Punta Arenas Tours?

Dukefan

I am having trouble determining what to do in Punta Arenas for a cruise that I'm taking the first of January, 2010. The two main options appear to be to visit the lighthouse and penguins on Magdalena Island (either by ship's tour via ferry <appox. $140 pp> or by Zodiac <approx. $80 pp>) or to visit Otway Sound and the town. Each appear to have advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of Magdalena Island that it is the best site for pengiuns other than the Falklands which is not a sure thing because so many ships are unable to port there because of weather. The disadvantage is the two hours plus each way it takes to get there by ferry or the roughness of the Zodiac ride which can cut travel time in half. The advantage of seeing Otway Sound and the town is that you get to see penguins (though many fewer ones) and still have plenty of time to tour the city and its museums (Palacio Sara Braun, Museo Salesiano Maggiorino Borgartello, Museo Regional Braun Medendez, and the City Cemetery). Each of these attractions are two star (out of three by Frommer's).

As I continue to research this I keep moving back and forth between these two options. Anyone else have any thoughts that might help push us one way or another?

Thanks,

Gary

I am having trouble determining what to do in Punta Arenas for a cruise that I'm taking the first of January, 2010. The two main options appear to be to visit the lighthouse and penguins on Magdalena Island (either by ship's tour via ferry <appox. $140 pp> or by Zodiac <approx. $80 pp>) or to visit Otway Sound and the town. Each appear to have advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of Magdalena Island that it is the best site for pengiuns other than the Falklands which is not a sure thing because so many ships are unable to port there because of weather. The disadvantage is the two hours plus each way it takes to get there by ferry or the roughness of the Zodiac ride which can cut travel time in half. The advantage of seeing Otway Sound and the town is that you get to see penguins (though many fewer ones) and still have plenty of time to tour the city and its museums (Palacio Sara Braun, Museo Salesiano Maggiorino Borgartello, Museo Regional Braun Medendez, and the City Cemetery). Each of these attractions are two star (out of three by Frommer's).

As I continue to research this I keep moving back and forth between these two options. Anyone else have any thoughts that might help push us one way or another?

Thanks,

Gary

I have been to Magdalena twice-once via ferry, once via zodiac. BE PREPARED if going by zodiac-it can be VERY rough, so if that bothers you, forget it. I thrive on rough seas and are always disappointed if they are calm (we are adrenaline junkies)

I have never been to Otway. Never wanted to go (although I am in SA at least 4 times per year for business.) Local S American's I know have described it as a "zoo type" experience. Walkways, birds quite a ways from you. I really don't know, although some people report they had a fabulous time.

HOW many cathedrals/museums do you want to see in SA? EVERY city/country has lots of them. Kind of like the Middle East (where I just spent 3 months)-every town has a mosque, a souk, a gold market, architecture. After a while, they all look the same.

Your choice but I vote for Magdalena. Ferry IF you are prone to being seasick. Otherwise, take the zodiac and plan on rough seas, getting wet and having the time of your lives. Enjoy!!!

My vote goes for the Madalena Ferry also. We went to Otway and quite truthfully Magdalena sounded so much better. Everyone that went on the ferry was very happy with the experience. We felt a bit rushed walking around on the boardwalk and not that close to the penquins.

I have been to Otway Bay and just wanted to note how much we enjoyed the experience.

It was not a zoo at all.

Many of the penguins that we saw were just a few feet from us as we walked around the wooden pathway. There were some penguins on the beach that were a little further but very visible.

We have also seen the Penguins at the Falkland Islands where they were literally at our feet.

We enjoyed both excursions although we actually found the ones at Otway Bay to be much more fascinating and enjoyed this experience even more. January will be a great time to view them.

In the end pick whichever excursion you want. I just wanted to note that Otway Bay was quite nice. And, in a very natural setting. And definitely not a zoo.

Keith

I have not been to Otway, but don't think you could go wrong with Magdelena Island. We were there in March and it was great. Most of the babies were gone, we saw a few, but there were 100,000 or more adult penguins. It was great! ;)

How much total would it cost for two people to go by taxi to Otway? A 4 hour HAL excursion is $178 for two people and involves "a brief stop at the penguins" I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks

A lot less than $178. I don't remember the exact amount but it was less than $100 for 4 hours. We booked a private tour with a driver and guide. We did not need a guide. They dropped us off in the city after the Seno Otway visit.

I have not been to Otway, but don't think you could go wrong with Magdelena Island. We were there in March and it was great. Most of the babies were gone, we saw a few, but there were 100,000 or more adult penguins. It was great! ;)

Hi:

Was the water rough on the ferry? I am prone to seasickness on small boats if the water is rough, but would love to see the penguins on Magdelena Island.

Thanks,

Arlene

How much total would it cost for two people to go by taxi to Otway? A 4 hour HAL excursion is $178 for two people and involves "a brief stop at the penguins" I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks

It was $25 per person when we went in December (at the pier). We went to Magdalena Island with soloexpediciones.com, $76 per person. Seas were quite nice on our 45 minute crossing but rough on the return from Isla Marta. There were guides all over the pier for Seno Otway and we had many guests who went and thoroughly enjoyed their day. On the other hand, Magdalena was magnificent and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything ! :)

Can we wait and make our decision the morning we dock and still get to Magdelena (pick up local guide or taxi) based upon the weather.

NO-ferry or zodiac only. Ferry's are generally booked by the ship to full capacity. Zodiacs are very limited in number, hold a limited amount of people. You could be shut out entirely from Magdalena Island.

Archived