the Captains table. On the second legg he was cruising with his Mistress and not only were we invited to the Captains table, we were also invited for a tour of the kitchen and a tour of the Bridge afterwards. On top of that we were invited to the Captains quarters for after hours cocktails. You would not believe what goes on at that point. :eek:

Okay, You all know I made that up but you have to admit that it was interesting for just a moment. That's just how I read the reviews. They are just someone elses experience on their cruise and they are fun to read. It's probably not going to be my expierience but I certainly enjoy reading about it.

DeRon, Actually, I backtrack. :D

Awww, BT. And I was looking forward to part II of your exciting experience:( :D

I too enjoy reading all the reviews posted and I skim over the bits if I'm not interested. There are all sorts of people out there and all will write in a different style. It's a shame more people don't do them (briefly or in detail). I see so many people say they are going on a cruise, but relatively few reviews are done. I think a lot are put off by the flaming that can go on around here (and that goes for posting in general, I think).

Oh and DeRon, your review on Galaxy was absolutely spot onicon14.gif:D

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Would asking people who are writing travelogues to label them as such solve the problem?

I enjoy reading both the travelogues (for entertainment and to get a sense of "being there") and the reviews (for more critical analysis).

If I may have a pet peeve of my own, I would like more context from the reviewer if they are going to be critical. An idea of what someone enjoys doing when not on a cruise is always helpful in understanding their review. For example, if you tell me that you live on the Upper East Side and dined thrice weekly at Le Cirque 2000 until it closed, then I would know that you're probably holding the cruise food and service to a higher standard than I would.

Archived