Athens Tour Company

Peek-a-boo

I would like recommendations for an Athens Tour Company. Either group or private. Would prefer air conditioned transport with a guide to take us into the sights and explain Historical signifigance. Has anyone tried Grayline or a private company?

I would highly recommend Paul with Athens Taxi. athenstaxi@athenstaxi.org www.athenstaxi.org You will communicate with Paul directly. We just returned from a fabulous day spent with Paul. He picked us up promptly and had us to the Parlament and changing of guards early enough that we were the only one there. Then on to the Acropolis where we were finished and heading back to the van just as the tour busses were arriving. He is very knowledgable and a truly fun guy. Took us to a local spot for lunch. Can not say enough about his services.

I would highly recommend Paul with Athens Taxi. athenstaxi@athenstaxi.org www.athenstaxi.org You will communicate with Paul directly. We just returned from a fabulous day spent with Paul. He picked us up promptly and had us to the Parlament and changing of guards early enough that we were the only one there. Then on to the Acropolis where we were finished and heading back to the van just as the tour busses were arriving. He is very knowledgable and a truly fun guy. Took us to a local spot for lunch. Can not say enough about his services.

Is he a licensed guide who can accompany you into the sites?

Shoxfan,

Please let me know how much Paul services were. Did you spend a half day or full day with him? Thank you.

Is he a licensed guide who can accompany you into the sites?

No. Unfortunately, Cynthia, none of these taxi drivers touted so often on these boards are licensed guides, just very, very expensive taxi drivers.

Athens Walking Tours are the only tour company with actual licensed guides operating within Athens itself that I can recommend due to many excellent reviews on the Athens forum of tripadvisor. I have heard of Key Tours and Fantasy Travel, but have not read any reviews of their services.

No. Unfortunately, Cynthia, none of these taxi drivers touted so often on these boards are licensed guides, just very, very expensive taxi drivers.

Athens Walking Tours are the only tour company with actual licensed guides operating within Athens itself that I can recommend due to many excellent reviews on the Athens forum of tripadvisor. I have heard of Key Tours and Fantasy Travel, but have not read any reviews of their services.

Thanks, Pam -- more or less what I expected to hear. I wonder why it's so difficult to track down an actual guide in Athens. :confused:

When we visited Athens we did use a licensed guide, who went into all the sites with us and gave us a great deal of historical information. We used Greece Ala Carte info@greecealacarte.gr and were extremely satisfied with their services and the great guide. They were very flexible in arranging the tour to our requirements. Incidentally the great lunch they set up at the Psarras restaurant in the Plaka was a highlight!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

However, in all honesty I sort of feel like the little girl who made a book report on a book about penguins: "This book told me more about penguins than I ever wanted to know!" We did get a whole lot of in depth historical, architectural and archeological information and if that is what you want a licensed guide will be great for you.

On our next trip to Athens, we choose to simply walk the Antiquities Promenade at our own pace with a guidebook and this worked out really well for us. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

For our third trip to Greece, we have booked Delphi and beyond with Paul, as recommended above.

So you see there are many options. You have to choose the one that is best for YOU.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

Shoxfan,

Please let me know how much Paul services were. Did you spend a half day or full day with him? Thank you.

Paul is not a licensed guide but offered to arrange for one if we wished. He actually provided better information than many 'professionial' guides I have encountered and frequently pointed out sites along our drive, explaining the history, importance or any little tid bit of information. He was not allowed to accompany us at the Acropolis but proivded all in our group a free guide book. He did walk us through the Plaka, pointing out points of interest and providing very interesting history of the various things we passed.

We had a group of 10. Paul personally picked us up from the port at 7:30 and we returned shortly before 5:00 The price was 450 Euro flat and there was actually room for at least 4 more in the clean, air conditioned van. We were very fortunate that the day we were in Athens it was a national holiday therefore entrance to all sites was free. I would definitely not say he was a glorified taxi driver as mentioned in a previous post. I would highly recommend Paul.

Everyone will have their favorite but we loved the day with Jordan at http://www.greek-tours.gr/. He had two other drivers with him and whisked our party of twelve all around Athens in three yellow Mercedes sedans. He spoke excellent english and had a passion for his country. Visit his website and see his credentials and testimonials. There is even one from me from November 2008. You won't be disappointed.

