Advice on RCCL vs Princess

Lynzchat

Yes, you're correct, one cruise is 5 versus 7. I'm glad you gave edge to Crown because I just booked it about 30 minutes ago based on feedback! I'm so excited and so glad that you like the Crown. Not sure what a live thread is, but I'll do a search on kitchen adjustments.

Thanks again everyone! I love and value everyone's postings!:)

Shogun, a veteran Princess cruiser, did a thread and updated it every day (sometimes more) on his recent Crown Princess cruise. It is very informative. You can do a search on kitchen and it will come up. It was updated as recently as yesterday.

I think you made the right choice. It's a great ship. But you should book both specialty restaurants whether or not you like main dining room (function hall) food. They are both very good. I also think the difference between a 5 day cruise and a 7 day cruise is too much to pass up.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1002086

that's the link for Shogun's thread on the crown - all 10 pages.

I did a detailed review this past winter after cruising on sister ships of both of those you're considering within a few weeks of each other. Here's the link...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=944921&highlight=

It won't help you to compare itineraries, but it will certainly give you a flavor of the cruise experiences on both ships.

Bob--really if I preorder something for the room, like champagne or wine, then instead of being in the room, they just put vouchers? For Carnival, we ordered wine for each night and they had the wine there when we got to the room...so Princess doesn't do that?:confused:

That's what I found out with my first Princess sailing last October. A little annoying, but it didn't take away at all from our overall wonderful experience.....:):):)

Bob

I did a detailed review this past winter after cruising on sister ships of both of those you're considering within a few weeks of each other. Here's the link...

It won't help you to compare itineraries, but it will certainly give you a flavor of the cruise experiences on both ships.

Just finished reading your review. Thanks for taking the time to post a great review.....:):):)

Bob

I'm sure you will be very happy with the Crown Princess. When you posted the 2 cruises in your first post I didn't even realize they were different numbers of days. I really need at least a week to regroup on a vacation. You will ha ve a wonderful time!!

I like both lines but prefer Princess. I was on The Crown about 2 years ago and it is a wonderful ship. It was my first MUTS experience. A lot of fun wathcing football on the big pool screen. Since you like food, The Crown Grill is excellent and Sabatini's is a wonderful experience. Unless there is a big price difference, I would go with Princess.

Thank you so much, the DH will appreciate the fact that the MUTS also has sports showing, I can only subject him to a few chick flicks at a time! I'm assuming popcorn is served because that's what the marketing photos show!:confused:

Pesca-- thank so much for sharing you review with me. I read the review twice just so I could really understand the difference between both lines. I envy you status and the perks that come with it, I only hope that my DH and I can get to a nice status someday!:D

Romance is what we're looking for...after 5 years, we need some romance!;)

I should have clarified about my Carnival comment, we enjoyed it but when we went to the piano bar, it was always empty, no piano player, but it was like everyone was packed in the disco, so you're right we want romance and I'm hoping that Crown is the place!

Romance...well, you're on your own with that one! :D

I've seen good, fair, and bad piano entertainers on the Navigator and the CB (haven't sailed on the Crown), but at least there always is one. I don't care for the disco on the Navigator. MUTS is great on Princess, and Princess is good at scheduling a lot of entertainment at night. Both lines now offer anytime dining. I seem to have more fun on RCCL, even though I don't use any of the sports activities, and enjoy the quiet solarium area (no fee, unlike the Sanctuary). On our last RCCL cruise, we noticed that none of the bartenders used measures when pouring, and seemed to pour nice drinks.

Princess tends to be priced better. Lately we have been going on 4 nighters with RCCL, since Princess doesn't offer these in FL, and choosing Princess for 7 nighters, since RCCL costs so much more. We prefer Celebrity above all, but on price we have been choosing Princess.

Just got off the Adventure of the Seas last week and hands down Princess wins unless you are into the rock wall and ice skating. Princess has new movies, better shows, more game shows and better food with 24 hours eating nothing that Royal had.

