Alaska: Totem Bright or Saxman Native Village ?

Overtime4me2

If you are looking just to see totem poles, there are some in a park in Ketchikan. We took a tour to Saxman (nonship) and it was a waste. The carvers had already left when we got there and the gift shop was closing. Some tour.

I would do neither, and opt for walking around town, there are plenty of totem poles in town, in the city park and inside and outside the museum. Take the funicular up to the lodge and walk back down, and go to the salmon hatchery. Then walk over to the small craft harbor. Ketchikan was nice, if you got away from all the gift shops.

We were at Saxon Village last week and we loved it. The cab fare is $12 and the city bus is 90c one way. The bus runs once an hour. We were very lucky with the weather and walked around for about an hour. We saw the carvers and they were also painting on site. As an added bonus there is a bald eagle nesting in the tree as you enter.

We took the ship sponsored tour to Saxman (and the Lumberjack Show). This was a highlight for DH and I. However, we had a guide who took us in to see the dancers, we went on a nature walk, they explained the totems, and introduced us to the carvers. If we had just gone there on our own and didn't have the guide, it probably would not have been so good.

Frankly, I love both, but probably Totem Bight's setting is more impressive. I took Sourdough's tour of both and really benefited from the guide's narrative. It's so much easier to have someone relate the stories behind the tp's. I arranged it on my own. I also did a tour of Saxman only and really enjoyed it.

We took the ship sponsored tour to Saxman (and the Lumberjack Show). This was a highlight for DH and I. However, we had a guide who took us in to see the dancers, we went on a nature walk, they explained the totems, and introduced us to the carvers. If we had just gone there on our own and didn't have the guide, it probably would not have been so good.

We did this a few years ago. We were "independents"--using the Alaska Ferry System to tour. We booked a visit to Saxman at the same time a big Princess tour group was there. We got to see the dancers and had a wonderful guide. It was really wonderful.

I don't know if it's still there, but at the entrance to the village, there is a local artists cooperative shop (not actually part of the park). I found some of my nicest souvenirs there and at great prices.

The bus is a real deal, too, if you have enough time.

Totem Bight is a gorgeous setting, but you will enjoy it more with a guide.

Wow! Thank you ALL for such nice responses and some MORE ideas for us :D.

Many of you have given some great ideas about touring on our own, etc. We're about 6 1/2 wks out and my head is spinning on excursions right now ;), but that's a good thing! Planning IS half the fun, right! :)

I would do neither, and opt for walking around town, there are plenty of totem poles in town, in the city park and inside and outside the museum. Take the funicular up to the lodge and walk back down, and go to the salmon hatchery. Then walk over to the small craft harbor. Ketchikan was nice, if you got away from all the gift shops.

Dandro, thanks for the idea about the funicular. I had just recently heard about that. Also, I'm glad to hear about a salmon hatchery. I'm interested this time in seeing one. Last year I thought it would be "boring", but then I heard some really nice comments from other passengers about it and thought maybe I should check it out.

Thanks again :)

We did this a few years ago. We were "independents"--using the Alaska Ferry System to tour. We booked a visit to Saxman at the same time a big Princess tour group was there. We got to see the dancers and had a wonderful guide. It was really wonderful.

I don't know if it's still there, but at the entrance to the village, there is a local artists cooperative shop (not actually part of the park). I found some of my nicest souvenirs there and at great prices.

The bus is a real deal, too, if you have enough time.

Totem Bight is a gorgeous setting, but you will enjoy it more with a guide.

I hope the local artists coop shop is still there, that sounds like a neat place to see :D

Thanks Geo....it looks like fun!

Sue,

Kind of off topic but could you please email me Bonnie's email address? My email is robbev@mailme.ca.......thanks!

Papaoma,

I just e-mailed it to you. Bonnie is no longer with HAL, but I sent you the person who took over for her. She was very helpful and we just received our docs yesterday and everything is perfect :D !!

:)

Archived