Coki Beach Is it very nasty?

amistad

I was at Coral World last year and never made it to Coki Beach, but this year that is our plan to go to Coral World and then to Coki Beach. I have been reading some of the posts about how dirty it is and that there are crack pipes everywhere, is this normal for that beach or was that just a bad day they were there? I am taking my three grandson's so I'm worried it might not be safe. Thanks everyone.

I've been to Coki several times, & it seems worse each time. I felt unsafe with two kids & a teen - lots of unsavory characters loitering, smoking pot/crack, dogging us to buy you name it. The rest rooms are to be avoided at all costs. It's a shame, as it's easy to walk to & from Coral World. Good snorkeling too.

I was there last Monday and had a good time. Not that I was looking, but I didnt see any crack pipes and the only people that came up to me were the waitresses. Can't comment on the bathroom facilities. I did think it got a little crowded though and we were the only ship in that day. Go and have fun. It is what you make it.

We were there in May and had a good time. We had chairs just at the begining of the beach and the only people that approached us as stated previously was a waitress. My DW and friend did say that they bathroom left a lot to be desired and was glad they had hand wipes along but the beach itself and the water was nice. Did not smell or see anything unusal but was not looking ofr anything either. Here are a couple of pictures.

The Ump

John

IMG_1884.jpg.f06e9ce302a117f3c1d0fea1bb0fb6dd.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg.47cc46c08b1d205996a7c2309d84010a.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg.a1e73a0c3006ceafd8d93aaeb0218803.jpg

PICT0006a.jpg.d94169b9aa28f20aa88ec0604c4abfb2.jpg

PICT0001a.jpg.72abd7f09bde846f781ca10ab6b29fa5.jpg

We were on the Freedom 6/14/09 cruise and went to Coki. We were a little scared when we were dropped off, because you have to walk through a construction area to get to the beach. We couldn't see the beach because of a fence, so were a little worried where they were taking us! Once we got on the beach, though, we felt fine. There were a few vendors arguing, but we just laughed it off. It was kind of funny hearing the one lady right next to the fence saying that one of the guys that lead us through was "an illegal from Africa" and then him replying that she was a "crazy lady"!

We had a wonderful day at Coki. The snorkeling was beautiful, and we had great service from Likkedy Spliff's. The guy ran a tab for us and we paid for our food and drinks before we left. He didn't bother us- and just came around every once in a while to check to see if we were ready for another drink.

The Freedom was the only ship in port, and it was funny to see a picture from another Freedom cruiser showing a "crowded beach". (It was taken from the Aquarium) It didn't feel crowded to us at all! We noticed a lot of scuba divers entering the water next to the aquarium, but we snorkeled on the other end of the beach and were practically alone!

We had told the cabbie to come back at 2pm, and he was there waiting just as he had promised!

(pictures are posted of Coki in our webshots linked below)

We will definitely go back to Coki next trip!!

I haven't been there since 2004, but I enjoyed it back then. I was a little worried when we were dropped off. It did look sketchy at first, but it didn't take too long to appreciate the beautiful water, the surrounding area of the water and the snorkeling was great. I was skeptical about ordering food from the little beach shack, but the jerk chicken was the best I've had and I've been to a lot of places in the Caribbean. There were people smoking pot (but hey it's the caribbean). They were pretty descrete about it. I had to return my flippers and he was out back behind the little shack. It was a quite day when I was there. We almost had the beach to ourself (besides another couple and maybe a local or two). I love Coki Beach but it has been a few years. It has a true caribbean, rustic feel and not commercialized at all. The beach is on the caribbean side of the ocean where meaghans bay is on the atlantic. The water clarity is a bit nicer at coki then megahns bay. I prefer St. Johns beaches over St. Thomas, but the last time I was there was nothing like you have described or heard.

Coki Beach is not a luxury resort, but I found the beach itself clean and nice. It'sjust not ritzy, but I certainly did not feel unsafe there. The cheeseburger I got from the food "shack" was actually quite good. I have absolutely no problem with Coki Beach. I certainly wouldn't call it nasty, more like a local beach.

Here are some pics from my most recent trip2267677430104390106S600x600Q85.jpg2412231490104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

I wasn't sure how the food would be from here- but I had a great cheeseburger and there was plenty of cold beer!2492454830104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

Never saw anything even close to a crack pipe on the beach.

I was with my daugher in May and we didn't feel the least bit "unsafe." Papa Bear would never put his customers in any danger.

Anyway, yes, they're doing construction and the beach was fairly small and crowded. We simply walked to the far end, put down our towels, and enjoyed the couple of hours we had there. People came by occasionally to see if we needed drinks or food, but if you said "no thanks," they left.

I haven't read about anyone dying from eating the food, either. :rolleyes:

Maybe some people just have lived a very isolated life! We're too "bubble-wrapped" and overly sanitized.

And to read some people's reviews, it seems that they want to be totally isolated from the locals when they're in port.

For me, it's all part of the traveling experience. Getting off the ship and going to an American chain resort and paying to sit by a pool or on a private beach seems a bit odd. Why not just stay home? Why pay for foreign travel if you're "afraid" it won't be "just like home?"

:confused:

Thanks for the quick answers everyone. I read a few posts on here that mentioned that Coki was unsafe now so I just wanted to see if those of you that have been there recently felt that it was dangerous now. I love St Johns, but we want to take the Grandson's to Coral World and since Coki is next to it I thought we could let them swim awhile before we head back to the ship. Thanks again for the help.

Is Coki beach right next to Coral World? If so I was there and didn't find anything cracked pipes or felt unsafe. I was there over a week ago with 2 kids and DW and we snorkled for bout 3 hours. Taxi driver dropped us off and all of us from ship went with taxi and loved layingout and snorkling. Rented set of lounge chairs and rented 1 set of snorkling gear and enjoyed it. No continual harassment of locals except for lady asking us for drinks or something to eat twice.

We were at Coki on June 15th and never felt unsafe. We had someone come up to us when we were dropped off asking if we wanted to rent a chair or snorkel equipment, we said no and he left us alone. We had one lady ask if we wanted a drink, we said no thank you and she left. We never saw anything scary or immoral at all! Take bread with you and the fish swim right up to you...you don't even have to snorkel!

The only thing scary there that day was the streak lightening from the storm rolling in

Archived