Three People to Room - Pull Down Bed

Hopperhop

:confused:Could someone tell me of their experience with the three to a room situation? We are thinking of doing this on an upcoming cruise on the Sapphire Princess since we will be sailing with an odd number of people this time (5) and thinking of splitting up 3 and 2.

The three people in the one room are 5'11", 6'2" and 6'3". Would people of this height be confortable in the pull down from the ceiling bed or the roll away bed?

We are trying to avoid having the odd person pay the almost double rate if they were to go it alone in a room but I don't want everyone to have an unconfortable or two small of a bed and not get any sleep and ruin the wonderful vacation. Due to cost restraints we would like to stay in an interior or cheaper balcony room and not have to go to the more expensive mini suite, which may not be any better for the bed situation but just more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share with me on this one!! No matter what, I am going on this cruise but the odd person may drop out if we cannot make it work right!!:)

We are going on the July 18th southbound Sapphire from Whittier to Vancouver. We are in Baja 602 and have the cabins across the hall, B618 & B622. Baja 602 shows accomodations for a third person. If you can wait, I will let you know and also how the across the hall cabins work out. We had originally planned a cruise for 5. My husband, our son and me in the balcony cabin and my mother-in-law and father-in-law across the hall. Then our daughter (19) decided to go so we booked the third cabin.

I am 6' and have stayed in the bunk. It is the same size as the single bed. As far as 3 to a room. It worked fine when I traveled with my kids years ago. I would not recommend it if the 3 in the room are women. There just is not enough room for all the personal items and bathroom space.

For one night we had our friend spend the night in our balcony cabin. She was the bride to be.... getting married the following day. We did fine but I am really glad we had the extended balcony on Carib also. We all ended up out there for breakfast and air. It was tight dressing for the wedding. No problem for one night and day but would have been too tight for longer!!!!!

Being that the single beds are the same size as the bunks..... if you are 6' or over you feet will hang over in the bed on the floor also.The beds are not any shorter than a standard single bed they are more narrow. Pushed together they make a queen size bed instead of a King. Being that I am longer than the beds I just have to pull out the sheets that are tucked in at the bottom.

My kids are 6'3" and 6' and would cruise in a heart beat if I was picking up the tab ;)

We've done three in a cabin often. Its no problem. The pull down bed has been fine for our son who is around 5' 11". I would suggest avoiding the rollaway as it takes up too much cabin space. BTW last time on the Island we had to sign a waiver for the pull down bed as we converted out two twins to a double because there was no cushion if someone fell from the pull down. No big deal for us. :)

On our recent Ruby cruise DS and his family of his partner and two small children had a balcony on Aloha. They had one pull down bed and a rollaway. As is the way with children, on some nights neither of them wanted to sleep in the rollaway and, so my son who is 6'2" tall slept in it instead and he says it was very comfortable and it certainly looked comfortable and much larger than normal roll away beds. He also said they he would not like to sleep in the pull down bed:eek:

The rollaway was brought in by the steward at turndown and was not a problem for them.

:confused:Could someone tell me of their experience with the three to a room situation? We are thinking of doing this on an upcoming cruise on the Sapphire Princess since we will be sailing with an odd number of people this time (5) and thinking of splitting up 3 and 2.

The three people in the one room are 5'11", 6'2" and 6'3". Would people of this height be confortable in the pull down from the ceiling bed or the roll away bed?

We are trying to avoid having the odd person pay the almost double rate if they were to go it alone in a room but I don't want everyone to have an unconfortable or two small of a bed and not get any sleep and ruin the wonderful vacation. Due to cost restraints we would like to stay in an interior or cheaper balcony room and not have to go to the more expensive mini suite, which may not be any better for the bed situation but just more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience you can share with me on this one!! No matter what, I am going on this cruise but the odd person may drop out if we cannot make it work right!!:)

We have used the triple/quads on almost all our cruises, you can't beat the value.

As others have noted the fold out bed length as the same as the regular bed. The notable difference is the fold down HAVE a hard rim around the edge so hanging your leggs off it won't at all be like hanging off the regular bed which has NO hard rim. The shorter person will like want to be accomidating and take the fold out. Beyond having limited walking space and head room with the fold out at night we always found 3 to a room was a deal too good to pass up.

Good luck.

We have used the triple/quads on almost all our cruises, you can't beat the value.

As others have noted the fold out bed length as the same as the regular bed. The notable difference is the fold down HAVE a hard rim around the edge so hanging your leggs off it won't at all be like hanging off the regular bed which has NO hard rim. The shorter person will like want to be accomidating and take the fold out. Beyond having limited walking space and head room with the fold out at night we always found 3 to a room was a deal too good to pass up.

