What is a Wine tasting?

noise

I'm new with Hal, could anyone of you explain in simple words what is exactly a Wine tasting? I've already asked the ship service, they sent me the prices, but I didn't understand what is intended by Standard wine tasting, is the price referred to a single day, a single bottle or anything else? and is it intended for a single person or it doesn't matter how many you are? Thanks a lot

I hope someone who has actually done a wine tasting can give a better description, but as I understand: This is not with a meal, you will sample different wines as a group and talk about the differences. You can sign up for this as an individual, but you will be part of a group when sampling the wines. I see that it is mentioned that the ship's sommelier is there for the Premium tasting, but I would expect him/her to be there for the Standard tasting too. I could be wrong in that, but someone will be leading the tasting. The Standard wines will be less expensive than the Premium wines. When this is scheduled it will be listed in the Daily Schedule (delivered each night for the next day).

The Standard Wine tasting is $15 per person and usually held either in the dining room or the Explorer's Lounge. At one time it was $10 per person and you sampled 6 wines - just an ounce. The last one we did was a couple of years ago -- 4 samples -- and barely an ounce to taste.

The Premium Wine tasting is done in the Pinnacle -- better quality of wines. Tried it -- was great years ago. And then it changed as well. I can't say how many wines they taste -- it used to be 5. That price is $35 per person.

Also years ago, if you attended, you got 10% off of a bottle of wine.

The cellar master has been in charge of these the last couple of years.

The standard wine tasting is what we consider "Grocery Store" wines, but offers an opportunity to learn about different wine varieties. They will talk about what type of grapes are used to produce the wines, where they are produced, and the production process.

The premier wine tasting allows the Sommelier to select better wines from their "cellar" for tasting, and serve them with a selection of canapes that accent the flavor of each wine. The premier tasting is aimed more towards wine connoisseurs, but is still a great learning opportunity for anyone interested in good wines.

The last time we went to a wine tasting, it was the "basic" one and was held in the main dining room. DH had never been to a wine tasting, so it was a chance for him to see what goes on. There were probably 8 or 10 tables of 8. The cellar master or whatever he is called led the "class", and as mentioned discussed the different varietals, the growing conditions, etc. Pointed out the subtleties to watch for. We had 4 TINY samples of marginally acceptable wine, along with water, bread, cheeses. It was a poor effort compared to what I'd experienced a few years prior on a different line, and the wine tastings I've attending onshore.

We did the Premium Wine tasting once -- there were no canapes -- just cubes of bread and a glass of water in between the tastings. Also a slice of apple and a piece of cheese. Those are not canapes.

Just remember to eat before doing the wine tasting. Our session was at 10:30 in the morning and I didn't eat breakfast that day (I'm not a big fan of breakfast). OMG, did I have a buzz on half way through the tastings. We also had little cubes of bread and apples slices but no cheese.

Just remember to eat before doing the wine tasting. Our session was at 10:30 in the morning and I didn't eat breakfast that day (I'm not a big fan of breakfast). OMG, did I have a buzz on half way through the tastings. We also had little cubes of bread and apples slices but no cheese.

All the ones we used to go to, you would not have gotten a "buzz" -- barely an ounce most times -- others -- just a tiny sip.

If you're really interested in tasting the wines then the simple bread and apple slices are all you should have. It's different than cocktail hour where you need to eat something to metabolize the wine. It's also different than a food and wine pairing class where you drink wines with a variety of different foods to experience the combinations. At a proper wine tasting you should also have the option of just tasting and spitting out the wine so you don't actually get drunk.

I did the Premium Wine Tasting on the Eurodam last Sept. We had bite size food pairings (including shrimp, cheese, chocolate, prosciutto etc etc) and the glasses were about a 2oz pour each. I think we had 8 wines (I remember 4 of them clearly and the others are a little hazy in my memory) AND because there weren't that many of us, they let us have a little more of ones we liked because they had poured for more than showed up so we just took those glasses as well :D

Hi Brian,

I think I really want to watch the Red Sox tonight and they do know how to spit. You talk of spitting wine. So. How does a lady do that without being really gross? I think it's disgusting. Interesting concept, though. I'd rather drink the wine and get wasted, honestly.:)

I did the Premium Wine Tasting on the Eurodam last Sept. We had bite size food pairings (including shrimp, cheese, chocolate, prosciutto etc etc) and the glasses were about a 2oz pour each. I think we had 8 wines (I remember 4 of them clearly and the others are a little hazy in my memory) AND because there weren't that many of us, they let us have a little more of ones we liked because they had poured for more than showed up so we just took those glasses as well :D

Compared to the other poster's experiences, yours sounds like lots of fun...

If only they were all like that!!!

:D:D:D

The Eurodam's premier wine tasting was indeed an educational experience formed around seeing how the chosen wines went with the supplied tidbits. It was well run and fun-not a cocktail party. Even the people who went not planning to, learned something. Palate cleansers were available, and the foods provided were bare morsels; enough for a comparison. The head sommelier, who looked about 18 and admitted to 26, was extremely knowledgeable.

Good time.

Cheers

Mark

You were lucky!!

Never had anything like that.

In fact -- all the ones we used to attend -- no wines were ever poured until people were there -- thus nothing left over.

Our experience has been along the line of that previously mentioned. My comment would be that it varies greatly depending on who is leading it.

For example, on the Zuiderdam in October 2007, the tasting was wounderful and very insightful (wish I could remember who the cellar master was). We have been to many land based tastings, and we still learned a lot of great things. He proved to us that most everyone has a dominant nostril for smelling the wine. DW is not a fan of blue cheese, which among other things, was on the table. He had her taste a wine and a small bite of the cheese, and she was amazed at how the taste had changed. In this particular tasting, nuts, several cheeses, grapes and strawberries were provided, not as a meal, but to demonstrate the ability of the wines to enhance the flavor of the food.

Other tastings have been good, but nowhere as elaborate and educational.

As to Brian's spitting comment, a vessel of some sort is often provided to pour out excess wine. I'm sure living next to wine country, he can tell you even more than I about the land based version of tastings.

Cheers!

Ken

To all of you: I just wanted a single piece of information and I got great fun! Thanks!!! You told me so many things but I must say that I don't drink alcohol at all! I asked for my husband and father, I don't know if they're going to enjoy wine tasting but I did enjoy your answers!

The wine tasting we attended was in the Culinary Arts area and consisted of 5 wines. It was called the Navigator's Choice Wine Tasting and was the first and less expensive wine tasting featured on our cruise.

The wines featured were:

Robert Mondavi Riesling 2007

Monkey Bay Chardonnay 2006

Remole Frescobali, 2006

Twin Fin Shiraz, 2005

Three Blind Moose Cabernet Savignon, 2006

Tasting portion pours of all 5 along with some bread cubes, cheese bites, and water included.

The cellar master talked about each of the wines, explained how to "taste" wine, and then asked us questions about our impression of the wines. There was the soft sell for the wine packages, the other wine tasting, and the special pricey wine paired dinner as well. Ours was well attended. :)

Archived