Trays and Plates???

CruzzyToozy

Yes, Ruth.

On Maasdam, in June, we were using regular size dinner plates in Lido.

It is my understanding that HAL is not going to invest in the larger plates till it has gone Fleet wide and they know they are going to continue to go trayless. Which in a way is unfortunate because they do not know how it can work successfully by not having the big plates. They should have spent the money for just one ship and tested it properly rather than attempting what they are doing.

Yes, Princess has the larger oval plates that you can put more food on.But we still seem to have to carry a separate bowl with the plate for fruit, cereral, salad etc. Then another trip for drinks. I agree that HAL should try out the larger plate - perhaps they could get some on loan from Princess.

Barbara

I am thinking this will be very good for helping me to maintain my weight!! :)

My thoughts exactly! I hope you are enjoying your count down. BTW, I became a Karen groupie back when you were having those troubles. Good luck with your cabin assignment.

I couldnt agree with Kayeleaches opinion--I wrote on other links about this--The lack of trays is clearly to save money and is now way to be treated. On a vacatiion that all cruise try to sell as luxury in their advt. they really treat you like a high school cafteria customer

Recently back from a cruise on the Zuiderdam. Embarkation day at lunch, I was handed a very hot plate in the lido. As I couldn't see any cutlery bundles with the rolled napkin on top, I had to ask the nearest crew person if he could find me a napkin to put under the plate. I was given warm to hot plates other times, but never as hot as the first one.

I had been a waitress in my college years, and this experience came in handy, as I could carry two plates - one for my fruit and grapefruit, the other for my eggs, on one arm, and a drink in the other. I did learn not to fill my tea cup too full, though, as it would spill as I carefully walked through the buffet to the lido pool area. I also handed my plate to the server to put something else on it, rather than take another plate. None of ther servers seemed to have a problem with that. I was asked once while walking with my plates if I needed assistance, but that was the only time.

If I may be permitted please - I wld like to ask 2 little questions re: lunch on embarkation day..! Well at least its related to carrying food..no trays in Lido or Neptune Lounge or being served in the d.r. :)

Is the d.r. open or just the Lido and does the Neptune serve any food/drinks during embarkation?

Princess offers the d.r. on embarkation day so was wondering if HAL was doing this now also?

Happy cruises & lots of 'em! :)

How nice....thank you. I am anticipating that all will go well. Hope you plan on following my blog (address below). 28 days....Unbelievable!!

Ok, I agree with the other poster, ALL of us are Kween Karen Groupies. And PROUD of it!!!!

I LOVE the Guest bed and tub Karen. I can only imagine the piles getting larger and maybe another suitcase or LARGE carry-on. And yes, I made note that there was no kitchen sink in the tub. BUT, who knows for sure about under that pile of clothes on the guest bed:p

There have been numerous FYI pieces about the filth on the bottom of pocketbooks on TV. It's really very ugly. :eek:

How many ladies put those dirty purses on Lido tables? :(

As well as dirty hardcover and paperback books! And not necessarily all by the "ladies"!

The bottom line is - HAL is doing what is best for them. I will do what is best for us - and that is bringing, and using a tray. I refuse to go through that line several times to bring food first to DH and then for myself. I don't see that we should have to give up the variety of choice in the Lido for the dining room because HAL has removed the trays.

I agree 100%

I seem to remember that the plates in the Lido were so large that I could place a couple of small bowls, a sweet roll and an entree on them and not having a tray was not a problem.[/quote]

You must be thinking of Princess, where, apparently, according to a CC member on this board, there are huge, oval platters available in their buffet areas!

It is my understanding that HAL is not going to invest in the larger plates till it has gone Fleet wide and they know they are going to continue to go trayless. Which in a way is unfortunate because they do not know how it can work successfully by not having the big plates. They should have spent the money for just one ship and tested it properly rather than attempting what they are doing.

And one more reason to bring your own large tray!

If I may be permitted please - I wld like to ask 2 little questions re: lunch on embarkation day..! Well at least its related to carrying food..no trays in Lido or Neptune Lounge or being served in the d.r. :)

Is the d.r. open or just the Lido and does the Neptune serve any food/drinks during embarkation?

Princess offers the d.r. on embarkation day so was wondering if HAL was doing this now also?

Usually only the Vista class ships and the Eurodam arre open for lunch on embarkation day in the main dining room from Noon until 1 PM. If the ship is hosting TA's or any other special luncheon -- then the dining room is closed.