Tim

When we visited Athens we did use a licensed guide, who went into all the sites with us and gave us a great deal of historical information. We used Greece Ala Carte info@greecealacarte.gr and were extremely satisfied with their services and the great guide.

However, in all honesty I sort of feel like the little girl who made a book report on a book about penguins: "This book told me more about penguins than I ever wanted to know!" We did get a whole lot of in depth historical, architectural and archeological information and if that is what you want a licensed guide will be great for you.

That is exactly what I want, thanks for the info. When I invest in a private guide (which isn't very often), it's because I want detailed information that's not readily available by reading the half-dozen guide and history books that I normally average before a trip.

When we visited Athens we did use a licensed guide, who went into all the sites with us and gave us a great deal of historical information. We used Greece Ala Carte info@greecealacarte.gr and were extremely satisfied with their services and the great guide. They were very flexible in arranging the tour to our requirements. Incidentally the great lunch they set up at the Psarras restaurant in the Plaka was a highlight!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

On our next trip to Athens, we choose to simply walk the Antiquities Promenade at our own pace with a guidebook and this worked out really well for us. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

For our third trip to Greece, we have booked Delphi and beyond with Paul, as recommended above.

So you see there are many options. You have to choose the one that is best for YOU.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

Hi, and thank you for the detailed info! I really appreciate your taking the time to spell it all out.

How did you book Greece ala Carte? Do they have a website?

If we choose to walk the Antiquities Promenade, can you hire a guide to explain all the articles of historical import?

Thanks again, I had fun looking at your website!!

We booked a 6 hour tour with Paul and did get a guide to go with us. It was a great decision. The guide was so knowledgable and gave a great tour of the Acropolis - showed us all the sights, history, etc. Then we went by to see Temple of Zeus and changing of the guards, Olympic Stadium and had a great city tour. We also had a tour of the Agora, which was slightly disappointing. Shopping in the Plaka was reduced because it was Sunday (although that meant reduced traffic which was great) so we did not really take advantage of that. It was hot and we got umbrella's for shade. Also my Mom took a walking stick/chair that she used to sit down whenever we stopped. The day was not inexpensive, but adding a guide was a great decision for us.

Hi, and thank you for the detailed info! I really appreciate your taking the time to spell it all out.

How did you book Greece ala Carte? Do they have a website?

If we choose to walk the Antiquities Promenade, can you hire a guide to explain all the articles of historical import?

Thanks again, I had fun looking at your website!!

Email them at info@greecealacarte.gr

I am sure you could book a guide from them to walk the promenade and explain the history. Honestly, a good guide book will give you lots of information. It is pretty easy to do on your own.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

• 1 month later...
Again, not a licensed guide, but definitely the best way to see Athens. We saw more and learned more than we would have otherwise. Our driver was Makis and I highly recommend him.

Hi there,

We are using Spiros in October. I saw a post today indicating that they would not recommend him. Can you tell me what your experience was like? Thanks.

We just got back from Athens, and used Paul for a 9hr tour. We actually had his son Jim drive us, and he was wonderful. I highly recommend this company. They are reliable, knowledgeable, friendly, and affordable. We felt that we didn't need a licensed guide with us, since Jim and/or Paul know so much about the area, and were able to give us so much info as we drove. However, they will get you a licensed guide (for an additional charge) if you want one. Do NOT get conned by the guides at the Acropolis. For 85 euros they will accompany you for one hour. They are horrible. If you want a guide, book one with Paul when you book your tour.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Athens a week ago, and had a great tour with Spiros, web site ***************. 220 Euros for the day, car and driver, a very comfortable Mercedes sedan taxi, with an excellent, knowledgeable, friendly driver (Spiros himself). We were 2 couples, so it was 110 Euros a couple.

Spiros doesn't go into the sites with you, but he's very knowledgeable, tells you all about each site before you go in, points out all the highlights in his guidebook for that site, and lets you take the book with you. I much preferred this to a guided tour.

We contacted Nikos Loukas at www.privategreecetours.com

He was unavailable on our day so set us up with another driver, George, who was FABULOUS!!

