Dawn Princess World Cruise

Now heading for Limassol , Cyprus.

oh I am so excited that they are going there...My father was born there and I still have relatives that live there.... actually my mothers cousins husband owns a pretty major travel and shipping company.... I think they have a couple of small cruise ships that do the greek islands and the holy land and egypt.... I can remember mum and dad going on one of his cruises years ago...

it has been 20 -25 years ago that I have been there, it is just lovely... my aunt lives in a village called Kato amiandos which is on the way to Troodos Mountain ( i am sure is one of the shore tours ).

Alot of English travel to cyprus for holidays and some have built some lovely holiday homes around their area... actually they employ alot of the locals as chauffuers, housekeepers and cooks.

Over the years there has been a high presence of English troops due to the invasion of the turks and the splitting of such a beautiful country.

I remember the last time I was there driving past a tent village full of greek refugees who had to flee their homes in the middle of night... sad thing was that was 10 years after it happened..:-( how lucky are we here....

Phaphos, kolossi castle, the mosaic floors... gosh you can tell that i am excited about this stop....

not on next years itinery , but hopefully they will in 2011...

ok... travel lecture over now.... :D sorry everyone.... started to type couldn't stop LOL

No need to be sorry. Real life stories and others experiences in all these ports of call helps bring the whole cruise to life.

thanks dave... wish the sun would come up ... I have to leave shortly to take DD1 to the dentist ... wisdom teeth problems I think... sound familiar LOL...

by the time i return they should be docked !!

Was it a wisdom tooth problem?

Jillybean

it was but the dentist thought that the particular side that the pain she was having, the wisdom tooth had settled itself down nicely again... I think she might have had an infection or absess and by the time we got to the appointment it was gone..

all wisdom teeth are making their way down but he thinks unless they flare up regularly that we should sit tight for now.. he told us to keep curasept handy ( mouth wash ) to treat any discomfort if it flares up again... we will just monitor it..

to a 20year old that was what she wanted to hear as she lives in fear that they may need to be removed....

we will see if it happens again... I don't want to do any unnecessary procedures but if it has to happen I want to happen while she is still young enough to be covered by our family medical fund...... that is why we are paying the big bucks!!!

thanks for asking Jilly

here is an interesting take on the current world cruise by Reuben Goossens

Thanks for the link packetau... very interesting write up.

This part..>>

And as one staff member put it to me, “They know very well that Australian’s cop it on the shoulder and they generally do not complain like the Americans do, for Americans would never have put up with what you received so far

<< was notable.

I was told by a DP staff member last year that "Australians are easy to please".

From such a comment you could assume many things?? Personally I feel we are more relaxed and ready for a good time whilst on holiday where others just continuously look for faults. I pitty the others because in the end who has the better time on their cruise??

Reuben's report about visas not obtained by some because of poor advice from TAs is not surprising in the least. I do feel that something as important as advice on visas should be the direct responsibility of the shipping line and not left to chance with TAs as is done now.

When you are half way around the world and find you have been given bad advice by the TA back home you will not be able to do much about it whereas the ship can in most cases.

On the brighter side, they certainly have visited some magnificent ports and will have a lot of marvelous memories.

Ohhh to win lotto!! :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

how nice were those pictures of cyprus ....... I want to go back.....

off to egypt now..... did I tell you that my mother was born in Egypt.... alexandria lol...

Her mother was greek and her father were greek cypriot ... back then alot of greeks went to egypt to find work.... actually alot went to egypt then moved onto australia...

(and alot of those old greeks are very wealthy people now with the business they started)

My grandfather left egypt and came to australia first to find work, then send the money to get my grandmother and the 3 children out here...

But then world war 2 started.... Mum lived through many air raids and had their home bombed during one of them...

Eventally after the war my grandmother and kids where able to come out to australia and were actually on the first ship to arrive into australia after the war Strathmore I think.... alot of the europeans had to travel to Port Said to join these ships..

They arrived in fremantle first then made their way around via melbourne to Sydney...

Mum was only 15 and all she wanted to do was go to school.... but my grandfather had to payback my grandmothers brother back the money which helped get them back, so she had to work in his fish shop instead!!

Ok back to work... history lecture over LOL

joanne

http://www.cruise-australia.net/DP-world-cruise-review.htm

here is an interesting take on the current world cruise by Reuben Goossens

Thanks for that....

a great read, he makes some good points.

I get the feeling he is not too keen on the Cruise Director.

His comments on port shuttles hit home,

as that is exactly what we found on Dawns Round Australia cruise.

In ports where the locals dont put one on for free,

all Princess have to do is add, say 5 or 10 dollars to the cruise fare ,

and then they would not upset people by appearing to be penny pinching,

or as the Americans say nickel and diming.

david that is correct....

$100 extra when paying the fare seems easier to swallow than $10 everytime you get off the boat added to the cruise card..

like the drink prices... just put on the menu the price we are going to pay not $9 + gratuity cause that tends to rub us non tipping aussies up the wrong way LOL....

damn I missed it.. thanks for the pictures... running between here and the kitchen as it is DD2 18th birthday party tonight...eeek... wish me luck LOL...

shame we don't know anyone who has a suite ot the aft

you can nearly reach out and touch them....LOL

I've just read the review by Reuben Goossens from on board Dawn Princess, interesting reading. He is a very well travelled man, especially knowledgable on world cruising.

He does seem to have an issue with the Cruise Director Sammy Baker. Has anyone else had her as a CD on their cruise? I would be interested to hear your take on her with any details.

Jillybean:)

jillybean after reading this report I did a search on the princess forum on cruise directors... there is a thread that asks who is your favourite cruise director... and lo and behold there are alot of positive reports for sammi...

joanne

Archived