Neptune lounge has iced tea, iced water, coffees, cranberry juice, tea sandwiches, sometimes, wraps, cookies, candies, desserts at lunch time every day including embarkation day. There never has been trays and there never will be trays in the Neptune Lounge. The plates are small butter size plates. And the tables by the sofas and chairs are small -- could not hold a tray. There is one large table that has 4 - 6 chairs around it -- depends on the ship.

There have been numerous FYI pieces about the filth on the bottom of pocketbooks on TV. It's really very ugly. :eek:

How many ladies put those dirty purses on Lido tables? :(

I also hate it when I see people put their canvas bags on the tables -- the same ones that have been on the deck by the pool -- the same on tours and probably have sat on tons of dirty items.

... I had been a waitress in my college years' date=' and this experience came in handy, as I could carry two plates - one for my fruit and grapefruit, the other for my eggs, on one arm, and a drink in the other ...[/quote']

Funny how the old waitress skills stick with a person. It's been 45 years since I did that, but can still carry three cups of coffee in one hand. I anticipate no problems in getting from the serving line to a table in the Lido. I can also carry 5 bottles of beer in one hand, but let that be our secret. :)

Usually only the Vista class ships and the Eurodam arre open for lunch on embarkation day in the main dining room from Noon until 1 PM. If the ship is hosting TA's or any other special luncheon -- then the dining room is closed.

Neptune lounge has iced tea, iced water, coffees, cranberry juice, tea sandwiches, sometimes, wraps, cookies, candies, desserts at lunch time every day including embarkation day. There never has been trays and there never will be trays in the Neptune Lounge. The plates are small butter size plates. And the tables by the sofas and chairs are small -- could not hold a tray. There is one large table that has 4 - 6 chairs around it -- depends on the ship.

You are such an asset to this board 'KK', always so willing to assist..I hope I speak for others also when I say - I am most grateful!! :)

In the Neptune Lounge does the food service continue from lunchtime (usually noon to 1:00pm) thru into the afternoon - If one boards at 2:00pm, wld the lunchtime items still be available or is what offered changed?

Thanking u in advance.

For any CC members who were on the Maasdam for the December 2008 cruise and happen to see this thread................

WHAT will we do now with no trays?

For others understanding, our group that formed spontaneously chose to put together that monster 3000 piece jigsaw puzzle of the aquarium/fish/etc. We had around a DOZEN or more trays "borrowed" from the Lido to try and sort out pieces by color, content, etc. etc. When done, these were returned to the "used" dirty stack and not used again until washed for those who fear puzzle-piece-poisoning.

WE completed the puzzle and would be happy to send a picture for others who want to consider this challenge for their cruises on the Maasdam (it took around 15 people working whenever to finish it in about 9 days). Yes you have to be a bit crazy but this was only done when everything else was at a lull. One of our great new Canadian friends admitted that he had become a puzzle-holic after spending the previous evening working on the puzzle until 2 AM. Those Canadians are tough ....or something! We miss you Gaston.

Ask the librarian to get the puzzle from the "secret" back room!!!

Saw some decent trays at MARSHALL'S today. 9 1/2" X 13 1/2", decent heft, light weight, and easily carried/concealed in a medium size tote bag. Just big enough to keep your cereal separate from your fruit, your milk, and your toast.

Mfr/Brand: "Home Essentials" Price $3.99.

Bob

"He was deferential, ingratiating, concerned for your pleasure, like a waiter with a tray of French pastry in his hand." - Mary McCarthy

My wife and I together with a friend were on the Prinsendam Cruise from 17th July to 23rd August, a total of 37 days. Having read in May and June all the "tray" posts, my wife and her friend took their own trays. We had breakfast in the Lido every day, and lunch there most days. My wife took her tray to breakfast and lunch for the first few days, but then did not bother after that. She has said she will not bother to take a tray on our next cruise. We did not see other people with trays, but two asked where we had got them - and then at the next port they bought their own. We did notice that after a few days they did not bring them!

A number of posts have mentioned other possible problems, and I would like to offer my comments. There were a lot of staff around most of the meal times, with drinks trolleys being wheeled around with coffee, tea, water etc. There were staff carrying food to tables, and generally helping those who needed help. As for being handed hot plates, yes this happened a number of times but the server always passed it over with a couple of paper serviettes making it quite possible to carry it to the table. The time spent waiting in line to get food was a lot less than on previous cruises when you had to join the end of a long queue.

Taking all things into consideration, and assuming that our experience is typical for all HAL ships, I prefer the trayless system and the individual food stations as it means that I can get my hot meal after eating my cold starter, which means that it is hot when I eat.

I hope this might be helpful, but I stress that this is my personal view, and others will see it differently.

Can`t wait to go on our next cruise.

Happy cruising everyone.

Archived