Our tour went from the new Museum, to the "old" modern Olympic stadium, to Lykavittos Hill, which overlooks the Acropolis (and most of the city) and has a wonderful old Orthodox church at the peak, Changing of the Guard ... as we drove through the city George & Paige (his assistant) kept up a running commentary on what we we looking at & historical significance, etc etc - between the two of them they know everything about every where we went!

Then we drove along the coast to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Posiedon, had lunch in a wonderful taverna right on the beach, drove back to Athens and went to the Acropolis.

We had plenty of time at each site and George & Paige did a wonderful job of mapping out our day so we encountered NO CROWDS!!

We used Nikus Lukas. He was very outgoing with perfect manners. He has a lot of knowledge regarding Greek Myth and he knew how to deliver it to us – kids and adults alike. He was able to get us to the Acropolis before the ship's buses arrive. He has an air-conditioned van, and has very good English. He went out of his way to make our time with him enjoyable and unforgettable. We highly recommend him.

Hi - I am seeing a thread of top choices for Athens with either Paul or Greece ala carte. We have seen all the sights in Athens. On our day in Port, we would like to go to a fab restaurant for lunch and/or a drive to a lovely beach outside Athens. Will Paul or the Greece ala Carte design just for our needs? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Since I neglected to read the rules for posting, my post about Athens By Taxi from last week was removed. So, I’m rewriting it and adding it to end of this thread because I wanted to be sure to add my recommendations for this professional company. We had amazing service from my first email to when we dropped off at the airport.

Our ship was disembarking in Athens, so we decided to hire a private driver to take us around for the day, stay overnight, then fly to our connecting airport the next day. Well, Olympic air cancelled our flight and we had to scramble for a flight that unfortunately gave us only three hours in Athens. Well, I contacted Paul and he changed us to a half-day tour.

His son, Nick, was waiting for us and we were one of the first off the ship. He quickly loaded our luggage and off we went. I still can’t believe all we got to see in such a short period of time. We started at the Acropolis and were able to explore it thoroughly before the crowds arrived. Since we weren’t in a bus, he was able to drive us right to the ticket building and just a short walk and we were to the top. Then, off we went to the Plaka, agora, Olympic stadium, pictures standing right next to presidential guard, changing of the guard, etc. It was amazing to sit back and have him whip through these small streets taking us all around. I guess it helped that it was a Sunday – light traffic – but it was something we never could have accomplished on our own or a ship tour. I even got in a little souvenir shopping. We really enjoyed our short time with Nick.

Since we don’t speak Greek and never been to Greece, it made perfect sense to hire a driver rather than try to go on our own. If we had tried to do any of this with public transportation or renting a car we would have spent time getting lost, trying to park, and having many tense moments between us which would have ruined this trip. Another important thing we took away from this experience was when you actually get to speak one on one with someone rather than listen to a bus tour guide drone on and on, you really get this connection and understanding of another culture. That was something that we really valued from this trip. Now that we are back home, I can definitely say that all of my private tours were worth every euro.

We contacted Nikos Loukas at www.privategreecetours.com

He was unavailable on our day so set us up with another driver, George, who was FABULOUS!!

Our tour went from the new Museum, to the "old" modern Olympic stadium, to Lykavittos Hill, which overlooks the Acropolis (and most of the city) and has a wonderful old Orthodox church at the peak, Changing of the Guard ... as we drove through the city George & Paige (his assistant) kept up a running commentary on what we we looking at & historical significance, etc etc - between the two of them they know everything about every where we went!

Then we drove along the coast to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Posiedon, had lunch in a wonderful taverna right on the beach, drove back to Athens and went to the Acropolis.

We had plenty of time at each site and George & Paige did a wonderful job of mapping out our day so we encountered NO CROWDS!!

I second Lady Chew's report of Nikos as above. We used him just 2 weeks ago in Athens - 1st class act reliable, responsive, Mercedes A/C SUV/ van - very informative surrounding historical details. Beat 3 other major competitors (some mentioned hereinon this thread) rates too.

Thanks Lady Chew for the recommendation.

Highly recommend Nikos!

Leah, RN

Archived