Just got off the Adventure of the Seas last week and hands down Princess wins unless you are into the rock wall and ice skating. Princess has new movies, better shows, more game shows and better food with 24 hours eating nothing that Royal had.

Really the food stations are open 24 hours? Just curious, is there popcorn at the MUTS? Also, does the MUTS only play in the evening or is it also during the day?

Really the food stations are open 24 hours? Just curious, is there popcorn at the MUTS? Also, does the MUTS only play in the evening or is it also during the day?

I think there is food 24 hours in the buffet. There is popcorn at MUTS at night, but only for short times. There are also blankets, but they sometimes run out. There are films from morning until evening, and even some midnight shows.

Yes the Lido deck is open 24 hours for beverages and eating as well as the pizza. It turns into a bistro after I think 11ish where you order off of a menu. I missed the 24 hour beverages and food on the Royal ship - they closed down at 9 pm and the only beverage you could get was water or hot coffee and pizza or a piece of dessert. Makes you appreciate Princess more when you try another line like that.

Muts does operate all day and at night gives blankets and popcorn plus puts special covers on the chairs which they do wash after they remove them. They not only show just released movies but football games as well and one night generally shows the Rocky Mountain Horror picture show. You can fall asleep watching a movie under the stars.

Yes the Lido deck is open 24 hours for beverages and eating as well as the pizza. It turns into a bistro after I think 11ish where you order off of a menu. I missed the 24 hour beverages and food on the Royal ship - they closed down at 9 pm and the only beverage you could get was water or hot coffee and pizza or a piece of dessert. Makes you appreciate Princess more when you try another line like that.

Muts does operate all day and at night gives blankets and popcorn plus puts special covers on the chairs which they do wash after they remove them. They not only show just released movies but football games as well and one night generally shows the Rocky Mountain Horror picture show. You can fall asleep watching a movie under the stars.

How exciting this concept of MUTS? Is there ever a problem getting a lounge chair? I'm in horror reading some of the posts about how people stake lounge chairs for the day! Boy, our cruise is such a long way, I can only obsess on these boards in the meantime! Thanks so much for your help!:D

I think there is food 24 hours in the buffet. There is popcorn at MUTS at night, but only for short times. There are also blankets, but they sometimes run out. There are films from morning until evening, and even some midnight shows.

Thanks for the info on MUTS, this is such a great concept compared to how we would technically just stay in our cabins all day/night watching movies! At least we get some sunshine at MUTS!

I've sailed RCI & just sailed Star Princess in May. After my time on Star, I much prefer Princess. On Star I liked the feeling of spaciousness & finding spots that felt out of the way or secluded - not always tons of people. One of our original reasons for booking Princess was Anytime Dining. It especially helped with cruising to Alaska. We live in Georgia & knew we certainly didn't want to wait for late dining! We'd be starved or asleep! We ate part of our meals at the buffet and the rest in the dining room. Great service. We were celebrating anniversaries & Princess makes sure even in Anytime your special day is honored. We had a note at our room asking us to hand the note to the maitre'd so they could arrange for our celebration. We had special dessert, nice cake & cookies plus of course, a serenade from the waiters! Also, with Anytime dining, we didn't have to worry about being back from a shore excursion to make it to dinner.

We had plenty of entertainment. But Alaska was the main entertainment. Had a balcony room that we watched the beauty of nature as we sailed by.

Enjoy your cruise - no matter which one you plan to sail on!

How exciting this concept of MUTS? Is there ever a problem getting a lounge chair? I'm in horror reading some of the posts about how people stake lounge chairs for the day! Boy, our cruise is such a long way, I can only obsess on these boards in the meantime! Thanks so much for your help!:D

These folks are gone for dinner and the inside night entertainment. People will watch the movies from the hot tubs or the loungers. We have never had a problem getting loungers. They are on several decks of watching the movie. Best time for popcorn is the first showing of the evening - generally there are 2-3 movies each night.

Yes, they pass out popcorn during MUTS. Blankets are also available if you need them. :p They do have some stuff on MUTS during the day as well. Enjoy!

Archived