Good luck.

I was pricing out a PNW coastal cruise on Sapphire for 2011 & didn't see a price break for a third person. We will be 3 adults (women) sharing a balcony cabin. Is there usually a price break for 3 on Princess? This will be our first Princess cruise so not sure what their policies are.

Thanks for any advice!

Three to a cabin is a tight fit. We had our three kids in a triple and there were clothes everwhere. I told the steward to forget about there room! Just a thought-Princess does not give a break for the third or fourth in a cabin which other cruise lines do...If you could find one more person to invite you would be better off getting another room as it wouldn't cost any more.

Three to a cabin is a tight fit. We had our three kids in a triple and there were clothes everwhere. I told the steward to forget about there room! Just a thought-Princess does not give a break for the third or fourth in a cabin which other cruise lines do...If you could find one more person to invite you would be better off getting another room as it wouldn't cost any more.

They do give a break on the 3rd and 4th in the room. When I was pricing out a cruise for the 4 of us the price for an inside was $629.00 pp. 2 in the room before taxes came to $1258.00 and 4 to a room came to $2056.00 before taxes. The total for 2 separate rooms with 2 in each room would be $2516.00 before taxes. For 460.00 more I decided to book 2 rooms. My sons are 14 and 17 and it is starting to get crowded sharing a room even it there is a balcony. This will be the first time that they will be sharing their own room. I have the feeling that I will be telling the steward the same thing.

We've done three in a cabin often. Its no problem. The pull down bed has been fine for our son who is around 5' 11". I would suggest avoiding the rollaway as it takes up too much cabin space. BTW last time on the Island we had to sign a waiver for the pull down bed as we converted out two twins to a double because there was no cushion if someone fell from the pull down. No big deal for us. :)
We were in a cabin with fold down beds once and were told the beds at floor level needed to be split into twins to provide an aisle in case of emergency. Seeing as there were just two of us we could keep the queen config.

The only time we had three adults in a room we got a minisuite, and the couch became a very comfortable bed (unlike normal folding-beds). We were extremely glad we got the minisuite for the 12 day cruise, as it gave us enough room in the cabin. It was worth the extra cost to us.

We used both pull down and roll away bed before. Had a 5'10 on them with no problem.

Pull down bed is harder than the regular bed while roll away bed is softer than regular bed. We prefer harder over softer but it is your personal choice. The only thing bad about pull down bed is that it has a safety night light right to your head, which is really annoying. We had to use pillow or other object to cover it.

my daughter and 2 friends (all 23-years old) shared an ov cabin last month and had no problem. the bathroom counter was a bit small, but they managed fine.

we got really good pricing for the cabin and the 3rd person was more expensive than the first 2. the girls were looking for a 4th to join them so they could have 2 rooms instead. it would have been cheaper.

We just did a triple balcony on the Diamond. Our 10yr old daughter slept in bunk. Either me or my husband could have as well. My problem was the bed was kept down all the time and I hitmy head twice on the corner. I finally put a red blanket on the corner so I wouldn't knock myself out. Be aware that the 2 lower beds will NOT push together in a triple. Well you could, but the ladder to the upper goes in between.

I cruised to Alaska on the Diamond Princess and it was a nightmare to have 4 adults in a balcony cabin. The beds pull down from the ceiling taking up considerable space in the cabin and providing a pretty uncomfortable experience for the person in the "regular" bed (since the beds pull down pretty close to the "regular" bed and don't give much room to sit up). The beds are hard to avoid even walking through the cabin because they take up so much space. I would never do this again (and the configuration would be similar with only 3 adults only there would be one less bed pulled down), but others seem to have better experiences than I did. I'm just offering my experience thus far (and giving Princess another chance--booked a mini suite for my next cruise).

I cruised to Alaska on the Diamond Princess and it was a nightmare to have 4 adults in a balcony cabin. The beds pull down from the ceiling taking up considerable space in the cabin and providing a pretty uncomfortable experience for the person in the "regular" bed (since the beds pull down pretty close to the "regular" bed and don't give much room to sit up). The beds are hard to avoid even walking through the cabin because they take up so much space. I would never do this again (and the configuration would be similar with only 3 adults only there would be one less bed pulled down), but others seem to have better experiences than I did. I'm just offering my experience thus far (and giving Princess another chance--booked a mini suite for my next cruise).

Did you ask your room steward to please put the beds away in the AM? That is what I would have done if they were a bother.

Archived