Golden stained carpet +ceiling, mildew bathroom

zodiacman

I read of above problems with Golden recently. I know a lot of remodel was done to public areas in spring of 09 , but what is the condition of staterooms on Aloha deck forward balcony cabins?

Carpeting is cleaned and or/replaced as needed on all ships. They don't have to be in dry dock for things like this. Mildew is a cleaning problem, which if found, needs to be brought to the attention of the room steward or their supervisor. It happens occasionally on all ships. But if found, needs to be reported ASAP.

On the Golden (05/30) in our mini we had carpet that was in bad need of replacement.

The tiles around the bathtub were broken and gross. The sink had a large chunk of the front of it glued back on.

We brought this to the attention of the Accomodations Manager and she arranged to have the carpet replaced one afternoon until she realized they were out of all mini carpet and awaiting delivery.

During the dry dock the major public areas were finished but alot of cabins were not done. As I walked down Dolphin deck on the Starboard side I could see the majority of the rooms were not finished.

I don't know if any Dolphin minis have been done yet. :eek:

On the Golden (05/30) in our mini we had carpet that was in bad need of replacement.

The tiles around the bathtub were broken and gross. The sink had a large chunk of the front of it glued back on.

We brought this to the attention of the Accomodations Manager and she arranged to have the carpet replaced one afternoon until she realized they were out of all mini carpet and awaiting delivery.

During the dry dock the major public areas were finished but alot of cabins were not done. As I walked down Dolphin deck on the Starboard side I could see the majority of the rooms were not finished.

We are going to be in D421 in a few weeks. Based on your post, should we expect it to be in bad shape? Mmmmm, maybe thats why they upgraded us to it ...

Not to continue sharing the not so good news about the Golden's Dolphin mini-suites but we were in D312 for the June 13th sailing (I think that was the cabin number, we had an inside and mini directly across and I can never remember which was which) and I also noticed that the carpet definitely needed to be replaced. The overall condition of the mini was not what I was expecting. It seemed a bit worn out and run down. Still had a great time and of course the steward kept things very clean. And for what it is worth I found the mattress to be great. :)

We sailed on the Golden in May and thought the ship was in great condition. Thought the only reason for her refurb was to add additional rooms. We were in an ov room midship on the Emerald deck -- our only real complaint (everyone and everything else was wonderful), was that we had an overcharge on our bill that we never could get removed and the pool towels are at such a premium that one cool day, we had to keep reusing soggy cold towels as we could get no new ones.

Other than that, I don't think the ship is in as bad of condition as some make it out to be. I would have been irritated to no end if we had all the construction going on during my cruise, but aside from that, if it is better since the refurb, think you will love the Golden....what a great ship with really one of the best crews known to mankind.

We sailed on the Golden in May and thought the ship was in great condition. Thought the only reason for her refurb was to add additional rooms. We were in an ov room midship on the Emerald deck -- our only real complaint (everyone and everything else was wonderful), was that we had an overcharge on our bill that we never could get removed and the pool towels are at such a premium that one cool day, we had to keep reusing soggy cold towels as we could get no new ones.

Other than that, I don't think the ship is in as bad of condition as some make it out to be. I would have been irritated to no end if we had all the construction going on during my cruise, but aside from that, if it is better since the refurb, think you will love the Golden....what a great ship with really one of the best crews known to mankind.

Other then the Dolphin deck minis I never said anything about the ship being in bad shape :eek:.

Fact is in my live from my reports were very positive, I thought the public areas that were affected/updated etc were fantastic.

It is a fact that the carpet in the minis on the odd side Starboard (I looked everyday as I walked past while "Stewart" was cleaning) were all in need of new carpert and this was confirmed by the accmodations manager who I spoke to personaly. The carpet was due in so lets hope by the time people on here that have upcoming cruises that it will be completed.

Some can live with nasty carpet, but I have issue with it so thats why I brought it up in the first place. :)

We were in one of the covered mini-suite cabins, and the carpet was frayed and in need of replacement. The cabin could really use some updating - upholstery was dated and worn-looking, and it took superhuman strength to open the balcony door. These things, while noticeable, were not a huge deal for us. However, the mattress is a different story - it was rock-hard and the egg crate pad helped only slightly. Everyone we talked to said their mattress was hard (some like it, some don't). Hopefully they will get around to upgrading the bedding soon.

We were in one of the covered mini-suite cabins, and the carpet was frayed and in need of replacement. The cabin could really use some updating - upholstery was dated and worn-looking, and it took superhuman strength to open the balcony door. These things, while noticeable, were not a huge deal for us. However, the mattress is a different story - it was rock-hard and the egg crate pad helped only slightly. Everyone we talked to said their mattress was hard (some like it, some don't). Hopefully they will get around to upgrading the bedding soon.

Hey guys!!

Funny thing about this mattress problem you had is that you probably did have the upgraded mattress. The new ones are those that are rock hard, the old ones are the softer ones. So, it could be years before Princess decides to change the mattresses again.

Funny thing about this mattress problem you had is that you probably did have the upgraded mattress. The new ones are those that are rock hard, the old ones are the softer ones. So, it could be years before Princess decides to change the mattresses again.

Goodness, I hope not! The only comparison I have to Princess is HAL, but when they upgraded their mattresses, it was definitely an upgrade - theirs are similar to what you find in a good hotel - extra deep and very plushy (is that a word?). This is what I had been expecting when I read "luxury mattresses". :rolleyes:

see my above post.

We were in D-403 which is only a few down from your cabin.

Thanks, Keith, for the honest report. Now I know that I will need to pack slippers and socks!

I have issues with "icky" flooring, so I get it!:o

Thanks, Keith, for the honest report. Now I know that I will need to pack slippers and socks!

I have issues with "icky" flooring, so I get it!:o

Tracie

I always take an inexpensive pair of flipflops. You can wear them in the shower and they slip on and off easily as you get into or out of bed.

Now that I told my wife about this she wants to cancel this booked cruise for jan 2010 . We went on saphire in jan o9 it it was like new. maybe we wil have to do a 2x cruise on her in jan again. we must leave from cal. as do not want to fly into a port. Any ideas are welcome . Thanks again.

Goodness, I hope not! The only comparison I have to Princess is HAL, but when they upgraded their mattresses, it was definitely an upgrade - theirs are similar to what you find in a good hotel - extra deep and very plushy (is that a word?). This is what I had been expecting when I read "luxury mattresses". :rolleyes:

Well, we had a brand new mattress in our PH suite on the Grand in January. The room steward said it had just been replaced the cruise before we boarded. This wasn't the first time we have had one of the new mattresses. I can think of a lot of words to describe them, but the word plush will not fit in there anywhere. Yes, the new mattesses are the extra extra firm ones (I am sure that is what you found), and they are new. We would love to request an OLD mattress for our next sailing, never had any problems with those, but these new ones are horrible (unless you enjoy sleeping on a rock hard bed that is). We had three or four egg crate mattress toppers on ours, and even then, It barely made a difference. Next cruise, I will be either taking or purchasing in Hawaii a memory foam topper to use onboard, as neither of us could sleep for 14 nights, worth a darn last cruise.

Now that I told my wife about this she wants to cancel this booked cruise for jan 2010 . We went on saphire in jan o9 it it was like new. maybe we wil have to do a 2x cruise on her in jan again. we must leave from cal. as do not want to fly into a port. Any ideas are welcome . Thanks again.

Sorry to hear this but at least you know what to expect, there is no telling how long it will take them to get the majority of the cabins done. As stated this is always an ongoing process onboard ships, however I would have thought that during this drydock this would have been a higher priority. :)

Archived